WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

midwestmama
06-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Can you sell scentsy and another product(jewelry or purses) at the same party?

JenEricRal
06-03-2009, 01:29 PM
No- You can be a consultant for both, but you are not supposed to sell them at the same party. :)

JenEricRal
06-03-2009, 01:39 PM
More info:

11.5 – Conflicts of Interest
11.5.1 – Participation in other Direct Selling Ventures
You may not participate in other Direct Selling ventures (including party plan, network marketing and
multilevel marketing) whose primary product line/offering compete with Scentsy, including but not limited
to candles, scented wax, home fragrance or ceramic warmers. If you have questions about a specific
company and whether or not there is a conflict, please contact [email protected] . Continued

participation in other ventures may result in disciplinary action according to Section 12.1.

11.5.3 – Nonsolicitation
Subject to compliance with Section 11.5.1 above, you may participate in other direct selling ventures
(including party plan, network marketing and multilevel marketing); however, if you elect to participate in
another such business, you are prohibited from Unauthorized Recruiting as described below:
a) While you are a Scentsy Consultant, and for a period of six months following the cancellation of
your Consultant Agreement, you may not attempt to recruit or enroll Scentsy customers or
Consultants for other direct selling business ventures directly or through a third party. This includes
presenting or assisting in the presentation of other business opportunities, or implicitly or explicitly
encouraging any Scentsy customer or Consultant to join other business ventures;
b) You may not offer literature, tapes or promotional materials for another direct selling business to
Scentsy customers or Consultants, nor may you allow any third person to recruit Scentsy customers
or Consultants for another business venture;
c) You may not sell or promote any competing non-Scentsy products to Scentsy customers or
Consultants. This would include any product in the same general category as Scentsy products,
including any warmers, scented candle products, room spray or air fresheners;

d) You may not offer Scentsy products or promote the Scentsy Compensation Plan

midwestmama
06-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Another Scentsy rep said you could if it was not at all related - purses or something?

JenEricRal
06-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Maybe someone else could chime in on this. From my understanding, it is not allowed. Maybe I have been told incorrect info :)

midwestmama
06-03-2009, 02:44 PM
Thanks Jen. I just want to make sure I join the right company (ies) because I need to make this a business.

lani7
06-03-2009, 02:56 PM
according to [email protected], you can sell other products now. I emailed them to get clarification for nonsolicitation, I believe this has changed. There is another thread here where Laura Ayers, I believe addressed this and also confirmed that it has changed.

lani7
06-03-2009, 03:17 PM
I could be wrong, it could be that it was just about that one can sell other products, it doesn't make sense though the non solicitation part, that means you would have to keep your customers separate. It was my question before and I can't find the thread. I will let you know what compliance says.

SandyMilton
06-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Maybe someone else could chime in on this. From my understanding, it is not allowed. Maybe I have been told incorrect info :)

You understand it the same as I do - as policy stands today (and you quoted it above, but I will highlight the key part) - this is where it tells us you cannot show Scentsy products with non-Scentsy products. That is in reality what one is doing if they are doing a single show for two businesses. This is the policy that is online right now - as I copied and pasted straight from the back office.

11.5.3 – Nonsolicitation
Subject to compliance with Section 11.5.1 above, you may</font> participate in other direct selling ventures
(including party plan, network marketing and multilevel marketing); however,</font> if you elect to participate in
another such business, you are prohibited from Unauthorized Recruiting as described below:</font>
a) While you are a Scentsy Consultant, and for a period of six months following the cancellation of
your Consultant Agreement, you may not attempt to recruit or enroll Scentsy customers or
Consultants for other direct selling business ventures directly or through a third party. This includes
presenting or assisting in the presentation of other business opportunities, or implicitly or explicitly
encouraging any Scentsy customer or Consultant to join other business ventures;
b) You may not offer literature, tapes or promotional materials for another direct selling business to
Scentsy customers or Consultants, nor may you allow any third person to recruit Scentsy customers
or Consultants for another business venture;
c) You may not sell or promote any competing non-Scentsy products to Scentsy customers or
Consultants. This would include any product in the same general category as Scentsy products,
including any warmers, scented candle products, room spray or air fresheners;
d) You may not offer Scentsy products or promote the Scentsy Compensation Plan in conjunction with
any non-Scentsy products, services, business plan, opportunity, or incentive.</font>

** edited to add - it's possible that my interpretation is not how they meant the policy to be read, as the wording is a bit off - the unauthorized recruiting/relating to offering products part is what I mean. The best people to ask that would be the compliance department for the definitive answer.

Edited by: SandyMilton

kainsley\
06-03-2009, 07:40 PM
You can be a consultant for both companies, but you can't represent them both at the same party.

JenEricRal
06-03-2009, 07:42 PM

d) You may not offer Scentsy products or promote the Scentsy Compensation Plan in conjunction with
any non-Scentsy products, services, business plan, opportunity, or incentive.

** edited to add - it's possible that my interpretation is not how they meant the policy to be read, as the wording is a bit off - the unauthorized recruiting/relating to offering products part is what I mean. The best people to ask that would be the compliance department for the definitive answer.

Thanks for quoting that. I guess it didn't copy and paste the who thing. (Probably because of the large font!) LOL

taxi22
06-03-2009, 08:07 PM
I could very possibly be wrong (I'm still fairly new!), but in doing more reading of the policies the other night I am pretty sure I saw it stated that once you reach a certain level (Director...I think!?http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley9.gif) you can NOT promote another direct sales business of any kind. You must focus on Scentsy alone. Makes TOTAL sense!

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif

lani7
06-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Now that I know specifically that they removed that restriction. Laura Ayers confirmed that, I also asked compliance and that no longer applies. The only thing I'm not too sure about is the nonsolicitation but I talked to someone at Scentsy, she checked and said that no longer applied either but to check with compliance, they haven't responded back.

LAscents
06-04-2009, 06:27 AM
Are we clear as mud now? smileys/smiley36.gif

It looks like y'all have a good handle on it. Yes you may do two separate, non-competing businesses but not together.

lani7
06-04-2009, 07:03 AM
Sorry, not quite. hehehe. I haven't received any email back from compliance. When you say separate, does this mean for eg. I'm not with Mary Kay but let's just say I am. I sell 20 Scentsy warmers to my Mary Kay customers so now they also become my Scentsy customer, does that mean that now I cannot solicit them to buy Mary kay again, it doesn't make sense to me.

LorettaA
06-04-2009, 07:40 AM
I'm just giving my opinion but I don't think customers would be the issue. I think that keeping things separate is in place so that the product lines are not confused. If you are putting out Scentsy and jewelry at the same party they don't want customers having the impression that the jewelry is part of the Scentsy line. For example you can represent two different companies at a vendor event but you must have two separate booths...one for your Scentsy and one for your other company. This helps to avoid confusion.

The other issue is sponsoring/recruiting. If you are a Mary Kay rep. and a Scentsy consultant you will likely have the same customers. The issue would be if you try to get your fellow Mary Kay reps to join Scentsy or try to get your Scentsy team members to join Mary Kay. That may be considered unethical.

Edited by: LorettaA

LAscents
06-04-2009, 11:56 AM
Well stated, Loretta.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1