WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

lilmisssunshine
06-28-2008, 10:50 AM
I think that every mother expects people to ooh and aah over the cleverness of the name she's chosen for her baby. Like, when we tell people what the baby's name is, we want them to say:

"OH! That's a GREAT name. However did you choose it?"

or perhaps even a polite:

"That's a good name. I like it."

Now that we know we're having a boy, I've been thinking of people's responses to our probably boy name over the past few months. It's always been:

"huh"

EVERY single person has said that.

The name is "Taiga", sounds a bit like "tiger" without the R sound at the end. It's a Japanese name, but not a common one and still easy for Americans to pronounce (unlike my husband's name which has the Japanese syllable "tsu" in it).

I don't know if people say "huh" because they don't like the name, or just because it's not at all something they were expecting. Since my husband is Japanese, I don't think that it would be all that common for a Japanese name to come out of my mouth. I always wonder if a more common Japanese name would get a better reaction.

It's just left me feeling weird to not get a positive reaction from anyone. It makes me wonder if throughout his life, people are all going to say "huh" whenever he introduces himself.

Anyway, there are other names that we like too, Taiga has just always stuck out.

Do you care at all what others think of your baby's name?

Love,
Shannon

KimberlyD
06-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Huh?? Just kidding. I think it is a clever name and im sure your husband is proud to have a name of his culture. Personally i dont care what others think of what i name my child..
My second son who is 4 name is Ryder B. ... B is hismiddle name, it just an initial, no name. myhubby only has an initial for his middle name. we decided just on B because my hubby, father in law and my dadsnames all start in B.
i am having a daughter this time and her name will be Kiersten. Like the beginning of keira or K-ear-sten. Everyone so far likes it they just ask how i am going to spell it and ive had several "suggestions" on how to spell it.

LassodMoon
06-28-2008, 03:11 PM
We're (well mostly me) going through this now- we just found out it's definitely a boy- and the name we'd picked out is Ransom Scott. Most younger people have been like "Cool name"- adults, parents, some friends have been like either "I don't really like it" (thanks Mom, LOL) or we've gotten the same response.
I know that had we actually had a name for our middle boy before he was born (doc was 99% sure he was a girl!), we probably would've gotten the same response. We ended up choosing Rhoan in the hospital. Had we picked that ahead of time, I think we would've gotten similar responses, but his name totally fits him.

So, now I'm doubting our choice 1) because of that and 2) because of the similar sounds. We threw out another name to our two boys and they both independently picked the other name...so now we're thinking it should be our other choice- Liam.

So, while I'd like to tell you to not let it bother you- I can't LOL, as it's bothering me too. I hate to change it now after we'd been set on it, but ack! it stinks.Edited by: LassodMoon

lilmisssunshine
06-28-2008, 03:47 PM
I like Ransom, though I can see how people might not know what to think about it. It's unique, without going to far, if you know what I mean.

My mom pointed out today that most Anglo names that end with an "a" sound are girls names. So maybe that's why the pause.

Love,
Shannon

Lizzardq
07-06-2008, 05:27 AM
Hi,

I would try not to let it bother you. (easier said than done, I know.) I named both of my sons super common names (Tyler and Ethan) and still had people say the didn't like it or give me weird reactions. Some people just are opinionated and not very tactful! smileys/smiley36.gif

Another thought I had is maybe since it IS unusal, people are just saying "huh?" to get you to say it again so they remember it. (You don't really have to try to remember common names, but I would guess this would be like learning a new word, where you have to say it a couple times or think about it for an extra sec in order to have it "sink in" - if that makes sense.

Anyways, I think it's a great name and you shouldn't let their reactions hold you back!

Good luck!

Kelly M
07-07-2008, 01:01 PM
I named my sons Storm and Talon (daughter Haley is common). We get a lot of "huhs" but who cares we like them.
Kelly

*Bama*
07-07-2008, 01:10 PM
I like the name too. I went to school with a boy name Tige and I thought it was pretty cool. The whole family had unique names I thought. I say if you like it go with it, don't worry about what others think!

IMO its better than Apple or some of the other names you see celebrities using!

manleymom
09-04-2008, 03:18 PM
I try not to let it bother me. I like unique names something that's not really out there already. with my daughter, her name is Camille, every one would ask "don't you mean Camilla" I would be like NO, it's Camille,lol. My son's name is Cannon people weren't so sure of that one at first, my newest one is Cadeyn!

lilmisssunshine
09-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Funny that you brought this one back up...we've decided on a full name...

Taiga Yu!

I've known a Camille before and I think it's pretty.

I remember in elementary school, one of the girls at my babysitter had the last name "Schmidt", but another girl kept insisting that she was pronouncing her own last name wrong...it should be "smith" haha.

Love,
Shannon