WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Sodas Can Make You FAT!

Lori Moreno
04-15-2008, 11:29 AM
<DIV dir=ltr align=left>Hi Everyone!
<DIV dir=ltr align=left>
<DIV dir=ltr align=left>This was emailed to me from a friend of mine in my ISA business....
<DIV dir=ltr align=left>
<DIV dir=ltr align=left>Dr. Sears Advice: 4-8-08
<DIV =Section1>
Avoid sodas…even if they are diet.
Sodas will make you fat. And they lead to other health problems. That “innocent” low-cal diet soda is really danger in a can.
A new study published in Circulation tracked the diets of men and women for nine years. Those who drank just one can of diet soda a day increased their risk of metabolic syndrome by 34%.
And, just one can of diet soda a day puts you at almost a 10% higher risk of developing metabolic syndrome than eating a diet of fried foods! 1. Regular soda isn’t any better. Another study found that regular soda consumption is also associated with the metabolic syndrome.
Why should this alarm you? Metabolic syndrome is a collection of symptoms that lead to diabetes, heart disease and other chronic diseases like cancer.
If you’re like the average American you drink an estimated 56 gallons of soft drinks each year.
You may have metabolic syndrome and not even know it. In fact, the American Heart Association estimates that over 50 million Americans have metabolic syndrome.
Do you have any of these symptoms?
<UL =disc>
<LI =Msonormal style="COLOR: black">Excessive fat tissue in and around the abdomen </LI>[/list]
<UL =disc>
<LI =Msonormal style="COLOR: black">High levels of bad LDL cholesterol, low levels of good HDL cholesterol, and high triglycerides. </LI>[/list]
<UL =disc>
<LI =Msonormal style="COLOR: black">High blood pressure </LI>[/list]
<UL =disc>
<LI =Msonormal style="COLOR: black">Insulin resistance or glucose intolerance (the body can’t properly use insulin or blood sugar) </LI>[/list]

Each one of these symptoms can cause a whole host of health problems on its own.
And if that’s not enough reason to stay away from soda, here’s another reason…it’s also linked to tooth decay and osteoporosis.
Diet soda, although lacking in calories, can be even worse than regular soda. In addition to increasing the risk of metabolic syndrome, it contains artificial sweeteners that put your health even further at risk. I’ve written about the dangers of artificial sweeteners in the past. Aspartame, the most popular of these sweeteners can cause:
<UL =disc>
<LI =Msonormal style="COLOR: black">brain tumors </LI>[/list]
<UL =disc>
<LI =Msonormal style="COLOR: black">birth defects </LI>[/list]
<UL =disc>
<LI =Msonormal style="COLOR: black">diabetes </LI>[/list]
<UL =disc>
<LI =Msonormal style="COLOR: black">emotional disorders </LI>[/list]
<UL =disc>
<LI =Msonormal style="COLOR: black">epilepsy/seizures </LI>[/list]
That alone should give you enough reason to stay away from soda.
Instead drink purified water. For a little added flavor, add fresh orange or lemon slices…even raspberries. I like to give mine a splash of natural fruit juice.
For a change of pace, try iced tea or lemonade. If you like a little extra sweetness try stevia--a natural calorie-free sweetener that you can find in any health food store.

Lorihttp://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley31.gif

Jersey Girl
04-21-2008, 10:57 AM
Lori-
Thanks for the info. I am the worst when It comes to soda. I drink One a day which I guess could be worst. I find when I have soda later in the day, I get funky dreams.. Also, if I start drinking more than I get very bloated. I agree with the Tea being sweetened with Stevia( I love it).You canalsoget herbalteabags that are sweetened with stevia.

Cali_Star818
04-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Hey everybody, I'm kind of new here and love posting because it's fun. Well, I agree with you about the soda. Sure, it tastes great, but in regular sodas there is so much sugar it is disgusting to think about it. In diet soda, the artificial sweeteners will really get you in the long run and are no better for you. My family drinks so much of the stuff and after reading a few studies on the subject, I started weening myself off of it as quick as I could. The stuff turned into an addiction and sometime water just doesn't cut it. Well wish me luck. I'm down to 3 sodas a week.

angienewton
04-21-2008, 05:10 PM
Soda is horrible and I was a big soda drinker way back when. I would make people sick when I told them I drank AT LEAST 5 cans of various sodas every day. BUT I am proud to say that I did kick the awful soda habit for good back in May 2005. I still cannot believe it's been almost 3 years. Hubby is now even cracking down on his soda and I can almost bet that he will be off of it within a year or less (at least I hope sosmileys/smiley2.gif).

Lori Moreno
04-24-2008, 08:42 AM
A really great alternative is sparkling spring water combined with your favorite organic juice, without added sugar.

We mix our sparkling water with all kinds of yummy juices like cherry, peach, pomegranete...

The mix we make is 3/4 sparkling water and 1/4 juice.

It tastes GREAT!!

Great posts everyone!

To YOUR Health!!

Lorihttp://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley32.gif

tk54302
04-24-2008, 07:56 PM
I can't remember the last time I had a soda! I mean, I can't name anything good that's in it. How were we ever convinced that it is OK?

On another note, I get so frustrated when I buy foods and then when I get home I discover they have fake sugar in them! I know I need to be more careful BEFORE I put them in the cart, but they are so sneaky! It's really hard to find the word sucralose in small print!

cybilx10
02-25-2009, 09:47 AM
I used to drink on average 6-8 cans of Dr Pepper a day. Some more or less. It was a daily thing, I woke up with a can and I went o bed with a can. Now I have cut my pop back and drink more water, but I still need that taste so I limit myself to 2 cans a day. yes I cheat sometimes, but I do better than I used to. I drink alot of iced tea now but need to cut the sugar back even more so I am wondering what sugar substitute is the best for you. I have heard so many different stories.

nuwave06
02-25-2009, 12:17 PM
I've heard that cutting out soda from your diet can lead to 5 - 10 lbs weight loss alone within a year. Before my second child was born, I cut out soda (among many other things) and the theory seems to have worked. I recently "fell off the wagon" however and like to have a strong Pepsi or Coke from time to time. I never was one to drink more than one whole can or bottle a day though...

Audrey
02-25-2009, 12:51 PM
Pre children days I used to drink regular Coke, at least a few a days. Now, I drink a diet soda once a month or so. Quite a change.LOL

jeffathome
02-25-2009, 01:50 PM
This is so true. Soda is horrible. I used to drink 3-4 a day but now I just have one about every 6 or 7 days or so. I can't give it up completely. Something about the taste of a cold almost frozen Coke. Great! Now I want one. Anyway, I didn't lose any weight when I cut back but I did lose inches around my waste. Everything in moderation.

tk54302
02-25-2009, 03:57 PM
Losing inches around your waist is more important than losing pounds, according to many doctors.http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley20.gif

HarriedandHappy
02-26-2009, 06:32 AM
I am a hopeless Pepsi addict. I can give up the cans or the 2-liters, but for some reason I just can NOT give up the fountain Pepsi! We have a gas station on the corner and I swear they must put some kind of addictive drug in there! So at home I've switched to tea. All kinds of tea. Hot, iced, green, black and anything else that sounds good. I stopped buying and keeping soda at home, but a few times a week I will still treat myself to a fountain Pepsi. I guess cutting back like that is better than nothing, right?

cybilx10
02-26-2009, 08:43 AM
Fountain pop is addicting. I say the same thing about my Dr Pepper.

I havent seen any loss yet, whether it be inches or pounds. I need tostart exercising more to make it easier.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1