WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : NEED HELP!

JanieD
02-13-2006, 10:59 AM
Hi,

Hopefully someone will have some experience with this or at least have enough knowledge to help me out. I tried posting on other forums but not much advice being given.

I make candles but mostly wax and soy tarts for tart warmers. I had Ebay store but I shut it down because I admit, I became too impatient and got tired of paying the $15.95 each month and not making any profit. Stupid I know, but I had some personal stuff going on too, so it just became too much for me.

Anyway.... I REALLY want to get back into selling on Ebay again and I do have several customers I can notify and let them know I am back in business which will be good. :)

My question is, for me being a small time seller, would it be better to just go with Ebay's regular seller account and fees? Or in the long run would it be better to just open up another store?? I am a bit confused as although the 15.95 will eat into any profits I make in the beginning, would it better to have the Ebay store??

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know building my kind of business is saturated and will take alot of time with a good product, but I just want advice on how I should approach this again.

TIA!

Kenna
02-13-2006, 02:58 PM
I wish I could help but I only sell occasionally on ebay. In fact I am getting ready to list a bunch of things over the next few days. I sent an email to our fellow WAHM "joyceb" to come help answer some of thesequestions. She's our ebay expert!

joyceb
02-13-2006, 04:21 PM
Thanks Kenna...

Janie:

I am not sure what you mean by "regular seller account and fees". But I
am assuming you mean auction format as opposed to a store format.

eBay stores and auctions should be used as cross marketing tools.
In other words, if you have an eBay store you should also offer
auctions, perhaps with Buy It Now options. This will give you more
exposure and drive traffic to your store.

Most people access product through the auctions site, but once they get
to your auctions they will often click through on your stores for
additional merchandise. You want to encourage people to add you
as a Favorite Seller too.

Takes time to develop a business, but eBay can make it easier, you must put up enough merchandise to make it pay.

You also want to have a "Me" page so people can learn about you personally.

You might access the eBay Community Message boards (http://hub.ebay.com/community) where you can get more insight and answers.

And also the free online workshops (http://pages.ebay.com/community/workshopcalendar/current.html) for more information..Check out the archives there too.

Best of luck

Joyceb

JanieD
02-14-2006, 07:48 AM
Hi Joyce,

I guess my question is, I am a small time seller. Is the store worth it? I suppose I can move other things besides candles, but rather things around my home I do not need, etc in order to ensure I've paid out the 15.95 per month that would not come out of my candle profit.

I like the idea of a store because it would set myself apart from others who do not, but just not sure if it's worth it. I am still thinking about it.

Any other advice would be super.

joyceb
02-14-2006, 09:06 AM
You are the only one that can determine whether a store is worth it.

If you are planning on using eBay as a business, stores are the option
for setting up and expanding an existing business. In addition they
allow you to offer auction customers more options. If a customer is
satisfied with a purchase, they may bookmark your store and return over
and over again.

Building a business takes time and patience.

Perhaps what you need to do is determine what you want from your eBay
business and whether you feel like putting the time into developing
it. Then set some goals--so many auctions a week, new products
each month in your stores, etc.

Joyceb

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1