WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Help! I am new!!

pookeybearsmom
02-09-2006, 07:51 AM
Hi,

I am new to Mia Bella and I am new to this forum. I have been with Mia Bella for pprox. 2 months. I have been lurking on your forum for awhile also. This forum is one of the reasons I choose Mia Bella. I am new and I don't really know where to start. I have 5 shops that are selling my candles on consignment but it isn't going too well. Plus, my husband wants to know where the $900 worth of candles that I have ordered are (they are in the stores). He knows where they are but wants to see ruturn on the investment. I do too! I really have done better with the smell and sell method. I am thinking of pulling out of the stores (even though I have only been there a few weeks) and just having a big open house.(trying to get back all the money which I know I can make a great profit with a method like this cause I used to do homw parties for another company) I am thinking of trying another focus into fundraisers. Then you don't have to put so much out at the beggining. I also think I have anew recruit and I don't really know how to help her. I have been listening to a few training calls following messgae boards but I want to really get this business off the ground.

With smell and sell I sold $200 worth of candles in two days. But I want to be to the point of making$50,000 a year within the next few years because I want to quit my "real job" or at least only work a couple days a month.

I only work part time now. But I really don't want to work for anyone but myself anymore.

Can someone help me with a day by day plan...Fundraisers and recruiting the way I should go? I have also thought of having a recruiting fair. Has this worked for anyone before? I need lots of help!!

UNcommonScents
02-09-2006, 08:03 AM
Hi there, and congratulations on your new business!

Based on your message, it looks like you are focusing on the retail aspect
of this business, which is a great way to start genrationg income right
away. Sounds like you are doing well with the smell & sell technique, and
that you've been very proactive- you've even got your products in retail
outlets!

A couple of suggestions I have-

--Have you thought about approaching businesses and proposing that
they retail your products either through the COTM program or the
associate program? This way you do not have to purchase product up
front and wait for a return on your investment. I suggest supplying them
with a *small* stock of inventory to test market your products, and then
encourage them to either order directly through SS as an associate or a
COTM member.

--Have you thought about booking some home parties? Even if you do
not want to do them as a regular part of your home business, they are a
great way to earn significant income quickly.

--If you haven't done so yet, be sure to get in on the Saturday New
Distributors training call- this is a fabulous step-by-step overview of how
to maximize your earning potential for this business, and provides
suggestions on how to budget, cost-effective advertising, etc.

And keep asking questions here, too! Remember, growing a successful,
home-based business is a marathon, not a sprint. Sounds like you are off
to a great start, and if you continue with these methods and set weekly
goals & make daily actions, you will surely build a strong, flourishing
business.

Best of luck, and in all you do, CHOOSE Success!
--Kitt

pookeybearsmom
02-09-2006, 08:10 AM
Wow! Thank you for the quick reply and for the encouragement. I guess I just need to know "where to go" with the business you know? I am just not sure what I should focus on and do "day to day" to keep things going and to make sure I still have some time for family life which is why I joined in the first place.

I have the strongest motivator of all. Its called a 10 month old little angel girl that looks up to me, believes in me and who's whole world revolves around me and spending time with her and being my own boss are my dreams and I know they can come true with this company. I just need to know how to go about it ya know?

I will listen this sat to the new distributor call for sure! thanks for the info!smileys/smiley1.gif

*Bama*
02-09-2006, 08:19 AM
Have you sat down and wrote out your goals for the business and daily or weekly plans?

Setting up a daily plan, making calls to schools, churches etc to set up meetings for fundraising. Set up time to get packets ready if they say to send them in and you will also need them in hand when you go to talk with the schools etc. Take samples to show the quality of the product and give them a votive as well.

If you are going to focus on retail defintely look into home parties and or online parties. You know how great these candles are, and you have customers who already buy them from you because they are great. Ask if they would like to earn free candles. Have them host your first parties and remember the smell and sell. Just get up and introduce yourself, tell a bit about why you joined Mia Bella and about the products. Then pass them around and see if they have any questions. You don't have to do any games but it does make it more fun and lightens the mood a bit.

