WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Picking a company

Mom_To_2_Girls
09-11-2008, 09:32 AM
I'm trying to decide what company I'd like to start up with. I'm leaning towards HGP and AtHome. I like the higher commission and no requirements to stay active with HGP, plus they are running a startup kit sale right now. But I live in a very small area and there is a HGP rep about 30 minutes from me.

I looked at the catalog for AtHome and liked what they have to offer, and there isn't a rep in my immediate area (closest one is about an hour away). I don't like the commission rate and the sales requirements, even though they don't seem too unmanageable.

I'd really like to hear from ladies that work either of these companies. What's your favorite thing about the company? What's your least favorite? (and please be honest, and don't say I love everything)

Thanks!

O3WorldFORM
09-11-2008, 05:08 PM
This is something that is true

The key to finding a home based business starts with knowing yourself.
That means knowing what you are good at and what you do not do well.
You must also be honest with yourself when doing this. We would all
love to be perfect in every aspect of life but the truth is we are not
and we have to accept this fact. This is important because picking a
business in which most of the tasks that need to be done are your
strengths will increase your chances of success.For example letís say
you are not much of a talker. You do not talk much to people who you do
not know and you keep to yourself usually. You are however extremely
organized and love to write. It would most likely be in your best
interest to be an article writer or ghost writer. They do not require
you to do much talking or go to meetings all the time.

jerid.
09-12-2008, 04:17 AM
I re-read your post, Sabrina, and realize I didn't answer the questions you posed, which were actually directed to consultants of other companies--whoops!

Well, I don't have any experience with AHA or HGP, but I would tell you to follow your passion. Ask yourself which company excites you the most, because your excitement about the products is what will make your parties easy and fun.

Good luck!

JeriEdited by: jerid.

HGPLynnE
09-14-2008, 08:09 PM
Thanks for asking opinions.

I have been with HGP for 10 years. I have been through the fast growth in 1998 that helped to strengthen the company to what it is today. I like that they are debt free. I also enjoy the 40% commission that I earn now that I have sold my $1500 cumulatively. If I have a slow month I know my commission will still be 40%. No pressure to hit a level like I had with my previous party plan.

I like the variety of products and that we offer free shipping to our hostesses and customers. Just add local tax. I like that the company listens to the designer team when making decisions. I like that most of the hostess program is company paid. We do have to pay $5 when booking credits are redeemed and we share the cost of credit card purchases 2.75% of the transaction amount. (those would probably be my most disliked items, but they are both tax right-offs against my profit)

I enjoy that the designer team is willing to help others in the HGP family succeed. I wouldn't necessarily let the fact that there is a rep 30 minutes from you be a deterient.

Good luck with your decision.

McKinneyJafra4u
09-18-2008, 11:33 AM
I agree. HGP would be a great choice. Reasonable prices, high quality merchandise, no shipping fees, HIGH COMMISSIONS. No waiting for a check in the mailsmileys/smiley1.gif

O3WorldFORM
09-18-2008, 12:05 PM
I joined so many home based bizs it was ridiculus. No matter how much money i spent the pay out never covered my expenses for leads.

McKinneyJafra4u
09-18-2008, 12:38 PM
I never pay for my leads.
I work thru referrals and flyers and books I leave around town. Been doing that for 14 years smileys/smiley1.gif
Put myself thru college as a District Manager for Jafra Cosmetics. Had a car, trips, the whole thing. Then I got a "real" job. Then I did Home Interiors for several years, got LOTS of free stuff to decorate my home and made some nice money on the side.
So you can make money but you have to work hard at it.
At the top of my game in Jafra, I had 45 consultants under me and was one of the youngest DM in the Dallas area. It was fun and I still have Jafra customers who email me their order from Colorado! So I make a nice profit while doing nothing but opening my email, inputting the order to Jafra and shipping it out to my clients.
It averages to about $30 an hour. Not bad huh??

O3WorldFORM
09-18-2008, 02:27 PM
awesome, I think you would do great with our company then, live demos that make peoples jaws drop.

pretty sweet.

cremar
09-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Hello to all!!
I was with AHA and didn't like alot of things. You don't get your commission right away, sometimes you don't even get all of your commission. Or for me, it was like this. There's alot to say here but I won't make up your minds on the company you choose. Thanks

McKinneyJafra4u
09-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Also very important to consider how some of the companies offer a very low commission. I always choose companies that I can get my money up front and not have to wait for the commission check. I think that is too much work for me and the company to have to wait for a check to be cut.
But that's just my opinion.

cjsmama
10-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Hi , - What do you LOVE - what are you passionate about??

If you want to go into a home business - pick one with products that YOU just cannot get enough of - pick something that you are honored to support - if you are talking about something that you truly believe in - the fear will go away.

I LOVE AtHome America - I get excited every time I talk about it - the products are what caught my attention - I mean they are just beautiful - and I wanted my house to look like the catalog....

but what REALLY drives me and gets me excited is our companies mission - with commitment to God first, then our families and THEN Athome America - we are on a mission to change America one heart, one home and one family at a time. I am a part of a company that generously supports homeless veterans and those living with ALS - I am part of a company that has donated over 60,000 to the home renovations on Extreme makeover home edition.......

Then there is my team.... I get to work with incredible women literally from coast to coast who I proudly call my friends...

The transformations that I have seen in others because they are a part of my incredible company are so inspiring!

I wish you blessings in your search! ~ Lisa

ambularc22
11-12-2008, 02:59 PM
I agree with Lisa! I love it too. I love the product- I can't get enough of it! It's versatile and we truly have something for everyone not to mention affordable! I love that 90% of our catalog is under $50! I love the family feel of the company. I love that I have been with them since February and have personally met and hugged the co-founder twice since then on two separate and inspirational occasions. I love the multiple charitable organizations they give thousands and thousands to. I love that you can qualify to receive leads from the company. I LOVEEEEE AHA.

YOU also need to love what you pick too. I was in your shoes 9 months ago when I was picking which company I had wanted to get into after requesting information from about 25 different direct sales companies, and I chose AHA for many reasons. Every company will have it's pros and cons, but you have to go with what you love and what inspires you. If you would like to chat or email me, send me a PM...I'd love to talk with you!

SLAHStyle
12-06-2008, 01:03 PM
I don't know if you have already chosen a company, but one thing one should look at is if the company charges you for Credit Card processing.

I am happy to say SLAH does not. In some of the companies you have toopen an accountPropaythat charges a fee to process and transfer money to your bank account, or the company itself charges a fee to process cards anywhere from 2-3% of the sale.

That may not sound like much but over the coarse of a year it could really add up:

If you sold $20,000 of merchandise via credit card at a 2.5% fee in a year, you'd be taking $500 out of your profits!

ksbell
12-30-2008, 07:57 PM
I don't know if you've chosen a company yet. I finally did... joined Uppercase Living yesterday. We are having a joining special for either $99/149 depending on the kit purchased. This company just kept drawing me to the products and ideas about using them... it was a no-brainer for me. Also, for any web orders or open house orders over $50, THERE'S NO SHIPPING COSTS added thru the 31st!!! Wow!

The new incentives for Jan. will be announced in a few days but that's what is going on now. Best of luck to you in your search! Go with your gut... it's rarely wrong!

If you're interested in knowing more, let me know!

Kim
http://kbell.uppercaseliving.net
My Rep # is 700677

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1