WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : making samples

mommycourt
10-16-2009, 01:37 PM
i'm going to bump this up so my question can get answered :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was wondering how you make your own?? Do you have to literally warm all your scent samples up and pour them into your containers??? Wow, that takes alot of time I bet! lol

And this may be a silly question but bear with me, I'm new :)
How do you get the "cold" samples out of the sample containers they give you in order to warm them up?

I def dont have the $80 to spend on the basket scents so I would love to make my own when my starter kit arrives. Thanks so much on any advice!!!!! :)

jessicaj
10-16-2009, 03:34 PM
I warm mine up in the microwave and poor the wax into small molds. I use a measuring cup w/ a spout to pour. Then once they are cold I just flip over the mold and they come out. It really doesn't take that long.

Wax Menagerie
10-19-2009, 07:23 AM
You could buy a 6 pack of the top selling tart chunks, make samples from a few of each scent then sell the rest of the chunks individually in little organza bags as a mix & match for customers to buy.

i'm going to bump this up so my question can get answered :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was wondering how you make your own?? Do you have to literally warm all your scent samples up and pour them into your containers??? Wow, that takes alot of time I bet! lol

And this may be a silly question but bear with me, I'm new :)
How do you get the "cold" samples out of the sample containers they give you in order to warm them up?

I def dont have the $80 to spend on the basket scents so I would love to make my own when my starter kit arrives. Thanks so much on any advice!!!!! :)

christy007
10-19-2009, 08:23 AM
Hi Courtney!

Are you talking about making your own Basket Testers to lend out from the party testers in your kit? If so I will warn you, it absolutely is a very long process, lol, but it is definitely worth it in the end!!! I purchased the little tiny containers to use as basket testers and then I took my party tester and warmed it with my blow dryer then scooped out little chunks with a 1/4 tsp measuring spoon. I put them in a 200 degree oven for about 6-7 minutes, several at a time. I won't lie, it is definitely kind of a pain, but you can get a couple sets of small basket testers out of just one party tester and there is still enough wax left in your PT to still use for parties if you need to! I did try to warm the PT in the microwave and pour into my little tester, but it was way too messy for me. I do know that some ladies have done this and it worked. Maybe you can come up with a better system!

As for making samples to give out, I warm a little block from a bar in the microwave on a plate for about 15 seconds and then I cut the block into little cubes. I don't really give mine out for use, just for a scent sample so I cute mine pretty small, but you could cut them in four if you wanted them to be usable. I get a lot of little scent samples out of one little block!!

Mom21ds
10-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Hi Courtney!

Welcome to Scentsy! Like Christy asked, are you talking about making basket testers? Or actually using your party testers to make samples? If you are talking about using them to make samples, I wouldn't, because then you won't have the tester to use anymore. If you are talking about using them to make basket testers then they way I am going to make mine is to scrape the wax out of the container and melt with a Wilton's Chocolate melter.

mommycourt
10-19-2009, 12:11 PM
Thanks ladies! yes, I am talking mainly about the basket testers just b/c i know i want at least 3 sets, but cant really afford to buy 1, let alone 3!! lol I learned my lesson with my first direct sales company, that I am NOT buying anything until I have at least gotten a paycheck!! It's hard though b/c for my open house, I would like to have these basket testers done in case someone wants to take one right then and I also wanted to have some bars there and ready in case past customers want them for their warmers...but all this costs MONEY! lol but I have to remember that it IS going to cost me something to start up this business and I realize that :) So onto some cheap, creative thinking for my open house!!

I also was thinking of making some samples for everyone that comes to the open house that orders something, but they really cant do anything with it until they get their warmer if they are a new customer?!

If you make your own testers/samples, do you even have enough in your party tester to keep showing them at home parties?? I dont want them to get down to nothing! thanks for any/all advice!! I appreciate it! :)

imamomagain
10-19-2009, 12:27 PM
I just made 3 more sets yesterday. I have 8 sets all together. I still have enough wax left in the party testers to use them for my parties. I will pm you the information on where I get my containers.
It IS alot of work, but it is SO worth it!! I finally have the method down pat on making them!

LorettaA
10-20-2009, 04:33 AM
I placed about 6 basket testers in the microwave and warmed them just enough to make them soft then I took a tiny teaspoon and scooped out a little piece to put in the new container. Then I put about 6 of the new little containers in the microwave so the wax could melt down, took them out and set them on wax paper to harden, once hardened and cool I closed them up.

So, it's a switching process about 6 at a time. It takes a little while, but it's not too bad. My daughter loved helping so we spent some quality time together. :)

bcylab
10-23-2009, 11:35 AM
So I ahve a questons, where is the best place to get the little containers? For not htat much money. I have no need for the huge containers and want to make basket testers out of them.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1