WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Color Me Beautiful

PinkPea
02-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Has anyone heard of this?

Are there any consultants here who have done this?

Success or just another mlm?

check this out: www.colormebeautiful.com

All opinions welcome (no inventory required)

pink13crystals
02-06-2008, 05:36 AM
I'm familiar with the system as I've had it used on me; and of course, I was misdiagnosed!!smileys/smiley36.gif

If it looks like a (pyramid) duck and quacks like a (pyramid) duck.......

Personally I think it's a bunch of hooey. Most women just know what colors look good on them. If you know how to coordinate your own clothing -- pick out colors that "go with" each other, then one shouldn't have any problem choosing color cosmetics that coordinate. Same goes with home decorating.

Sometimes I think we make our lives more complicated than they ought to be.

PrincessGG
02-06-2008, 07:38 AM
DBlack's mom is a consultant. This looks like a pretty good group of cosmetics especially for women of color.

Take a good look at Jafra, Merle Norman and Beauticontrol. Both Jafra and Merle Norman (along with a lot of others) have come out with what looks like identical sized foundation primer. Merle Norman's is $30+ and Jafra is $15. Also check out Jafra's rentinol capsules and compare to Beauticontrol. If there's not identical twins, there are pretty close.

A lot of the ds cosmetic buy their cosmetics from manufacturers. A LOT of these makeup items are identical. Often a label wil say: distb. by:
sometimes that means they buy and distribute items vs. manufacturing them.

So I don't think colormebeautiful is any different than any other cosmetic ds. I don't know the how each company represented therein obtains it's products, but not every cosmetic company has huge manufacturing factories. And a LOT of what we now use on our face is manufacuted elsewhere.

Understand I am no expert, but I have read a few articles of Global Cosmetic Industry. I am speaking of direct sales groups, not Estee Lauder and drug store potions. I do know that MK & BC manufacture many of their skin care products, but those eyeliner pencils are often made in small European countires. In fact, the BC eyebrow pencil is made in the Czech REpublic.

With regard to color season, BC used that back in the 80s & 90s to grow their company. It's been around for a long time,but it's fun. How accurate it is depends on the person using it. Some women are really hard to do. Autum and winter are easy.

SLAHStyle
02-06-2008, 09:25 AM
Pliease feel free to contact me.I will say the Color Me Beautiful is the expert color analysis company. BeautiControl used ("stole" )the idea to be able to offer something at their homeshows that Mary Kay consultants weren't doing.
Color Me Beautiful used to sell their cosmetics in JC Penneys (where I was a beauty advisor for them) When JCP decided to remove their cosmetics department CMB opened up a DS division to be able to service existing clients. They also have Kiosks available for those who want a retail store and you can sell these products in salons, gifts stores and boutiques. An independent consultant can sign up any of the 3 as their downline. There is huge potential in this company.

SLAHStyle
02-06-2008, 09:37 AM
I'm familiar with the system as I've had it used on me; and of course, I was misdiagnosed!!smileys/smiley36.gif

If it looks like a (pyramid) duck and quacks like a (pyramid) duck.......

Personally I think it's a bunch of hooey. Most women just know what colors look good on them. If you know how to coordinate your own clothing -- pick out colors that "go with" each other, then one shouldn't have any problem choosing color cosmetics that coordinate. Same goes with home decorating.

Sometimes I think we make our lives more complicated than they ought to be.

I have to disagree. One might know what colors they like to wear but not necessarilywhat looks best on them. It is the particular shade that is important. For example: there are many shades of Red, which one you wear is based on your skin tone, eye color and hair color.

Also, it is very out dated to match make up to clothing. A truly great look with make up is again based on your skin tone, eye and hair color not what color you shirt is.

It is not complicated at all when someoneshows you the correct colors and explains it correctly to you.

Sorry Mary Kay girls, this thread has nothing to do withyour company,which is why we need a general cosmetics folder on the forum. I apologize.

pink13crystals
02-06-2008, 11:40 AM
I have been told by several CMB people that I am a winter. I look and feel at my optimum in summer colors.

I get compliments galore from both men and women when I wear baby pink -- my very best color!

