WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : First Deployment

lolah
03-06-2008, 08:24 AM
Hi everyone.My fiance will be deploying to Iraq for the first time next January 2009. I am really not looking forward to it. I am a former Military member, so I understand where he is coming from, but it doesn't make it any easier on me to be home without him.

suescott4eva
03-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Hi Lolah,

Having just gone through a deployment, I totally understand your feelings. My husband (fiance, too, at the time) was deployed to Iraq for 15 months....his seventh deployment, but my first, as he had deployed years ago as a Marine, prior to he and I meeting. So, it was the first taste of military life for me.

You will have your hard days and then your not so hard days, too. You will learn lots of valuable things about yourself, especially how strong you are as a woman---manning down the fort and all. I'm assuming you have little ones by your picture, and you will be amazed at the "Wonder Woman" you will become. http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif

You will realize inner strength you never thought possible, and it's quite empowering actually. I never imagined doing some of the things I did while Scott was deployed, as he does SO MUCH around here, but you learn to persevere. Like I said, Wonder Woman!! http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif

If you ever need a shoulder or a friend, I am always here. We have heard a few rumors recently about Scott's unit possible re-deploying, too, but so far just rumor.

Always remember, you can do this!Edited by: suescott4eva

Craftgrrl
03-19-2008, 06:56 AM
I am not a military spouse yet - long story, I'm posting a message about that - but I am so sorry to hear that. http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley19.gifI wish we could do and say something that would make it all better. I believe you can do this too. If your brave fiance is out there for all of us, I KNOW you can be brave ang strong for him, too. All the military spouses here are truly amazing!

tlai
03-19-2008, 03:38 PM
My husband is deploying in May to Iraq for 6 months...I understand how u feel I am not looking forward to thathttp://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley6.gif

Bella_Rose
04-03-2008, 08:22 PM
I just went through my 4th deployment with my dh this past December. Our 5th was born and he missed it. I stayed busy with the kids, planned the halloween party for the ships children, subbed for my church religious ed, homeschooled the kids, took them to their meetings, and classes.
Best advice is to stay busy, get involved with volunteering or a girls night out, once a week. It'll give you something to look forward to. I also counted down, not by days, until he came home, but celebrations. Our anniversary, the kids birthdays, holidays. Every new celbration, was a new countdown. It was easier that way.

Mary Ann Metz
04-17-2008, 10:11 AM
I agree with all the strong ladies that posted before me. My DH did a tour in Iraq in 2004 - he was 50 years old and just retired this past February. When he deployed it was the first time in my entire life that I had lived all by myself.

Stay busy - get involved with the Family Support Group. The thing that helped me the most was taking care of the other wives. It helps to not focus inward.

Start a new hobby, redecorate the bedroom or living room, take a class in something, journal, etc.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

27WhiteRoses
04-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Hi. Deployments are long and hard. But I agree very much with the ladies who posted before me. Stay busy and concentrate on the other things that bring joy to you. My husand has done a year tour in Korea and six months after he got back was sent to Iraq for 15 months. We are just less than 100 days till he is coming home. What has been getting me through is spending time with my son and my fellow Army Wives. There in strength in the knowledge that they understand my feelings and concerns withouth a word being said. We have our fun moments and our moments where we are needed to be there for each other. Another thing that has helped me during this deployment is my church. They have been such a blessing to us. So hang in there. Try not to think too much about the coming day when he will leave. Think about the now and being with each other.

God Bless Our Soldiers!