WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

Hope2BMom
03-30-2008, 03:41 PM
Hi All,

I am into card making and one friend who owns a store wanted to sell my cards.My confusion starts when she wanted me to make everyday cards for all occasions.

I owned some stamp designs and other design tools. I found some design templates/tools in stores that I really want to use like stamp designs, stencil designs, etc...

Questions:
1. Can I legally use these stencil designs, stamps, embossing designs tools, and other tools to help me easily create designs for my cards for commercial purposes?
2. Are the "Tools" found and sold at stores like the "Happy Birthday" stamp design, can be used to create cards for paying client?

I am really confused...I am not familiar with copyrights, patents or other laws about that.........I don't want to be sued for infringement of intellectual property or whatever they call it.

Hopefully my questions made sense and I got my point across...please shed some light on my confused mind. http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley5.gif

I am really excited for this business opportunity....and I want to start right.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jen-Jen

mpoulin
03-30-2008, 05:35 PM
Hi Jen-Jen,

I am sure you will get some better answers than I can give, but in my opinion, since I have had my own graphic design business, is that you need to contact the owners of the items/stencils, etc. and website links, etc. to see if you can use their designs. Some are pretty good with letting you use them and some want you to include their name, etc. Others you may have to pay for the use.

That is just about all I can suggest and hope you get some other answers and Good Luck!!
MEP

Hope2BMom
03-31-2008, 05:55 AM
Hi MEP,

Thank you so muchfor sharing thisinformation. I will do just that.

You are a great help! And more power to you. http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif

Jen-Jen

momstayshome
03-31-2008, 06:02 AM
No clue what kind of stamps you have -But have you heard of the Angel Policy?
I know like Companies Close to my Heart and Stampin Up -you need to get a stamp for that policy. You stamp it on the back of your cards.

If you use things like an electronic die cutting machine (such as a cricut) -They have those policies on their website.

I would check out websites too and see if there is internet selling policies.

Mary

momstayshome
03-31-2008, 06:04 AM
I would also google :Angel Company Policy -you can find more info about it.

Mary

momstayshome
03-31-2008, 06:08 AM
here is some more info too.....I am a member of the Creating Keepsake message board. A girl there had taken her time to contact companies asking about using their products to sell things.
Here is a link to it (if it says you need to be a member to see it, let me knowand I can copy & paste in PM to you).

http://www.creatingkeepsakes.com/mb/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39672&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=Ang el+policy

Hope2BMom
03-31-2008, 06:52 AM
Thank you Mary.
I have no idea what each company's policy is because I used most of my tools for personal purposes only until a friend wants to sell my cards. This would be my first time to use it for commercial purposes.

I will check on my stampsand the link you have given me later. Hubby be home for lunch and I need to cook! http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley4.gif

Mary, thank you so much for helping a newbie like me.

I am soooo grateful for you and for all the good hearted people in this forum.

Jen-Jen

craftydelisa
03-31-2008, 08:35 AM
You can find stamp companies with Angel Policies by running a google search for them. I used to buy from one called Blockheads. I'm a demonstrator for The Angel Company now so I use their stamps. They have a good angel policy too.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1