WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Swelling

scarlett9284
08-24-2008, 07:04 PM
Hi, everyone!

I'm Nicole, 23 years old (will be 24 in a couple of weeks). Currently not working anymore, getting things ready to start an at home daycare, hopefully by December. Due October 19th with my first and I can't wait! Tomorrow is my wedding anniversary (one year) and I couldn't be happier....

except for my feet being so swollen. They have gotten swollen occasionally over the past month but before it always went down after a night's rest. However, to celebrate our anniversary, my husband and I went to Niagra Falls this weekend and did a long tour which required a lot of walking. Between the long drives (we live near Bethlehem, Pa) and the tour, my feet have been majorly swollen since Friday and haven't gone down, not even in the morning. Is there any tips that actually work to reduce the swelling? I'm willing to try anything at this point! Thanks!

lilmisssunshine
08-25-2008, 12:41 PM
I have swelling problems too, both hands and feet.

What's your sitting position? My preferred position is with my left leg crossed under indian-style, and right leg dangling down. This means that I only get one "fat foot" as I call it. haha.

Anyway, it's better when I put it up on a footstool.

Love,
SHannon

laprincess31
08-25-2008, 06:34 PM
I have to prop my feet up when I sit to keep from swelling.

I know that is kind of hard to do when traveling, and I have stopped traveling till I have the baby.

Mine usually goes down after a night of sleep also. I wish I could be of more help! I know swelling is a miserable feeling!

LassodMoon
08-26-2008, 08:18 AM
I'd just double check with your doctor as sometimes swelling that doesn't go down is symptomatic of something else (pre-eclampsia for example). I only mention it because one of the nurses I saw said to me "we just worry about the swelling that doesn't go away by morning" when she asked if I had any in my hands and feet. Not to worry you, but it's always good to double check on things like that :)

But you may have actually bruised your feet a bit with all the walking and that's what's causing the swelling.

kalmond
08-27-2008, 10:48 AM
I have high blood pressure and one thing that will help is to limit your salt intake even a little will help. Drink water, alot! Your pee should be clear and don't wait till you are thirsty and keep your feet up as much as possible. This will be your only excuse to relax and lay around before your bundle of " I need you and I need you now!!!" comes into this world!http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley4.gif

jlkbrich
08-27-2008, 10:56 AM
I remember those days. With my first I was pregnant through the winter months so it was not bad but for my second I was pregnant int he summer and I felt like the size of a pole barn. I wish you all the luck and get rest now because when your baby comes there will not be much resting time.

http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif

scarlett9284
08-29-2008, 02:30 PM
The swelling is coming down, slowly. I think that swelling in the hands and face are signs of pre-eclampsia, not in the feet but I could be wrong. My next appointment is next Thursday, I'll be sure to talk to them about my swelling then.

kalmond
08-29-2008, 02:33 PM
My face and feet were the only things that swelled on me and with my last child I had pre-eclampsia in the last 3 weeks. they induce me at 36wks. cause I have 8 1/2lb. babies at 36wks. and with the high blood pressure I have the eclampsia gets worse around that time.

mchoat
08-30-2008, 11:09 PM
I have pre-eclampsia and my feet, face, and hands look like water balloons! Since my bp is in check right now, I'm not lucky enough to be induced http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley19.gifbut we are showing signs he may come early!

Tlak to your doc about the swelling and ask if there's protein in your urine. Unfortunately for me, they knew I had pre-eclampsia for a few weeks based on my urine results but wanted to monitor things before bringing it to my attention

lilmisssunshine
08-31-2008, 12:01 PM
Is there anything you can do to prevent pre-eclampsia?

Love,
Shannon

scarlett9284
09-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Well, I had my appointment today and I mentioned the swelling to the doctor, not that it isn't visible or anything. :) But he just said that it's only a problem ifit's excessive (mine isn't) and I don't have any of the other symptoms for pre-elcamsia- no protein in the urine and my blood pressure has always been great throughout the pregnancy. So I'll just keep an eye on it as I prop my feet up and just wait to deliver the baby.