WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Baby Shower question..

trish892
06-09-2008, 01:09 PM
Are you supposed to have a baby shower for your 2nd child? My 1st dd is 7 and my mother in law wants to have a shower for me but I have always heard that it is inappropriate to have a 2nd shower, any ideas?? I have been to showers for the 2nd baby before so maybe it is ok.

Trish

Eleez
06-09-2008, 01:37 PM
It seems like there is 2 thoughts on this -

It's never ok

And

It's perfectly fine if there is a long span of time in between 1st and 2nd child.

In your case, 7 years is a long time to hang onto baby stuff, so I think a new shower would be fine!

It's just those that have 2 showers and the babies are only 18 months apart that it's a little silly (and seems like a grab for presents)

manleymom
06-09-2008, 02:09 PM
I agree. I have a friend that had a baby shower last year and another one this year. Yes her kids are going to be that close together. She has 1 girl, 7 boys and another girl on the way. So I can kind of understand having one this time because of a girl, but with all the other boys you would think she would have baby stuff, lol.

I had one w/ my daughter (my first) and then my cousin gave me one for my son. They were 4 years apart

trish892
06-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Thank you ladies. I do have some things of my dd still. I have a friend that her kids are 3 and almost 1 now and they had a 2nd shower, I kinda thought it was inappropriate but I went anyway of course. Thanks again!!!!!!

mchoat
06-09-2008, 06:27 PM
I don't see anything wrong with it. I'm having another one. But then again, my daughter will be ELEVEN when HE"S born!http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif

Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with it unless the kids are like a year apart and it's same gender. Either way, I don't care cuz I still go.........baby showers are so fun!http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley20.gif

kalmond
06-10-2008, 04:00 PM
This will be my fifth and it is a girl. My last baby was a boy and he is three. Now my last girl will be 7 when this baby gets here and I pray that someone will give me a shower cause I don't have any girl clothes and we are tight on money(with four children, go figure!!)

dagsmom
06-15-2008, 10:11 PM
I felt the same way...DS was going to be 6 1/2when DD wasdue to arrive. SIL made all the arrangements for another shower, and I felt it may be wrong too. Personally, now that I got over it, if there is a big time span (like you and me) I say go for it! I even see the point of finally having another girl after 7 boys! Congrats on #2---it really helps that the oldest is old enough to help and old enough to understand!