WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : What works for you?

mrowe
02-20-2008, 03:36 PM
Can anyone tell me what works for them as far as a diet to be on? Do you find counting calories works, changing what you eat? More exercise...how do the pounds melt for you? Anyone take diet pills?

Vacations By Monique-helping you fulfill your travel dreams:
http://www.vacationsbymonique.net (http://www.vacationsbymonique.net/)

BookCloseouts.com offers 5 million NEW books at blowout prices,
http://www.bookcloseouts.com?N=0&rid=gme123 (http://www.bookcloseouts.com/?N=0&rid=gme123)

IBringTheSpa2U
02-20-2008, 05:00 PM
Weight Watchers works for me. Going to meetings every week and following the plan, plus writing down everything I eat does the trick. I am also exercising regularly now, but WW has worked even when I was doing much exercise. I lose my weight fairly slow, about 1 pound/week on average, but it stays off.

As far as the exercise, I get to eat more on the WW plan when I exercise, and I do tend to eat more, so I don't necessarily think it's helping me lose weight too much faster, but I do get to indulge in treats a little more often and it's definitely helping as far as toning my body.

elfinsnow
02-20-2008, 06:56 PM
What works for me is a balanced diet and exercise. And LOTS of water.
Terry

OrangeSmoke20
02-20-2008, 10:06 PM
Balanced diet and watching my fat intake as well as calories works for me...plus lots of exercise (and water too).
I got some really great recipes off of www.fitnessmagazine.com (http://www.fitnessmagazine.com) So many of them I signed up for a 2 year subscription!
Bestof luck to you :)

SimplyJan
02-21-2008, 06:51 AM
I honestly think that any plan will work of the thousands out there if you have the motivation to stick with it.

That means it's important to choose a system which appeals to you and which you could live with long term (for the rest of your life) if you had to.

Some of the food in weight loss plans is just plain weird, some of the exercises only good if you are fit and toned already etc. Vet everything on how much you will enjoy doing it and how easy it will be to fit into your life.
I quite like the suggestions offered already - Weight Watchers because it offers a fair bit of flexibility and they are used to dealing with real people in the real world and the answers where people made up their own plan to fit their lives (eating less, moving more) because they will find that easier to stick to than some rigid plan.

Jan

happymommy
02-21-2008, 08:08 AM
A low-glycemic, high protein diet balanced with complex carbs (whole grains, fruits & veggies), exercise and LOTS of water works best for me. I believe in counting portions vs calories. I also eat 5-6 small meals a day vs 3 large ones.

Hope this helps! You'll find lots of support here, which is also very important. :)

Jenn

SpaJunke
02-24-2008, 01:02 PM
I too am going to have to jump on the Weight Watcher's bandwagon. I just had my first weigh in Saturday and lost 2 lbs! It doesn't sound like much, but it's a start. I like having to journal everything I eat, sure it can be a pain at times, but it definitely makes you accountable for your actions. It's easy to look back and see what worked or didn't work for you. One of the first things I did was look up how many points my favorite meal at Chipolte was, when I realized it was 3 points more than I was allowed for the whole day, I gagged! I have really began to realize just how much I over eat! I also like weighing in at my weekly meeting,I am more likely to stay on track all week knowing that I don't want Suzie @ WW telling me I gained this week!I can easily kick my scale under the couch if I don't like what it says, but I think I'd feel really guilty if I kicked Suzie!

malea
02-25-2008, 12:01 PM
I have lost 10 lbs on WW in 1 month..and I am not even "officially" signed up...just did research online ..but I do suggest signing up if you can..I don't need to loose a lot of weight so I choose to do it this way.

chrlstoncharmed
02-25-2008, 02:36 PM
I cringe whenever I hear people say they lost weight "with no exercise". People, our bodies need excercise! Not just for weight loss, but to keep cardiovascularly fit, mentally sharp, increase energy, and increase bone density. Exercise plays an important role in the balance of all our bodies systems.

tparbs
02-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Hmm....where'd my post go?

