WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : elliptical or treadmill

uniquefemale
03-08-2008, 12:35 PM
elliptical (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=elliptic al+&spell=1)or treadmill which is better?

jenninsd
03-08-2008, 03:33 PM
I dont know which is better, both provide an awesome cardio workout.

Depends if you would rather walk/run, or do the elliptical movements.

You can go to your local gym, get a free "day pass" and try out both machines, see which you find to fit you better

angienewton
03-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Gosh, I don't know which is better, I like them bothsmileys/smiley2.gif

But here is a comparison (http://exercise.about.com/cs/exercisegear/a/treadelliptical.htm) from About.com. Maybe it will help with your decision.

SimplyJan
03-09-2008, 01:45 AM
If i was choosing a machine for home use I would choose an elliptical because it takes up less space, is quieter and has fewer mechanical parts to go wrong. An added benefit is, it's a lot easier on the joints.

If I was exercising at a gym - I'd use both on alternate sessions because the body can get too used to one exercise and it become less effective.

If you are using one machine at home you need to vary your program and also do a few different activities to ring the changes (walking, swimming etc)

Jan

Craftgrrl
03-09-2008, 07:00 PM
For me, I wish I could do the elliptical but it KILLS my knees. But my thighs feel so good when I did use it. http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gifBut I love the treadmill - it gives me different work outs, which I love. I can be on it for an hour and a half and I feel great - no problems with my hips or knees.

SimplyJan
03-10-2008, 01:31 AM
Hi Craftgrl

you maybe had the settings too high on your elliptical so you were straining too much before your muscles were strong enough. An elliptical is generally better for your joints because it is low impact - your feet are always in contact with the footpads.

Jan

murphyj
03-13-2008, 10:00 AM
I like the treadmill better because I find it easier to listen to my walkman (making the time go by faster,and not getting bored) I carry some weights in my hands and this seems to give me a good workout.

Jim Murphy

Kirsty
03-14-2008, 07:41 AM
I hate treadmills. I'd rather run outside in the fresh air anyway (but that's just personal). Ellipticals are better for the joints, as has been said, and you can go from cardio at speed on the lower resistance, up to serious resistance leg workout on the higher levels.
Edited by: Kirsty

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1