WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Is it just me?

mchoat
05-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Or is planning a baby shower enough to make you want to pull your hair out? My mom and the baby's other grandmother are putting this whole thing together but both of them are driving me nuts! They can't decide on the hall they want to rent out because we obviously come from 2 different neighborhoods, they're inviting people I don't even know. The guest list is currently at 111. Food is an issue because they can't decide on that.

Has anyone thought to ask the mommy-to-be what she wants? The only thing I'm in charge of is picking out the invitations and the plates, napkins, etc. I seriously got a migraine over this one. I don't even want to go! http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif

Is it just me?

lilmisssunshine
05-22-2008, 12:55 PM
OMG! 111 people. Are you going to have to open all those presents in front of everyone? That's going to take up the whole party!!!

On the flip side though...I'm jealous. I don't have any friends and family where I live, so there's not anyone who's going to throw me a party. I wish I had two people fighting over how to throw me the best party.

Love,
Shannon

mchoat
05-22-2008, 01:52 PM
Shannon, I don't even know half the people! I just wanted a small routine shower with no big hassle. It's turned into a big ole hot mess!

Jen Kap
05-22-2008, 05:06 PM
on the positive side imagin all the presents you'll get and all that you won't have to dish out cash to do!!

With my first I was stressed out over the shower. Looking back I wish I wouldve just sat back and let everyone else do the work and worry about the shower. Just it is a shower they are throwing in honor of you. So try not to think about and enjoy it!!

Eleez
05-23-2008, 07:16 AM
They are such a mess!!!
My mom and sis are throwing one for me. We decided this just after I found out I was pregnant. Then my Aunt (who I DON'T like) decided she was going to trump mom and throw it instead. Uh, uh, I don't think so.

It was cleared up between the 2 of them pretty quick, but I was at the point where I was going to tell my Aunt - Go ahead, throw it, see if I show up!!!

Ok, I never would have done it, but it really pissed me off when I specifically told her - no, mom and sis are throwing this, at this hall, and it's in september. She just didn't bother to listen to the mom to be!!!! Oh, and it was a hormonal moment too!http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif

In your case, if you have something you want, ie. the food or hall, just tell them. Hey, I'd really like it here for such and such reason.

If you don't care, just wash your hands of it. They are planning it for YOU. Tell them you won't referee. They can figure it out! lol

DestinysMom
05-24-2008, 04:55 PM
We're trying to plan my shower now. I have no idea how to go about it, lol. My mom keeps asking me to pick a date. Since my due dates only 8 weeks away. Thats if he doesn't come early. Any pointers you want to send this way would be great.

mchoat
05-26-2008, 08:21 AM
Destinys Mom, we're still in the planning stages but I got alot of ideas right off the net for baby games and after asking around, they seem pretty fun!The baby's grandparents are taking over alot of the stuff but I did decide on alot of the decorations and plates, napkins, etc andthey are too cute! I got them at our local party store. And it didn't cost me an arm and a leg (you'll see alot of cutesy expensive stuff online!). The only thing I'm having a problem in is finding cute and inexpensive invitations. Those things can break the bank! http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif

I think though just pick a date, find a few people who will cook up some food instead of catering it so you can actually save some money, and have fun. I'm alot less stressed after reading Eleez's comment. I talked to the grandparents and we got the list down to a respectable 40, most of the "super chefs" in the families are cooking, the granparents are spliiting the cost in renting the hall and getting the gift bags and prizes together, and all is well in "Marleeka Land!" ! Good luck and remember to have fun!

beccasmom86
05-26-2008, 09:43 AM
I'm on my sec. child. My mother and mother-n-law were doing the same thing. The stress was way to much for me having to make everyone happy "but me". So on mothers day I got them both together and told them my "great" idea. How about instead of a baby shower we do a baby welcoming! I told them that everyone would want to see the baby once she was born and why not just put the shower off till then. They both went for it and now i'm a little less stressed for the rest of my pregnacy. Then after the babys born I'll be to busy to "help" them plan.

manleymom
05-26-2008, 10:01 AM
We are planning on doing the same thing. Are you planning on doing games or just sort of a come and go. where they just eat something if they want, hold the baby or look at the baby and then go

laprincess31
05-27-2008, 06:48 AM
I never had a baby shower with my2 teensand I don't think anyone is giving me one with this one either.

*Lyndsey*
06-07-2008, 03:35 AM
Well to all the ladies having a shower have fun!!! I had so much fun at mine!