WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

nikip
02-13-2008, 12:14 PM
Hi,

I am thinking about doing weight watchers I did it a long time ago but it got truly confusing with the points. Does anyone have any advice I have highblood pressure and need to keep up with my fat would weight watchers help with that I was wondering what is the big difference with weight watchers if you just count calories or fat. Because it seems you have to count points. I really need to do something but don't know where to start. I seem to have a hard time counting points forever thing. For example if you eat a combination meal how would you keep up with the points wouldn't that get time consumeing. I have small children

cindi8d
02-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Are you planning to join WW ot just do it on your own? If you have the money and time, I would recommend joining...then they can really help customize a plan for you.

cindi

nikip
02-13-2008, 12:46 PM
I would like to try to join if they are reasonable

IBringTheSpa2U
02-13-2008, 05:12 PM
I highly recommend Weight Watchers. If you don't like counting points, they have another plan you can follow where you don't keep track of your points. You can switch back and forth between the points and the no counting from week to week. If you have a condition such as high blood pressure or anything else, they can work around any special diet needs you have. As far as keeping up with fat intake, points are calculated based on calories, fat and fiber in a food, so the points do indirectly take fat into account. And if you have certain restrictions, you can still stay within your points and keep your fat intake at whatever level is necessary for you.

For me, WW works really well. The weight comes off slowly (for me, about 1 - 1.5 pounds/week) but it STAYS off. Once you get to your goal weight, they have a maintenance program to ensure you stay at your goal.

Good luck!!

Craftgrrl
02-13-2008, 05:19 PM
With Weight Watchers you do count points and after a while it gets easier - you'll know a banana is 2 points, 3/4 c. cereal is 3 (for example), etc. They also have books that show points for eating out for MANY different places. And yes, I do think they could help with your high blood pressure. It is time consuming at first, but after a while, you will get the hang of it and it won't be so bad. They also give you tips at the meetings like when you go shopping (you can also do this like at night when the kids are in bed) - take a Sharpie and your points finder and mark your food items with the points. Like on a loaf of bread or a Lean Cuisine, I would figure out the points and right next to the nutrition facts I write the points per serving. That makes it a little easier.

I used to do Weight Watchers but now I exercise like mad and have 4 small meals a day and make sure each meal is 300-400 calories each. That just seems easier to me and I have lost 32 pounds so far.

Good luck to you - and I hope Weight Watchers works for you!!!

PS----there is a way to find out the points system online without joining WW. Just go to Google and it can help you with the formula. That way is more time consuming, but it's free. Also, there is a formula they use to figure out how many points you should have a day. For me, I was 44 and fairly active and my weight was 242 and I was allowed to have 28 points. They also let you have 35 extra points a week, which you don't have to use. But you do HAVE to use your daily points and make sure you get one serving of fat, like olive oil. Also, after three weeks, for every 30 min of vigorous exercise (I believe) you can get another point. I think that's all I can remember - I hope it helps!!!

nikip
02-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Craftgirl I like your ideal 300 to 400 cals a day. Do you add everything up with a calorie counter or just write it in a note book. I just need something easier to do that I can keep up with.

malea
02-13-2008, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the Google idea.I am trying weight watchers on my own with the help of my mom who is a member...but it will be nice to figure out points for foods online without having to call her.I might join myself .I'll just see how it goes

deadra
02-14-2008, 07:57 AM
You can also go to: www.dwlz.com (http://www.dwlz.com) and find tons of information!!! Great site!

Craftgrrl
02-14-2008, 09:26 PM
Hi Niki,
When I do the 300-400 calorie meals, I do write it down but after a while, you just get the idea of approximately what you're consuming. Sometimes it's a Lean Cuisine and piece of fruit or maybe just a small cheeseburger from McDonald's or a turkey sandwich with lettuce and tomato. Also, when I'm really lazy, I just portion out 1/3 of what I used to eat, for like dinner. For me if it's 1/3 of a portion of regular food combined with fruit or something, it's better than eating a huge portion of something diet - haha!

Hope that helps - and honestly, it's just easier for me to do it this way plus the trainer at the gym said 4 small meals is much better, to keep my metabolism going. And at my age, I need all the help I can get! http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1