WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Inlaws

bloggergirl
09-04-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm getting ready to do homeschooling with my 9 year old daughter and am frustrated behind belief. My inlaws are so sure that it's the wrong choice and that she's not going to learn anything from me. Every time I turn around they are complaining about it.

The whole reason that I'm pulling her out of school is the fact that her teacher right now just doesn't get her. They think that the whole situation can be solved by sueing the school. I'm thinking, ok? I told them flat out that she was me and their son's daughter and we will do what we feel is right for her. I don't care what they think.

I feel better now. Thanks for listening to my giant rant.

Bailey4
09-04-2009, 02:10 PM
There is nothing that removes dissent as much as success.

They've made their case, you have made yours and the time has come to move forward with your choice.

I don't know if these are active grandparents but they may come to appreciate the freedom of homeschooling. I know my Mom has become an "adopted" grandma to some local homeschooling children where she lives and she loves it. The kids are around on flexible schedules, you don't have to accomadate the school schedule. I know that for some of the reluctant grandparents I've dealth with that has been a plus. An outing can become a science lesson when they go to the zoo and explore the local animals. Mom can build on that later with other activities, etc. That wasn't an option when the child was in public school. I am just throwing out one idea, but you get the point. Many are afraid of what they don't understand. However, if you you can engage people in the activity you'll be suprised how attitudes can change. I NEVER would have seen my Mom as the HUGE supporter of homeschoolers she's become. I think she regrets she never had the chance to try it herself.

Focus on the positives. You are giving your daughter a great gift of time to develop at her own pace, in her own time, and in a supportive environment. Hopefully your respective families will get on board. If not you will find other homeschooling families and community members who will want to be a part of this journey.

andr117
09-11-2009, 02:59 AM
I think it is hard to find any situation that will have only pluses so I guess it is up to you what to do with the education of your daughter. I am sure that nobody can know her better than you. Think it over and make your mind especially if you do not care about the opinion of your inlaws

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1