I'm not saying that not exercising is good. I know it's important. I was simply saying I hadn't exercised.

jnmurra
02-25-2008, 03:42 PM
Hmm....where'd my post go?

Please see this thread: http://www.wahm.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=530840

Thanks! http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif

tparbs
02-25-2008, 04:22 PM
Oops...sorry!! http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley9.gif

tk54302
02-25-2008, 05:02 PM
Lots of lean protein throughout the day, increased veggies, fewer refined carbs and fruits, more whole grains, lots of water and tea.

marleymauve
02-25-2008, 05:52 PM
I've done the sacred heart diet successfully as well as the special K diet to lose 5lbs in a week or two. I've written articles about them both if anyone's interested for:

http://sacredheartsoup.com
and
http://cerealdieter.com

I also like to count my calories which I find helps me make better choices. There's a free calorie counter at fitday.com that you can use and even put in your exercises to see how many calories you've burned plus it helps you see if you're getting enough vitamins and nutrients by telling you how much you're getting based on the foods you log every day. I highly recommend it no matter what type of diet or exercise regimen you're trying to follow.

I am in the midst of trying to work off some winter weight myself so am working right now while sitting on a stability ball at my desk and rocking and doing core tightening exercises.Every little bit helps :)

Cheers,
Dana

Craftgrrl
02-26-2008, 07:53 AM
For me it was to find the motivation to FINALLY keep me going and once I did that, I made sure I did it EVERY day for for the first three weeks, in order to make it a habit.

Then it was seriously to do what I've heard ALL my life and never did. So when I decided to do the diet and exercise thing, it was the ONLY thing that's worked, haha! So I work out a lot! I make sure I fit it into my schedule somehow. Like last night, I ended up at the gym after 10 pm, but then the workout was really good. I do portion control, and now have learned I should incorporate things like whole grains (which can help reduce belly fat) and cut out diet drinks (still working on this one!) and exercising more than you consume as well as incorporating strength training. Oh, and DON'T pay attention to the scale.

Allof these have helped me - so far I have lost 42 pounds and many inches. I bought a pair of jeans 5 sizes smaller than what I started out and have only 3 sizes left to go. So I think what I've been doing can be be classified as working, haha!

blessed4Success
02-26-2008, 08:12 PM
I think what really work is first personal development and addressing why there is a weight problem to begin with. Facing your flaws and getting on with it. Inward first, then the other stuff. I feel that if you do not do that no diet, no program, no product in the world will work in the long haul.

But, I could be wrong, it happens from to time...smileys/smiley3.gif

Edited by: blessed4Success

tk54302
02-26-2008, 08:48 PM
I agree that in order to maintain success, your motivation must come from within, not be external. For example, to have more energy for your children, or to stay healthy and not get the family diabetes, etc.

Wanting to fit in the little black dress works for a while, but not long term.

blessed4Success
02-26-2008, 08:57 PM
And coming to terms with why one is overweight to begin with can be hard. I hear folks say, 'I do not eat that much' and they weigh over 200lbs- I am sorry that just cannot be true. If your fat then you eat too much of the wrong things and move to little We have to face that we have poor habits and behaviors and address them rather than trying to put a bandiad on then that may work initially but will not over the long haul. If your fat, you have made yourself that way, basic science says that.

And, yes I agree that some point it has be a choice to change your lifestyle rather than to diet ; to do it for health and an example for your children. Besides whatever your eating that made you unhealthy your most likely feeding your kids too! UGG.

Anyone ever watch the BBC show You are what you Eat? Yikes talk about in your face! It is a great show with Brit Wit.smileys/smiley2.gif

tk54302
02-26-2008, 09:10 PM
I have a friend who "didn't eat much" but it was all nutrient-less food. Once she learned to eat more, and eat healthy food, she lost weight. There is something called the famine response, where if you don't eat much, your body hangs on to fat.

starbirdy66
02-26-2008, 09:34 PM
I've done WW and also the McDougal plan(mostly vegetarian).