I chose my own colors, both for clothing and makeup, long before I ever heard of MK. (Never even heard of MK until 1994, and I almost rue the day I did.)

Have never been complimented on MK makeup colors but received high fives when I stuck to my own palletes from drug stores in my choice of summer colors for this "winter."

Edited by: pink13crystals

SLAHStyle
02-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Summers and Winters are both cool palettes and actually some Winters look really nice in pastel pink. What color are your eyes and your hair? Have you changed your hair color since you were analized? If you went toa lighter shade, then you would definitely look better in softer cool tones. But again, some dark haired winters look great in pastel pink!

Also, the palettes have expanded since the 80's. It is not just Winter, Summer Spring and Autumn because there are several variations of each season. Example: Deep Winter, Clear Winter and Cool Winter (cool winter is the most traditional Winter.) Anyway, at least you are in the right tones being cool and not warm.

pink13crystals
02-06-2008, 02:28 PM
I do understand summer being the younger sister of winter or however you want to word it.smileys/smiley17.gif

I have dark brown hair, very dark brown eyes, very light rosy skin (even though I have 50% Mediterranean bloodlines in me).

My MK recruiter actually tried to convince me to wear olive green eye and goldtone eye shadows. I told her that those are the colors I turn when I bruise -- not the usual black/blue -- so I sure as heck will not wear that particular shade of green around my eyes, with golden yellow accents. Also said my clothing should come from the brown/orange/yellow groupings. Yucko!! Not for me!

But emerald green, rich purple, sapphire blue --- now we're talking (as far as eye shadows and eye liners)!! And lipsticks, of course come purely from the winter mixes of berries and fuschias (blue-toned pinks and reds).

SLAHStyle
02-06-2008, 03:40 PM
http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gifYes, unfortunately those who have not been trained in color analysis sometimes mistake your rosy tones for warm! (how, I don't know but they do!) I'm curious, did you have blonde hair as a baby? One of my sons was a towhead as a baby with dark brown(almost black) eyes and very light skin. His hair is medium ash brown now, he is a cool summer which is really close to Winter.

Even though the subjectstarted asa different company, I hope everyone is enjoying this thread, it is very educational for color! And like I said, not trying step on toes or anything. I used a lot of what I know when I sold Mary Kay. I had a lot of color cosmetic customers and make over referrals!Edited by: Dbacksmom

PrincessGG
02-06-2008, 04:17 PM
Hey, this question was asked on a MK thread, where else are you going to answer it? I am enjoying it too.

pink13crystals
02-06-2008, 04:59 PM
I'm curious, did you have blonde hair as a baby?

Yes, yes!! I have pictures of myself as a little girl with hair so blonde, it's almost white! My mom said that people used to ask her all the time if she bleached my hair. (but she didn't)

My youngest son was also a towhead as a young baby and through grade school. He's now a medium ash blonde --- and those olive greens and yellows would fit him to a tee!

How in the world do people confuse a rosy complexion for warm undertones? Doesn't make sense, does it?smileys/smiley2.gif

SLAHStyle
02-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Hey, this question was asked on a MK thread, where else are you going to answer it? I am enjoying it too.

Well, since we don't really have a skin care/cosmetics folder, I am not really sure where this thread should be except maybe in the party plan folder.http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley5.gif Anyway, it has been a great thread, thanks Pink Pea for starting it! http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley32.gif

SLAHStyle
02-06-2008, 05:27 PM
Pink13Crystals- I knew it, Iwould have bet my house that you were a towhead as a child! http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif

PinkPea
02-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Ok, Dbacksmom, we're counting on you to give us the scoop.

Please share with us your experiences as a Senior Beauty Advisor.

If I signed on as a consultant, what would I get for $99?

How do you show the products? In home parties? One on one facials? Trunk shows? Boutiques? Kinda like MK?

Is there local training?

Can I purchase a company web site? If so, how much per year?

I appreciate your insights (and I am sure many others here do too). Thanks for sharing - feel free to send me a PM if you would like.

Loving thoughts to all,

Pink Peasmileys/smiley1.gif

PinkPea
02-06-2008, 08:36 PM
P.S. The Kiosk idea looks intriguing - tell us about that too. How much?

