WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : direct sales overseas

bbrown1226
06-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Hi ya'll! We are getting ready to PCS to Spangdahlem Germany and I am currently in jewelry direct sales. I had always assumed as long as I had everything sent to my APO address, it would be fine. Well, now that we are getting closer to our move, I found out that we are not supposed to have anything like that sent through our APO. Am I out of business now? For those overseas with home direct sales businesses that are from the states, what are you doing? I do not want to do anything that could jeopardize my husband or my business, but I would really love to take this with me.

beachchef
06-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Barbara - I dont do jewelry, I am with Pampered Chef and I know there are quite a few repsin my cluster who are stationed overseas and they do just fine. PC ships to APO addresses with no problem. We have a couple in Okinawa and Germany. I live just outside of Cherry Pt and many of these girls have successfully moved their PChef business with them.

I dont know if this is a problem for you because it is jewelry? I've never heard of that.Maybe someone has a better answer as to where you can check to be sure. Edited by: beachchef

Mrs1stSgt
06-11-2008, 07:03 AM
If your company is registered as a DSWA Company, it is usually the DSWA gudielines, I am not sure why. Being a military wife I usually stay away from companies that are DSWA. PC has been in business long enough to have the blessings from DSWA to go over seas. I don't think the shipping is the issue, I think it is the guidelines this company has to follow because of the DSWA. Ask someone in your upline why?
Lisa

bbrown1226
06-11-2008, 07:45 AM
It is not my company. They have no problem shipping to the APO. After doing research though, I am finding out that APO's are not supposed to be used for business purposes. I just want to make sure I do everything on the up and up. My husband is security forces, and will have alot of troops under him. I don't want to set a bad example for the other wives. But, aren't we allowed to shop online and have things sent through our personal APOs? So, I would think it would be o.k for my hostesses to have their orders sent to their APO??? Jewelry isn't very big, so it would just be one box.

Melolicious
06-11-2008, 01:27 PM
I did my business when I lived in Germany. The way my APO explained it to me was that you cannot use your APO box for "profit". Ebay selling, having products sent to you to resell, etc. There are also rules about living in gov't quarters and operating a "store" type business. HOWEVER... the way around it to do it legally is to drop ship to hostesses, customers, etc. You'll have to register your business on post as well.

The way I found this out was that I had a hostess who lived on the German economy, and instead of having her things sent to her address and jacking up the shipping costs through the roof for international shipping, I had the order sent to me at my APO. The box was addressed like this:

Suzie Q Customer
C/O Melanie Leaseburg
CMR 411 box # 1234
APO, AE

The APO was only for OUR use, not for anyone else to get mail there in our care. It was a printed label mistake on the part of my former company, but nonetheless, I was given a warning for my APO box. The post master told me to make sure everything goes in under my name.

As long as your company will ship to an APO and you have everything addressed with your name on it, you should be fine. Or have the orders sent to a friend or customer. That's technically "around" the rules to have your stock items sent to another friend's name and address because she isn't going to make profit on it, she's simply receiving an order and giving it to you, if that makes sense.

HTH!
Melanie