WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Why are people so nosy?

mom2for
09-25-2009, 08:15 AM
I had a baby earlier this year. He makes my fourth. When I was pregnant and now when people see me holding him, they think they have the right to ask the nosiest questions. The most popular one is am I done having babies. Why is that anyone's business?

What are the strangest, nosiest questions people are asking you?

happymommy
09-26-2009, 11:43 AM
It's been a while since I was preg with my 1st, so I can't really remember if I got nosy questions or not. I'm not showing all that much yet with this one, so none yet. I've always thought it's sort of inappropriate for someone to ask when you plan to start having babies. What if that person is trying, but having trouble and it's a very emotional topic to them? I don't think anyone means to be nosy when they ask that question...I just don't think they think it completely through. I know I got asked frequently when we were going to have #2 and we were trying for quite a while. It never really bothered me, but I can see how it would some.

And no, it's not anyone's business if you're done or not!

nctiffany
09-28-2009, 03:52 PM
I have a friend back in TN who has six kids. Two are twins and are the youngest two of the six, the oopsy babies. I can remember people making comments to her and she would just say things like "well it's not easy and if I didn't have help from my husband, then of course I wouldn't be able to "handle" six kids." She would keep her replies short. I think people got the message quickly that she wasn't going any further with that topic so they'd either change the subject or walk away.

I personally am one of four kids. I have a baby sister and two older brothers. My dad has since told me that his coworkers used to make jokes at him all the time when one of us had to call him at work. But I sure didn't mind having 3 other siblings, made life very interesting.

It is none of those peoples' business to start with; they're not the ones raising them. Obviously, they don't watch some of the shows on TLC these days where they have enough kids to live in a compound.

Honey, in my opinion, as long as someone(s) is a good parent and is good to their kids and capable to raise multiple kids, then more power to them.

So keep your chin up, sister!:cool:

nctiffany
09-28-2009, 03:55 PM
forgot to address your question.....I think the strangest things weren't really so much of questions as they were comments and I've gotten LOTS of them. I had endometriosis, severely, so I had my son at only 19 and my daughter at 22. Followed by complete hysterectomy. I've had people say things from "oh well you guys will get to grow up together" to just plain rude like "that's just way too young" (that's the one I've heard 1,000 times at least). While I don't condone young pregnancies, I was with a man that I wanted to be with forever and as far as kids went, it was then or never. We had already exhausted all the possible treatment options for the endometriosis.

Annnoura
09-30-2009, 09:55 PM
I don't like being asked all the time "Is he yours?". My one year old looks like his daddy. It's the way they ask it that annoys me. I look younger than I am so I guess they think I'm an unwed teenage mother. (I am both wed and into my 20's) I don't wear a wedding ring but as soon as I start showing with this baby i'm gonna put one on just to avoid the looks.

dagsmom
10-03-2009, 08:19 PM
I swear if anyone comes up to you about your kiddos it is bound to be stupid and frustrating! Haven't had rude questions, but out of line "older" people that feel they have the right to touch my kiddos! I see nothing wrong with 4 kiddos, heck I would if I could, 5 max. But that is my personal preference period and none of anyones business!