They both worked well. Of course that was before my last too pregnancies. LOL.

blessed4Success
02-26-2008, 09:35 PM
Eating the wrong things, and yes I know about the famine response. I really do not buy it. I think , some people THINK they do not eat alot, but they have become so jaded portion wise . And one doughnut is not much, however the fat and calories are insane not to mention if you not eat much of hollow calorie foods then you possible do not have the energy to burn it off either.

If your fat then you have put in more then you have expended it is math (aside from very rare glandular issues determined by blood tests). The famine theory actually refers to years of eating poorly and overloading that when you go into diet mode your body thinks its starving so it saves the stores, But that mechanism of itself is caused by years of overeating then suddenly cutting back, your body thinks 'hey what is this I am not getting 1/2 the food I have been for years it must be a famine' and your body then goes into the famine response, but as I said that it's self is caused by years of over doing to the point that when you decide to cut back your body basically is confused. And that goes to show how much one must have been over loading for that to happen. If being overweight was CAUSED by eating to little from the get go then all the starving children in Darfur would be obese. Famine response refers the body mechanism of shutting down once the food supply has been cut. And if your very obese, this response can be very difficult to balance. But, actually it is caused by years of overeating and making the body think it needs 3800 calories a day so that when you cut down to even that of 1200-2000 the body shuts down and saves what does consume along with what it already has. It is very frustrating actually.

Was your friend able to reset her body very quickly, that must have been frustrating for her and very discouraging! I hope has past the hurtle.

Edited by: blessed4Success

blessed4Success
02-26-2008, 09:57 PM
I've done WW and also the McDougal plan(mostly vegetarian).

They both worked well. Of course that was before my last too pregnancies. LOL.

I think the WW Core is a really great program very well balanced and back to whole foods. Not sure what McDougal is, but if it alot of raw foods that is good!!!

Congrats on the baby! Just crawl around after when she gets to moving. About 10 years ago there was an excersize plan where you got on the floor with your baby and did what they did; lifts legs, wave arms , push up on all fours, the claimed in burned alot of calories!!! And was great bonding! HAHAHAsmileys/smiley36.gif

jenninsd
03-01-2008, 11:10 PM
doing it my own way works best for me. Ive tried most of the fad diets, as well as weight watchers and jenny craig. I think it really depends on the individual, different things work for different people.

I have found that too much structure makes me feel like I am being told what NOT to do, and I didnt like that. Of course I cant just eat whatever I want, and lose weight. But I have created my own style to dieting.

I basically cut back on calories, in a sense. I eat all the fruits/vegetables I want. I eat only low-fat/fat-free dairy products, nothing full fat. I only allow myself red meat a few times a week, and try my best to avoid anything fried. I only keep extra virgin olive oil in the house for frying, and when I eat out I Try to stick to things that are grilled.

Exercise wise, I just started Turbo Jam and love it! I also walk for 30 minutes during lunch, which keeps me from getting the 3 pm munchies.

scolly
03-02-2008, 12:22 PM
I always have great success with 2 days low carb and then one carb day.
This way my body will not adapt.
After 4 weeks I do 3 low carb days followed by one carb day.

braydensmom98
03-04-2008, 09:31 AM
Green Smoothies and Green Juice work for me. Nothing else has ever worked so well. Gets rid of my cravings and my body is slowly moving toward my perfect weight.

murphyj
03-13-2008, 11:30 AM
I started walking every day, I try to go 2 miles and I drink a healthy coffee and tea that is now available and of course watch what I eat,so far I have lost 32 pounds, that took 4 months to do,but I'm keeping the weight off
and feeling better than before,I also sleep better at night, just tell yourself to do it,and hope yourself listens to you. Have a nice day.

Jim

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1