WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

mom2for
09-25-2009, 09:49 AM
I have a friend who ruined her kitchen. My nephew caused fire damage. And now I've ALMOST done it! I was cooking on the stove, thought I would check an email, and completely forgot I had the burner on high! Fortunately I needed to go look something up in my address book, which I keep in the kitchen. Now I can see how easy it happens.

Has this happened to you? Did you completely destroy the kitchen or just a little? I'll bet even "just a little" is not just a LITTLE expensive!

andr117
11-04-2009, 08:01 AM
Fortunatelly nothing serious happened to me.The only thing I spoiled was a pan, as I forgot I had some vegetables on it, well, you know how it happens...

lacandlegirl
11-04-2009, 08:33 AM
When I was pregnant I did this a lot. Nothing serious happened bc our fire alarm is super sensitve. If someone smokes in the house it goes off.

I found I did a lot of thing like this when I was pregnant. I found the telephone in the refrigerator one day. I even place ground beef in my kitchen cabinet instead of the freezer. Luckly my DH caught it before it went bad and got stinky.

avia4life
11-04-2009, 01:54 PM
The real problem is that technology is not keeping up with our needs! See, what we wahm's need is a computer that will allow us to oversee cooking while we continue with our work!!!

Someday ladies, someday!!!!

MichelleTexas
11-04-2009, 05:01 PM
I burned my son's fish sticks in the toaster oven the other day because I was on the computer and forgot. He was upset he had to wait another 20 minutes.

sgoodknight
11-04-2009, 07:07 PM
WOW! Good thing you were able to catch that one!

I wasn't married and NOT a mom when I nearly destroyed my kitchen! I was cooking, well frying something actually and I was only 19 at the time. You know, don't know what I know today! Some grease splattered and it was a gas stove and caught fire....

DUMB me threw the stupid thing in the sink and turned on the water!!!!! Yup, you guessed it right and the fire just TOOK OFF! Burned the curtains and blackened the cupboards and the ceiling. Fortunately it didn't do anything a little cleaning, paint and a a set of new curtains couldn't handle!

Learned my lesson though that you use FLOUR!!!!!!

ThinkBig22
11-08-2009, 06:32 PM
I once put eggs in a pot to hard boil them. I got on the computer...2 hours later I went into the kitchen and all the water had vaporated away...not as exciting as burning down the kitchen, but thats my story.

littleangel
11-16-2009, 11:27 PM
Hi fellows:
interesting discussion i found in this forum. I also once waste milk that i put on the stove to boil. I wan indulge in computer as much as i forget that milk is going out of pan. My mother daunt me very much on my blunder. But it was very funny too.
I enjoy it very much to share this experience with you people.

kristijmt
11-18-2009, 05:09 PM
I was trying to impress my mom and dad with a new recipe that called for bacon cooked in the oven. Well, silly me didn't think about needing to put the bacon in something with sides to catch the grease. I put it on a flat cookie sheet. Bacon grease + gas oven = ???? Yep, caught my oven on fire. The house was filled with smoke, my kids were outside crying because they didn't know what was going on, my poor dad - who was 81, couldn't talk due to cancer, hard of hearing, and used a walker - was in the bathroom, and the smoke alarms were going crazy. I called my hubby, who was at his friends house, and asked him "Honey, how do you put out a grease fire?" When he asked if he needed to come home I just said "No, just tell me how to put out a grease fire!" Luckily, it wasn't real big and did no permanent damage to anything. The oven still works, although it takes a bit longer to light.:o

busymomma
12-02-2009, 08:33 PM
My mom has done this so many times we can't even count. But this was with no technology! She'd put stuff on and then go read in the living room while it cooked. This would usually be after a much longer than 12 hours of a home daycare, so I do get it. lol But I never knew until hubby BBQ'd for me that it wasn't supposed to be black and "cajun'ed" lol

I am lucky not to have to worry about it when I remember that I can disconnect my laptop and bring it in the kitchen. lol Not saying I always remember that, but it works awesome when I do remember.

Terry Bernard
12-03-2009, 12:39 AM
Hi,
These cases are very common in houses to women who are busy on computer doing
business at home and something just burn in kitchen.I have an easy solution for busy moms.Just stop cooking start ordering something from outside this will keep you save from damage and ruin.if you like cooking do both tasks together connect your lap top in kitchen and easily cook your favorite food.

