WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Joining a gym

maryc
03-03-2008, 04:09 PM
Hi everyone. I would like to know how many of you have joined a gym?

I stopped to day to check out one of the gyms in my town, and they were nice but I am not sure if it is for me.

what did you do to make the choice to join?

Craftgrrl
03-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Hi Mary,
I did join a gym - a friend of mine told me about a special on Discovery Health. They had a deal with Bally for 8 free weeks. I went and liked the facilities and joined. I can go to any Bally when I want. Monday-Thursday they are open until midnight, which works for me. The classes are extra, though, like spinning and tae-bo and zumba. I go to the gym everyday and am on the treadmill for over an hour a day plus I do strength training. I have lost 44 pounds and many inches and gained muscle. I have about 25-30 more pounds to go but I look pretty darn good so far! My waxing lady told me I look like a whole new person (she hadn't seen me since before I started this) and my daughter's friends last night told me I look beyond fantastic. (I love her friends, haha!!) I did laundry yesterday with the kids and gave away my fat clothes. I grabbed a pair of jeans that I thought were my goddaughter's and realized they were MINE! I showed my daughter and said, "These FIT me!" I was so astonished, I almost cried. For me, the gym has saved my life and has opened up a brand new social life. I am so happy, more than I have been ina long time!

chrlstoncharmed
03-03-2008, 06:42 PM
Our school district just built a new gym at the high school and anyone who lives in the district can join for $10/year. Can't beat that!! Edited by: chrlstoncharmed

missym75
03-03-2008, 07:15 PM
If you want to know honestly.. I joined and it started becoming a pain in the *** for many reasons!! However I have a treadmill and weights at home.. I only joined just to get motivated and now I find myself much rather working out at home. So I am not going to the gym that much anymore but I am still working out everyday :) If you want to try it for a month, go ahead.. see what they have to offer.

oregongal
03-04-2008, 04:24 PM
You might take a tour and see if it interests you. Ask yourself what type of exercise you like or could see yourself sticking with. If you like walking it may not be the place for you. If you like to do a variety of things then you can definitely get variety at the gym. Most gyms have programs where you can hire a trainer to set up a workout program for you to fit your needs and goals- and then a schedule to work with that trainer. It costs extra, of course.

I tried quite a few different exercise routines until I started water aerobics, which I really LOVE! I don't even feel like I'm sweating. If I want quicker results I can go on the floor add some machines or free weights after class.

If your local gym offers a trial period, you might want to try it out and make sure you like it first. Better yet, go with a friend. Not only more fun, but it makes it easier to stick with it!
Good Luck

sborg
03-04-2008, 07:44 PM
I happen to like my local park district gym, because early in the morning there are not many people there, and they are average people, not the bodybuilder types that frequent many gyms. I especially like the aerobic equipment--for many years I went on the cheap with a $25 nordic track machine I picked up at a garage sale, but I am now happy to use much better equipment.

IBringTheSpa2U
03-04-2008, 08:45 PM
I love belonging to a gym. When I first got into a regular workout routine (14 years ago, when I was in grad school), I always did the group exercise classes. I really liked the atmosphere of the classes,and they definitely pushed me to more than I would on my own. (a personal trainer appeals to me for much the same reason, but too expensive!!!) I also liked the social aspect of taking the group classes.

Nowadays I do some group classes (mainly Spinning), but on other days I want cardio I use the machines. I still like the gym atmosphere. I guess it motivates me to see others working out. And I like having a wide variety of machines to choose from, so that I can have a different workout every day.

I'd love to have a treadmill or an elliptical at home for convenience, but I think I'd get bored. I really applaud all of you that work out at home, with machines, DVD's or anything else. I've never been able to do that.

simplesahm
03-04-2008, 09:31 PM
I just joined a gym today! =)

I could certainly work out at home (take the dog for a run, etc...) but for me, the "getting out of the house part" is nice along with the "seeing grownups" part. =)

Plus, my gym will watch both of my preschoolers (ages 4 & 3) for $3.00 for two hours. I never work out that long - but boy is it tempting to sit in the locker room and grab a quick nap.

My gym is Fitness 19. Highly recommended if you have one near you! Really reasonable...and great equipment!

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1