WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : bagging groceries at the comm.

Mrs1stSgt
01-30-2009, 09:29 AM
So I have been doing that know for about 3 weeks, I go in when DH gets off of work usually around 4:00 and work until 6:30 -7:00 making around $25-$30.00 a day average has been $10 an hour in tipsnot real hard work and you get some exercise in, plus it is tax free you work for tips or a donation, and you get to see what is on sale at the comm. I got a 4lb pre sliced morrel ham the other day for $2.61 and a liter of premium extra virgin bortelli olive oil for $4.99 (I bought 4 of them). I have only got the why is a Sgt Majors wife working at the comm. 1x from a man who asked why are you stationed at Fort Bliss, I said DH is going to Sgt. Majors school and he said why is a Sgt. majors wife working at the Comm and I said he has not been promoted yet AND pride will keep you broke.

zg04
01-30-2009, 07:58 PM
So what would you consider a decent tip?

I usually put in a dollar and whatever lose change we get back to the express bagger. At our last base I would tip $2-3 and during the holidays a little more, to the bagger who would carry out for us. Now we are in Alaska, and since the cost of living is a bit higher, I tip $4-5, and a little more during the holidays.

I hear so many of the new generation military wives complaining about tipping baggers, and how they are an inconvenience and could do without them! I guess since I am a brat and grew up around it, I don't have a problem. Honestly, it's a service I very much appreciate! I like going to parking lot and not having every space consummed with grocery carts!

My husband was a bagger at our local grocery store, and I didn't understand why they didn't/couldn't get tips!

Mrs1stSgt
01-31-2009, 08:39 AM
Depending how much you get a good tip for 2 carts is $3-$5 1 cart $2-$3. Here they even unload your groceries onto the conveyer belt. yeah well when the comm. does away with baggers the new gen. wife will complain about that, to be honest with you most of them have no idea the price our fathers and mothers paid for them. They honestly have everything very, very good and still they complain, piss, moan and groan. But that is a whole other discussion isn't .

Halahblue
04-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Tips are not tax free FYI. You still have to claim them as income.