WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : cloth diapers

grati
07-15-2008, 05:05 AM
Anyone here using cloth diapers? How do you like them? Do you use a diaper service?

lilmisssunshine
07-15-2008, 02:27 PM
I'm going to, but obviously I don't know how I like them yet.

This gets discussed every once in awhile, with most people on opposite sides of the spectrum. smileys/smiley4.gif

I considered the diaper service because we live in an apartment and I didn't think that I could use a coin laundry. Once I realized that the coin laundry was OK, I decided that I would just do that.

I also want to practice elimination communication (knowing when your child has to "go" and putting them over the toilet).

But I realize that this stuff (cloth diapers, EC, etc.) is easier for me to do because I work from home at whatever times I want, and I don't have any other kids yet.

I think the choices all depend on your personal situation. There is no "ultimate best way" to do anything with babies. Only the thing that works best for you.

Love,
Shannon

manleymom
07-15-2008, 03:10 PM
I wanted to use them w/ my son but ended up not, but I'm going to try and use them some w/ this one.

kalmond
07-19-2008, 05:04 PM
Oh I really want to use them since I feel that i have become more eco friendly but some of the web sites that I have visited are very pricey! Has anyone looked at a web site that I may have overlooked with better pricing??

lilmisssunshine
07-19-2008, 11:53 PM
Which kinds have you been looking at? I've noticed that the all-in-one styles are quite pricey, especially if you consider how many you need.

I looked at the Bummis starter pack on ebay. It's like $150 and says it comes with (oh I forget the specifics) a certain number of outer covers, a certain number of pre-folds and some other accessories.

I couldn't quite figure out how that worked, so I searched on YouTube for some videos dealing with cloth diapering. This may sound silly, but I haven't seen anyone cloth diapering since *I* was a kid. And then it was the diaper pin/rubber pants style.

Anyway, it seems that these people all used prefolds, with a thing called a Snappi instead of pins, and then put on a cover.

That's not that expensive.

So....as an example from my baby registry, I chose the Bummis super whisper wrap diaper cover. It's $11. The pre-fold diapers are $2.50 each. Presumably, the covers last a few times (?) so you need less of those. I know the costs add up over time, but let's say at a bare minimum, you'd want 6 covers and 20 prefolds. That's $66+50=$116. Not so bad compared to disposable (Of course, I'm not taking laundry costs into consideration here.).

I don't think that there's a real reason you need the all-in-ones other than convenience. And to me, they don't seem THAT much more convenient.

Of course, take all my advice with a grain of salt, since I have no experience in the matter.

Love,
SHannon

kalmond
07-20-2008, 08:02 AM
Shannon thanks for the info, I will defiently look at the bummis diapers. You may say that you have no experience but believe me you have done your homework!! This will be my 5th baby and I am just now getting info and very interested in cloth diapers, so kudos to you!!http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley32.gif

kalmond
07-20-2008, 11:26 AM
Also found a site, www.gdiapers.com (http://www.gdiapers.com) I luv to watch the videos on how the diapers work and I am going to be buying these diapers to try out.

grati
07-22-2008, 06:08 AM
Good luck whatever you choose. I will tell you my experiences with 2 months of cloth diapering. I went with Green Mountain Diapers in Vermont. I bought a dozen prefolds ($28) and 3 covers (1 thirsties, 1 bummis velcro and 1 bummis with snaps), I bought 3 Snap-to-fits and 3 Sposo all in ones.
The prefolds...i just fold in thirds and stick it in the diaper cover and on my boy. I don't use thesnappi fasteners. It's quicker and easier. They wash well too.
The Snug to fit are a one size diaper that also need a cover. I find I like them at night time and use a doubler and no leaks so far. These wash pretty good but not as good as the prefolds. I like the fact that they should fit until potty trained but I don't know how durable they are.
Sposo-all-in-ones are cute and very simple. They are very trim and are not bulky at all. You have to be aware though because they leak quickly so you'll have to change often. Expensive too. I am not all that impressed with this kind.
The diaper covers....I love the Thirsties brand best. They wash great and no velcro problems in the wash. The double gussets are awesome and very good color selection (no cute designs though, only solids). Bummis work very good too. I saw a site called Jillians Drawers that sell Thirsties for $10.95...the cheapest I've found.

Overall, I like the prefolds best with the Thirsties covers.
Good luck with whatever you choose. And let us know what you chose and what you like best.