Have you thought about going to any craft shows or events in your area with your inventory?

I would give your consignment stores a bit longer as the candles are new to them.How many candles do you have in each store? If its a lot I would take some out and keep some for inventory or to do shows etc with.

Goodluck and congratulations on joining Mia Bella!:) Speak with your sponsor as well, they should be able to give you some great information!

christina4733
02-09-2006, 09:42 AM
Hi and welcome aboard.

I agree with Frances, set up your goals and your plan. I've attached something that should help you keep track of your day to day activities. Copy and paste it into a word document and track what you do everyday.

Were you able to get some postcards ? doorhangers ? brochures ? if so you should start making scent samples and giving them to everyone you know. You can also attach the scent samples to the door hangers and walk around your neighborhood and put them up.

You can also get some dollar baskets and the dollar store or any craft store and make up a small basket of scent sample with brochures or postcards. I get the 3x5 bags and put the whole votive in it and label them, make the basket look cute and bring them to hair salons or tanning salons or corner stores. Ask them if they would be willing to display your basket for your business. People are always looking for free info.

Set up a home party and invite everyone you know, even your neighbors and introduce them to your new business and what you have to offer. You will sell the candles that you have now.

I would say that is the retail part of it. You need to stay focused and try to do everything to make it work. If you would like to send out packets to dance studios, martial arts, schools. Start getting your packets together. Go to the back office they have alot of info to start you off. You should print everything out and make a binder and get organized.
<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Weekly Planner<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />[/B]
<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">[/B]
<H3 style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: left" align=left>Week of:</H3>
This week's Plan/Goals
No. of Customers _____ No. of Business Contacts _____No. of Parties_____
No. of Fundraiser _____ No. of Retail Stores _____
Other __________________________________________________ ______

<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Monday[/B] __________________________________________________ __________ __________________________________________________ __________ __________________________________________________ __________ __________________________________________________ __________ ________________________________________

<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Tuesday[/B] __________________________________________________ __________ __________________________________________________ __________ __________________________________________________ __________ __________________________________________________ __________ ________________________________________

<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Wednesday[/B] __________________________________________________ __________ __________________________________________________ __________ __________________________________________________ __________ __________________________________________________ __________ ________________________________________ ____________________________

<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Thursday[/B] __________________________________________________ __________ __________________________________________________ __________ __________________________________________________ __________ __________________________________________________ __________ ________________________________________

<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Friday[/B] __________________________________________________ __________ __________________________________________________ __________ __________________________________________________ __________ __________________________________________________ __________ ________________________________________

<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Saturday[/B]
__________________________________________________ __________ __________________________________________________ __________ __________________________________________________ __________ __________________________________________________ __________ ________________________________________

<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Sunday [/B]
__________________________________________________ __________ __________________________________________________ __________ __________________________________________________ __________ __________________________________________________ __________ ________________________________________

pookeybearsmom
02-09-2006, 10:05 AM
Thank you for the replies. I have made some goals but I guess what I am asking is what area do you think I should focus in? I am not sure if I want to really retail a whole lot anyway. I am looking for the best way to make the most money for the least time invested and at the same time keep growing. Now I know this takes alot fo work and I am really into hard work. My "real job" is a nurse so I am a hard worker. do you who are very successful in this business do retail, fundraising, home parties, recruiting, or a combination and if you do a combination how do you keep it all straight?

I have never met my sponser. I don't even know who it is. I just signed up from the web. the company said they would e-mail her but she never contacted me. I know I made a mistake there. But maybe some of you wonderful people are willing to help anyway? I'm sorry I have so many questions and just no real answers.

pookeybearsmom
02-09-2006, 10:07 AM
I guess what I mean is. I am willing to chase my goals. I am willing to set goals. I am willing to work daily to make this business work but I am not sure what focus I should take and therefore I am not sure what goals to set. does that make sense?

*Bama*
02-09-2006, 10:12 AM
In my opinion you should focus on retail sales and fundraising. Thats where the most and immediate income is going to come in. If you can do home parties, do them, you will get paid that night of the party and not have to wait on a commission check. Same thing with fundraisers, they schools or organizations work it for about 2 weeks submit a check to you minus their profit and you get paid then.

