WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : What's your doctor visit like?

lilmisssunshine
07-22-2008, 10:20 PM
I was asked to do a survey about my doctor and since this is my first baby, I've got nothing to compare it to, I thought I'd ask here.

At first, I was a little surprised by the way the appointments went. But after I thought about it, I kinda liked it...

The nurse does BP/weight check and checks my urine for sugar/protein.

When the doctor comes in, he listens to the baby's heartbeat. Then checks on the computer for any test work and so on. As long as there's no problems, he won't say much. He lets me ask any questions I want and he answers them all. When I finish asking my questions, he tells me when I should make my next appointment for and I leave.

Is that how yours go?

At first, I was surprised because he doesn't check *my* eyes/ears/throat/heartbeat the way it would usually happen in a doctor's appointment. He also doesn't ask me if I have certain symptoms of pregnancy (e.g. "Are you constipated?" etc.). But then in a way, I kinda liked it cuz if he *did* ask those questions and check all into me, it would seem like he was treating pregnancy as a *disease*, which it's clearly not. So I kinda liked it.

It seems short cuz most of the time if I notice anything strange, I look it up online and find out that it's common with pregnancy or something like that. So I never have to ask him "Should I be worried about heartburn?" I don't feel like he's rushing me at all...there's never anyone in the office and if I'm early, I get in early. I just feel like he's shockingly efficient. smileys/smiley36.gif

But on the other hand, there's a part of me going "But there's a *baby* in me. Don't you need to check more things and run more tests or something?"

Just curious how this compares to your experiences.

Love,
Shannon

amber4842
07-23-2008, 02:19 AM
My appointments are the same as yours. Seems like I'm in and out.
At my next appt. I have my ultrasound and hoping to find out if baby is a boy or girl. My bets are on a boy http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley17.gifAnd I want to start baby shopping!

Jewel
07-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Sounds pretty typical. I've had 4 of my 5 with the same OB/GYN, who also happens to be female, so we would just shoot thebreeze about whatever if she wasn't overbooked! As far as pregnancy related stuff goes, though, that's pretty much the norm.

laprincess31
07-24-2008, 09:37 PM
Mine is pretty much the same way, but I have not heard the baby's heartbeat from a Dr. visit yet... lol

My Dr. pulls out the U/S machine every visit.. lol So, I get to see the baby, and we see his/her heartbeat.