WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : History

turn-n-burn
09-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Hello! I have a 2 1 2/ yr old daughter so it will be a couple years away still, but how and what kind of history do you homeschool with K-12 grade? I like Mystery of History but that's kinda for middle school, what history is out there for elementary kids and high school? I live in Iowa and I am kinda nervous about the whole making sure my child knows everything that they are suppose to know especially when it comes to history. How do you know if the child is suppose to be learning world history or government or American history? Bottom line, I'm lost when it comes to history. :-) I would like something that is colorful, hands on.... for elementary that is.

Bailey4
09-14-2009, 01:31 PM
Preschool usually focuses on community and structures in a community.

As your child reaches an age to do puzzles, that can be a fun age to start to do some passive geography. Children can start to play with puzzles of the states, etc.

Crafts and stories are a great way to introduce historical topics. For instance with Thanksgiving there are lots of fun crafts and sites that start to introduce the history of Thanksgiving to children. As the child ages you will get into more detailed information. Your librarian can be a great resource for finding age appropriate picture books to share with your child about historical topics. Exploring areas your child is interested in at this age is a great way to go. There is no need for a formal plan.

If your child likes music School House Rock is a fun way to introduce kids to history that you will later teach. The DVD's cover all curriculum areas. There are also music options that teach states and capitals.

As kids get older there are great resources available online, through local libraries, musuems, and historical societies that can supplement any curriculum you might choose to use with your child. As a "general" guideline there are lots of curriculums online to give you some general ideas of what you want to teach/when. I would suggest thinking about following interests where possible to build a solid curriculum.

I am leaving the link for free social studies links I have on my blog.

Sorting Through Life's Lessons: Social Studies Sites (http://sortingthroughlifeslessons.blogspot.com/2009/06/social-studies-sites.html)

If you need early childhood resources there are free links here too:

Sorting Through Life's Lessons: Early Childhood Links (http://sortingthroughlifeslessons.blogspot.com/2009/07/early-childhood-links.html)

malcido
09-15-2009, 10:37 AM
We use Story of the World with activity guide---my youngest son is 2nd grade age this year and we are adding in the test booklet.

zg04
09-16-2009, 11:35 PM
There is so much you can do. I know people who use the curr. that you mentioned with their elementary aged kids. There is the other curr. someone else mentioned. Drive Thru History is great. Living books are a great source, think Little House and go from there. We prefer living books and the Charlotte Mason Method.

Another thing, there is a book called Everything my (insert grade here) Should Know. Lots of people recommend that.

Remember, with homeschool you can do it however you would like.

turn-n-burn
09-17-2009, 08:57 AM
How do you know what the child is suppose to be learning in each grade? I know there is no set schedule, but there has to be guidelines somewhere. Help...I think I'm kinda freaking about this. I'm really thinking about just doing Switched-on Schoolhouse. Just seems easier......everything is laid out for me but on the other hand it isn't flexible for the child. There is so much out there, it's overwhelming. My sister does Sonlight with her 3 kids, and she kind pushes that on me, but there is so much reading, I have a mild/moderate stutter, and my husband hates to read out loud, Sonlight there is so much reading! I really want to homeschool my little girl and future kids :-)

Bailey4
09-17-2009, 10:51 AM
There are a variety of options. You can look at a curriculum to set the standards for the year. You can use your state's curriculum as "suggested" ideas of where you want your child to be in terms of what skills they should have in math, reading, etc. There are tons of homescholing books that provide resources that outline curriculum expectations.

My suggestion is to start at your public library and take out some books and just start reading different theories and ideas about how to approach homeschooling. You don't have to buy one program, you can pick and choose what works for you. Since your child is young, now is the time to read because right now you really don't need a structured program. Much of the preschool program can be handled with free and inexpensive resources. Take this time to read about your options and decide what is best for your child.

I'd also look for a homeschooling group in the area. You may find talking with other parents who have already walked down this path can help you make some choices about how to go forward.

savemoney10
09-17-2009, 04:53 PM
I like Homeschool, After School, Summer Study - Time4Learning - Home (http://www.time4learning.com) for my kiddos, K and 3rd grade. It starts from Pre-School and goes up to 8th grade and includes, Phonics, Math, Science and Social Studies. I use it for our Computer Lessons and incorporate Workbooks and Worksheets along with many Trips to the Library for Reading. :)

I have been Homeschooling for almost 3 Years and both of my children read 2 years ahead of their Levels. It is quite inexpensive and keeps them very interested in their own levels. I also use Learn to Read at Starfall - teaching comprehension and phonics (http://www.starfall.com) and SpellingCity.com Home Page (http://www.spellingcity.com). I also use the Series "What Every (insert grade here) Should Know" as a Full Reference to make sure for all lessons they are learning what is age appropriate for their Grade Level/Age.

Hope this Helps!
Have a Wonderful Weekend!

savemoney10

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1