WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Stock question

pookeybearsmom
02-24-2006, 11:21 AM
How much stock do you typically keep? I mean approx how many jars, votives, ect.? I am having a good problem now that the business has picked up. I can't keep enough stock! I was thinking of getting orders and letting everyone know I place an order once a week and then pick one day a week when I place an order and deliver candles. What do you think? How do you gals handle the "legistics" of it all?

SandyMilton
02-24-2006, 11:31 AM
smileys/smiley17.gifThat's pretty much how I plan it - I placeany orders I may haveon "Payday" and sometimescustomers just choose from what I already have on hand so no order is needed. I do my best to try to have a case available, but by order time that's sometimes dwindled down to 4-5jars left. For votives, if I'm running out, I will order some more when I place my case order, but don't generally keep a large "stock" of them since I use most for marketing purposes. I also tend to run out of "stock" quickly, but it doesn't seem to bother my customers, they just tell me to order what they want smileys/smiley36.gif

Now, as I enter the flea market area, we shall see how this will work. I may have to work up to accumulating more stock, but I am SO looking forward to this - if nothing else but to get the product "out there" to the masses. My best customer said she will probably see me there since she goes to the flea market often smileys/smiley36.gif. I've got my weekend booked starting tomorrow morning - although it appears it will be overcast with afternoon rains (the flea market is under a pavilion), but Sunday looks to be nice smileys/smiley17.gif

*Bama*
02-24-2006, 11:43 AM
Can't wait to hear how it goes Sandy!! Goodluck sweetie!

As far as stock, I also tell customers that I will place an order once a week or once every two weeks and that way I have time to gather those "6" or more orders to pay for the case.

Best wishes!

soycandles4tam
02-24-2006, 12:12 PM
Really you just have to find a way that works best for you. Personally when I decided to join this business I jumped in with both feet and bought a lot of inventory. This has ended up working best for me. If you are going to do craft shows, home parties, etc. I really think you will do better to stock up on inventory. You will get it back in leaps and bounds. I can't imagine trying to do this business with one or two cases of candles on hand but if that's what works best for you then that is great. I have had people walk away from my craft booths because I didn't have a certain scent they wanted and say "I'll catch ya next time" and never see them again, whereas if I have what their wanting most of the time, I can get their info and they return over and over again. I of course realize we can't always have what they want but if you can a lot of the time your customers will be much happier. After you are in this for a while I would strongly suggest getting as much inventory as you can. As the saying goes, "you can't sell what you don't have." I run into a lot of impulse shoppers and if you have it they will buy it. Just thought I would share some of these points with you. I know when you're new you have to build up your inventory and believe me I understand that, I'm just saying when money permits, I would definately stock up. Good luck to you.
Tammy

christina4733
02-24-2006, 02:07 PM
Hi, I actually have a nice bookshelf with all of my jar candles on it. I have a nice basket of the body wash stuff. The next shelf I use for holding all my votives. I like to buy alot of votives so I have alot on hand. I mostly use those for marketing. I crush alot up and have that used for scent-samples and then I put all the different votives in 3x3 bags and make up labels and put them on it, make a basket and use that on my desk or where I go so if they would like to test the different scents on hand I have enough available for them to smell. smileys/smiley17.gifI bought a little container case from michaels that has about 20 drawers and I labeled each one and crushed all different votives and use that where I store my crushed scents. Its cute. smileys/smiley36.gifI always send out emails to my customers letting them know that I'm placing a new order and what they would like. Or I just buy a case of the scents that I most sell and people will stop by and pick them up here and there.

soycandles4tam
02-24-2006, 02:31 PM
Christina,
I too have been looking for something to store my crushed up scent packets in. The 20 drawer thing you mentioned sounds perfect, I will have to look for one of those. Its hard to think of something that will keep the scents from mixing. They do mix when their just in the plastic bags I have found. I for sure will look for the drawer thing.Thanks for sharing that info. It sounds like we keep our inventory similar to each other. I have that type of set up in my office here at my house for people to come here and shop and it works great. Thanks for sharing all your info with all of us, it helps us all.
Tammy

earthlydream
02-24-2006, 02:37 PM
How many different scents do most of you have in inventory at all times? Do your clients always buy same scents or are they looking for new ones? smileys/smiley1.gif

christina4733
02-24-2006, 03:30 PM
Hi Tammy,

here is a picture of the drawer that I use. smileys/smiley1.gifits simple and easy.http://photobucket.com/albums/c44/christina4733/th_Doratheexplorer.jpg (http://photobucket.com/albums/c44/christina4733/?action=view&current=Doratheexplorer.jpg)

soycandles4tam
02-24-2006, 03:36 PM
thanks Christina for the picture. That will be perfect!
Tammy

soycandles4tam
02-24-2006, 03:43 PM
Earthlydream,
I myself try and keep one of every scent we carry as I have a shop in my home. I have people that come by here all the time to shop so this is what works for me. I know not everyone wants to do that, but again that is what has worked out best for me. It is difficult to say what people will buy because as soon as you are out of a scent you can bet that is the one someone will want. Never fails. lol.......This is always going to happen. I just try and keep several of my best sellars and order it if I don't have it. I hope this helps. If people get addicted to these candles like most of us are they will usually wait, but you will always run across some that don't want to wait and that is when it is nice if we can trade with others. Like I mentioned earlier I do shows and that is where I run in to a lot of impulse shoppers that want a certain scent right then and there. If you have the product they will buy it.
Tammy

pookeybearsmom
02-24-2006, 05:51 PM
thank you for the answers everyone. So, Tammy you have some of every candle we sell? I was thinking about wanting a "shop" in my house. How do you go about that? Do you just have an office (which I have and then people just stop by and get what they want? Also, how did you go about getting all that inventory? Also, did your husband get upset over all the money invested and not seeing the product "move" as quickly. My dh wants me to just sell the candles I have on hand and not get more till I sell a few out of the case I buy. how do you keep up with all the stock. Do you order once a week? month? when you can buy more than 6 cases for the shipping?

Do you have to end up delivering alot of candles yourself or do most people come to you since you have the shop?

This was honestly an option I was looking into.

pookeybearsmom
02-24-2006, 05:56 PM
Oh! I forgot to ask Tammy, how big is the town you live in? Also, how many people would you say stop by and shop on a typical day or week?

soycandles4tam
02-24-2006, 07:01 PM
I will PM you with the answers to your questions, so I'm not bothering everyone on here. lol......
Tammy

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1