WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : PCS'ing to Fort Hood

chrlstoncharmed
01-06-2009, 09:58 AM
I don't want to go! I really like it here in GA. To make things even worse, my soldier is looking at a one year deployment with a special task force.

I think I just need a hug. smileys/smiley19.gif

Mrs1stSgt
01-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Moves are hard, Fort Hood I have not been there (El Paso is far enough) but I have pros and cons of it. Could you stay in GA until he gets back from deployment. How much longer do you have until he retires? Not soon enough huh. If you need anything PM me.
Lisa

chrlstoncharmed
01-06-2009, 09:59 PM
He can retire in 2014. He's already got 20 years in, what's a few more, right?smileys/smiley2.gif He's going to try to get us back at Benning when he returns from the sandbox. If they give him choices, Benning would be my first, then Fort Jackson SC.

kh225
01-06-2009, 11:47 PM
I know it sucks where here in Savannah GA and I love it and we have to move to Hawaii which probably is nice but Im just not up for another move right now.

chrlstoncharmed
01-07-2009, 08:27 AM
ohhhh, I'd love to be in Savannah ... but that would mean more deployments for him, so we're trying to avoid that base. My family is in Charleston SC, though, so it would be a great location. Still, we'll just avoid Stewart. I really want to keep my soldier home.

Yes, I can see how a move to Hawaii would seem daunting! I remember when my girlfriend's Marine family was posted there. She nearly ripped out her hair on that move! smileys/smiley3.gif But once they got settled in, they loved every minute of it. It helped that their housing was oceanside & beachfront! smileys/smiley36.gif

Artist4Sale
01-07-2009, 08:20 PM
AWwww, I was the same way when we moved from MO to AK. Not that I liked Fort Lost in the Woods or anything, but knowing that my hubby was deploying, that's what did it.

Craziest thing too. The move here, we decided I could be a SAHM, and I thought...HOW the heck am I going to make friends without getting a job?? Well I did it, and I am happy to have the people I have right now, especially since he deployed in Sept.

Every move I get anxious, then when I really think about it, I am amazed at how quickly we get ourself in a groove and make friends. Get's quicker every new duty station.

Oh and I would LOVE to get Hawaii next, I am still hoping for it. Then I think about my 2 cats and my bull mastiff we would have to fly over...then the quaranteen. Although I heard it's not as long as it used to be. I don't understand why you would have to do it if you are military and have docs from you vet that all is good, ya know? Stupid!

Stacey

judypierce
01-17-2009, 03:01 PM
I am the mother of 3 army soldiers. We live 40 miles south of Ft. Hood. Our son that is in Iraq home base is Ft. Hood. Its not that bad. It will take a while to get use to the area but the base is nice.

Bugsparrow
03-27-2009, 07:28 AM
Hi, I'm new to Ft. Hood and it's not so bad. I have been here for a little more than a month. When are you supposed to Pcs? Since I'm new here I can't offer much advice yet, but if you are house hunting I can definately help out! On base housing has a long wait list depending on rank and family size, but some off base communities are great! Good luck on your move! Let me know if you have questions!!

superwahm2006
04-20-2009, 02:08 PM
I live here in Fort Hood and hated it at first but now we love it and won't go any where else. It does take some time getting used to but it's still good. Let me know if you need anything at all don't hesitate to IM me Juanita_espinosa on yahoo. We have been here for 4 years now.

chrlstoncharmed
04-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Hi everyone! I'm here in the hills of Texas now. Our house is beautiful and we have a great view.

DH is still inprocessing, so we're not all that familiar with the post yet, but it will come in time. We've found a really great family-owned Mexican restaurant out in Kempner that we LOVE!!!

I'm not really thrilled with the surrounding towns (Killeen, Copperas Cove) but I do like where we live ... out in the country. When you've been to some of the most beautiful places on Earth, it's hard to appreciate the dullness of central Texas.smileys/smiley36.gif

HassanAjmal
05-04-2009, 09:06 PM
I was in the military for 5 years and that
itself was tough. I can't even imagine 20 years.
Stay strong, it will be okay.

KeishaWilliams
05-12-2009, 03:31 AM
Wow..I just read all of your responses. We will likely be moving to Ft. Hood this coming Oct. and I am like counting down for reeeal!!

I am relieved b/c I was talking to somoene who lived in TX and was telling me who bad Ft. Hood is and that I don't want to take my kids there. So I was doing research but I wanted to hear from people who actually LIVE there. So this is a breath of fresh air.

Question....do you recommend living in the outskirts....say Temple?
How is Harker Heights? I really don't want to live in Killeen or Coperras Cove. We will be retiring there (only 5 1/2 yrs left when we get there) and we don't want to have to move again after he's done.

chrlstoncharmed
05-12-2009, 05:52 AM
No, you don't want to live in Killeen. Don't rule out Copperas Cove, though ... the schools are better. We actually live in the hills west of Copperas Cove, in Kempner.

The neighborhood we're in is amazing ... it's spread out, quiet and very friendly. All of the homes out here are gorgeous. My house is most likely the nicest house I will ever live in (all thanks to the US Army) LOL! smileys/smiley36.gif

We didn't even consider Harker Heights because it would be way too far of a commute for hubby - he's on West Ft Hood so there's no reason to live so far East.

lovinitteam
06-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Hi,

Just wanted to clarify a few things, since I know how hard it is to really judge a city before you have been there. I actually looked at Copperas Cove before we got Pcs to Ft. Hood....not sure why, but something just drew me there. We have rented and since bought our first home in Cove. It's really nice here, and if you like a small town atmosphere this is the city for you. You can always drive 5-10 min to Killeen , which offer more shops, malls and the big movie theater...but then again, they are building a new theater here in Cove which will open soon. We do have the local theater wich is kid friendly, have super comfy couches(for a little extra) and the cartoon dressed up employees take your orders and deliver your popcorn, drinks, candy etc...They also have live theater there. We have a yearly Rabbit fest, which is at our Copperas Cove park, it draws lots of people from close towns....its music, vendors, food and rides....

They have german fests on our "Main street"
2 yearly city yard/garage sales, you can sell your stuff, lol.
City pools
College about 5 min away (Central Texas College)
Library that has toddler and infant story/craft days (if you have small children)
Local YMCA(for soldiers and depend)also have kid play days during the week
Super Wal-Mart(of course)
HEB(wonderful if you like different food selections, healthy stuff, different stuff)

It really is nice here, and if you go a little to the outskirst, you will be surrounded by lush (depends on when it is, lol) landscape, land, larger homes, and deers running around your property. It's quite tranquil.

You must visit us! I think you will love it!

We have been here since 05, and we plan on staying put!

Hope some of this helped.

http://Lin-militarywifelife.blogspot.com/Edited by: lovinitteam