You are going to have to invest time to make this work.The candles will not sell sitting on a shelf without some kind of advertising etc. Make up some flyers and put up at your local grocery stores, churches, libraries and anywhere else you can. Make up scent samples and attach to biz cards or brochures and hand them out EVERYWHERE you go. Ask the cashier do you burn scented candles, they say yes give them the sample with card/brochure. Tell them they can visit your site and enter to win a FREE Candle.

Make flyers for home parties with tear offs with your contact info..if you would like a copy of what I use pm me with your email addy. Look for local groups in your area that maybe a work at home moms group or a meetup group and start networking. I just joined another group today that is a goodie swap box and everyone puts in something from their biz etc. Cost 2.00 to join. Cheap.

Do you have local paper that you can advertise in a biz card size ad? There's tons of craft shows etc that you can look into. I am working on all aspects of my business not just 1. Its hard work sometimes, but I am in it to stay home with my kids.

Sorry about your sponsor situation...I would contact corporate and ask them who their upline is so you can contact them. We are willing to help in anyway. Goodluck!!!

pookeybearsmom
02-09-2006, 10:20 AM
Thank you so much!! that is great help! I think my first goal is to clean out my office which is full of junk. then I can sell all of that crap on e-bay (rummage sale type stuff) and get organized. I am also going to start planning an open house for approx two-three weeks away.

I will also call the company and try to get in contact with someone higher up.

*Bama*
02-09-2006, 10:26 AM
Congrats on taking control!!! :) Put flyers everywhere you can for the open house! Let us know if you have any other questions! :)

Best wishes!

BarbB
02-09-2006, 10:36 AM
Hi:

You've gotten great advice here. Just in case you want to contact your sponsor, if you go into you back office and scroll down to the bottom they have your sponsor's contact information.

Best of luck.

Barb

www.CandleSuccessInfo.com (http://www.CandleSuccessInfo.com)

pookeybearsmom
02-09-2006, 10:53 AM
ok another question, anyone have the toll free voicemail they talk about in the roadmap to sucess? If so how much is it? how does it work? do you just do that or do you use your cell phones or a second phone line for your business? I am thinking of getting a second phone line in my house because I live in this crazy little town that doesn't get a cell phone signal. we live in some kind of black hole I guesssmileys/smiley36.gif

*Bama*
02-09-2006, 10:56 AM
I currently do not have a voice mail number but I want to get one. I use my home phone and cell phone number for contact info. So far no problems. If you can go for it...I am sure the ladies here have some info for you regarding the phone number! :)

pookeybearsmom
02-09-2006, 11:05 AM
bama thank you so much for all your help! you have made my day! My goal is also being at home with my little one. So we ahve alot in common on that front. I am now very convinced I can make this business happen thanks to you!

One more thing....can you give me a typical day for you, since you seem to be kind of going the route I am. I am just looking at time management sort of things ya know?

SandyMilton
02-09-2006, 05:24 PM
What kind of stores do you have your candles in? Have you considered changing out a couple stores for something more along the lines of hair/nail/tanning salons? I recall reading something written by a top distributor where they don't do "consignment" anymore for the very reasons you stated. The product doesn't move because there really isn't much in it for the shop owner to actually motivate them to sell them.

I bet you would do incredible if you took your inventory and went to a craft show though! Even a church bazaar or something of the sort!

*Bama*
02-09-2006, 07:04 PM
bama thank you so much for all your help! you have made my day! My goal is also being at home with my little one. So we ahve alot in common on that front. I am now very convinced I can make this business happen thanks to you!

One more thing....can you give me a typical day for you, since you seem to be kind of going the route I am. I am just looking at time management sort of things ya know?

You are very welcome! We all try to help out and I do know where you are coming from. I have a 5 yr old and a `11 month old and sure is tough sometimes to make time for the biz when you have a little one running around lol. I will be pm'ing you to give you some insight on my days lol :)

Talk to you soon!

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1