WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

chrlstoncharmed
09-03-2009, 10:51 AM
My husband recently deployed. He was pretty sick when he left the air field; fever, congestion, headache, etc (turned out he had strep and pneumonia!) - so when they had their layover at Liepzig Germany, he called home to check in with me because he knew I was worried about his condition.

The next day, I happened to check my bank account online and I noticed a charge from a company called BBG Communications for the amount of $80.00. I had no idea who this company was, so I started doing some research and found that they are a long distance company who are in the business of ripping people off with their outrageous fees!

We had been charged $80 for a 2 minute phone call!

My husband says these phones are located in a secure zone terminal, meant only for soliders/military traveling to or from Iraq & Afghanistan. There is NO option to use a calling card with these phones; it is credit/debit card only ... and there are NO rates or fees listed.

I was outraged when I realized that our service members are being taken advantage of in this manner. Especially in an airport terminal - you can imagine how much money this company is robbing from our service members, who are going to or from a combat zone! It isn't right.

So, beware - if you have a loved one stopping over in Liepzig Germany, let them know ... DO NOT use the phones in the terminal. You'll be ripped off!

Patty Gale
09-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Oh wow! That is horrible! I've never heard of them before.

My sons called me from their cell phones in Maine before heading over the ocean and had their layovers in Liepzig, too. We did some quick Skype / Facebook chat when they were on layover, but no phone calls.

I did a quick Google search and it appears they have a US division.

BBG Communications (http://www.bbgusa.com/)

I also found some complaint forums and a post on RipOffReport.com

Apparently, they're ripping off hotel guests, too, as well as our military. I saw one complaint in which the guy was charged $300 for a couple of few minutes calls.

This is outrageous.

Here's a link to a lot of complaints about this company.. 28 pages worth.

BBG Communications @ Pissed Consumer (http://bbg-communications.pissedconsumer.com/)

chrlstoncharmed
09-04-2009, 04:35 PM
28 pages of complaints! I suppose I'm not really surprised, though. I posted this same message on Our Army Life (CafeMom) and two groups on Facebook: the US Army page and a Military Spouses group. The responses I got were mostly, "Hey! That happened to us, too!" - in Liepzig and/or in Ireland.

Ideally, I want to have BBG removed as long distance carrier in all secure terminals. Our soldiers should not have to succumb to this scam simply for placing a phone call home.

There isn't much I can do, as one little ol' person, but an awareness campaign is a start. I emailed our C-Co. FRG leader as well as the battalion FRG leader so that they can start spreading the word about BBG Communications.

If anyone else has any other ideas, feel free to let me know!

Mrs1stSgt
09-06-2009, 02:19 PM
I will let a friend of mine know, her DH is going to be the aid to the naval general in Belgium I believe he may over see all of europe, not sure on that. I will facebook her maybe he can mention the complaint.
Lisa

nicksmom06
09-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Wow! That is awful! I will definitely let my son know and tell him to let all of his military friends know as well. Thanks for the warning and sorry that happened to you.

Lisa

Patty Gale
09-08-2009, 05:08 AM
I'm going to blog about this, too, which will also be fed directly to Facebook.