Thanks...

dpaulp
12-06-2009, 07:21 AM
Whew.... the good thing about this story is that it can only happen to those who cook. I'm not a very big cooker. Give me my $5 foot long

MarilynVance
12-08-2009, 10:49 AM
I recently turned on my burner to heat up a pot of water for tea. I didnt realize however, that I actually turned on the wrong burner! That burner had a cookie sheet laying on it with a plastic spatula. My house was soon filled with nasty smoke and I had a bubbling pile of plastic on my pan. Haha!

Kath331
12-31-2009, 04:24 AM
Fortunately nothing serious has happened to my kitchen.....yet. I have had to replace a few small pots and a pan, though. I especially forget when I make hard boiled eggs. Who would have though they explode like that?!?!

websitemarketing
01-25-2010, 06:11 PM
I have boiled water until there was no more water overflowed food that required milk and water over cooked pie among other things forgotten to pick up my hubby,and my computer is really close to the kitchen :(

MommyandMe
01-26-2010, 02:20 PM
Well maybe just a little not as much to destroy the kitchen more like a pot bubbling over or scent of food burning.

KeishaWilliams
01-26-2010, 07:19 PM
I also did this when I was pregnant...I was a total flake! That's all I did was risk our house being burned down.

I exploded boiled eggs and even burnt already cooked chicken wings and my poor kids couldn't eat the pizza...on more than one occasion...how do you burn pizza? LOL LOL

Since then I bought one of those timers that goes off and gives me a near-heart attack everytime...but at least I know when the food is done! :o)

Tayja
01-30-2010, 02:41 PM
My son decided to help with ThanksGiving Dinner 2007. Luckily we caught it before too much damage was done.

We all eat WHITE meat, so I only bought a turkey breast roast rather then a whole bird. If anyone has ever bought the roast you know it comes tied up in a string net to hold it together. It is supposed to take about 3 hours to cook. So I popped it into the oven and went back to my desk.

About 20 minutes later the house started filling with smoke and the alarm was going off. I go running into the kitchen and there is smoke pouring out of the top of the stove. Yank open the oven door and its full of smoke. (no flames). Go and throw the back door open to get some air in there. Run back and grab the bird out of the oven, and the netting is completely charred.

My little helper had turned the oven over to BROIL.

WendyToth
01-30-2010, 04:14 PM
When I was married the first time, I was baking something and it was in a glass container, somehow it managed to get hot enough to explode... not real sure how it happened?! :confused: :rolleyes: :D I don't do enough cooking around here to really do more than burn a few things... hubby does all the cooking and it's actually really awesome food. :D

Tayja
01-31-2010, 08:01 PM
I recently turned on my burner to heat up a pot of water for tea. I didnt realize however, that I actually turned on the wrong burner! That burner had a cookie sheet laying on it with a plastic spatula. My house was soon filled with nasty smoke and I had a bubbling pile of plastic on my pan. Haha!

Just went back and I seen this post... I did something simular to this one once also. Except I was turning water on for pasta and the pan sitting on the burner that I turned on by mistake was one of those aluminum throw away pans. And the oven sat right next to the back door in our very tiny kitchen. - can you see where this is going?

Yeah it burned straight through the pan, which caught the curtains to the window in the door on fire. And wouldn't ya know... the smartest place to hang the fire extinguisher was on the wall BEHIND the stove next to the door... so I couldn't get to it with out risk of burning the &^%$ out of my self!

I'm actually still not sure how I managed to get the extinguisher off the wall with out getting burned, but I did manage to eventually get to it and get the fire put out. My mother how ever was NOT happy when she got home. But no serious damage was done. Some one/thing was definitely watching over me that day!

shellyrae1
02-11-2010, 02:42 PM
I haven't done this, but my husband has ruined two of my good pyrex cake pans because he had it sitting on the stove and turned on the wrong burner. They just exploded. Scary. He's burned plenty of meals because he's on the computer as well.

abct
02-20-2010, 10:50 PM
This is why I use the microwave. HAHA.

hanot08
05-06-2010, 08:28 PM
i remember my cousin joy when i read your post. she had done this also...she almost cause fire in their apartment because she forgot she's cooking while surfing the net. fortunately my older cousin saw it and prevented the kitchen from burning. whew!!!they almost lost their house...

teapot
05-12-2010, 04:32 AM
i remember last years christmas day, i was cooking some recipe for our get together party at the same time i turned on the computer to check for my e mail then suddenly i heard my sister shouting and when i looked at the kitchen, everything was a mess...fortunately i did not burn the house....

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1