SLAHStyle
02-06-2008, 08:53 PM
I will send you a pm since this is a MK forum. I'll be happy to share!

pepper354
02-14-2008, 12:47 PM
How long has Color Me Beautiful been around? I haven't heard of the company until recently.

Jolly
02-14-2008, 01:55 PM
I miss the Donna Mills Eye colors form the good old days of "Dynasty" .
Now that WAS color!http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley4.gif

27 Dresses
02-14-2008, 04:05 PM
I had heard of Color Me Beautiful but didn't know they had cosmetics. I thought it was just the the color draping/categorizing and you could buy the swatch book to take shopping with you.

Interesting.

SLAHStyle
02-14-2008, 10:08 PM
Color Me Beautiful has was the first cosmetic company to offer seasonalized cosmetics and started in 1987 after the Color Me Beautiful Book was published in 1984. It was was #1 on the bestsellers list for several years! Their lines were carried and sold in JC Penney stores across the USA. The direct sales division started in 2000 after JC Penney eliminated their cosmetic departments so that consultants could continue to offer these products to their customers. CMB acquired Flori Roberts, Iman, Adrien Arpel and Gale Haymon in the late nineties early 2000.

The products can be sold in salons, specialty retail boutiques, Mall Kiosks and by Independent consultants. Independent consultants can sponsor any of the three types of business owners. The cost to start up as an independent retailer or independent consultant is $99. Kioks are more like getting started in a retail franchise with corporate training, yet still under $10K.

Color Me Beautiful is THE color analysis company. The other company that did color analysis "borrowed the idea" from CMB so that theycould offer something Mary Kay didn't at their home parties in the eighties. They are now doing the Spa ESCAPE. http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif

We still do color analysis and I was certified as a color analysis consultant in 1996 when I was a CMB Beauty Advisor at JC Penney. We also have beautiful color products that are upscale and up to date as well as state of the art skin care products. Iman and Flori Roberts products are tailored especially for women of color, both fabulous lines as well!

If anyone would like more info about our business feel free to contact me!

pink13crystals
02-15-2008, 05:10 AM
I thought Home Shopping Network bought out the Adrien Arpel line??

SLAHStyle
02-15-2008, 09:08 AM
No, Adrien Arpel is owned by Color Me Beautiful.

pepper354
02-18-2008, 08:36 AM
By the way BeautiControl was founded in 1981, just a tidbit of information for you. http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif

PrincessGG
02-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Actually "1981, Mr. Heath announced that he wanted to buy a defunct cosmetics business for its equipment and leftover products". BC was established many years prior to that time, in fact it was started by two MK consultants that left MK Ash in the early years. It didn't do too good, and some men bought it out, then **** took it over. It was only after Ginger Heath, ****'s wife, got on board and began the color swatch thing that BC really took off, in fact it was more successful than MK (when MK was a public co) for awhile. Consultant orders (not sales, let's be realistic) began to decline, and they sold it in 2003, and now Tupperware owns it.

PrincessGG
02-18-2008, 09:08 AM
PS Adrian Arpel used to be in dept stores at one time. I love cosmetics history! Adrian Arpel is top notch stuff.

27 Dresses
02-18-2008, 10:21 AM
Beauty Control was started by former Mary Kay consultants? Oy! The things we learn on a message board.

spasbymindy
02-18-2008, 11:12 AM
BeautiControl was not started by any former MK consultants, TheHeaths were the founders. This was told to me by the President of BCKristi Hubbard. Tupperware purchased BC in late 2000 not 2003. http:/www.secinfo.com/dsuRs.557c.d.htmThis talks about the purchase of BC by Tupperware.

PrincessGG
02-18-2008, 12:09 PM
Yes, it was 2000 not 2003. I took that from a texas newspaper...they should get the dates straight.

PrincessGG
02-18-2008, 12:51 PM
My source is Texas Monthly Magazine article “hostile makeover” written in 1995. The movie “hell on heels” was based on this article.
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
As some of you may recall from MK’s autobiography, she started her company by purchasing a COPY of skin care forumla’s based on a deer hide tanner’s products that his daughter sold out of her home. This man’s name was JW Heath (no relation to **** and Ginger) and he called his products Beauticontrol. (!!!)

Two years later,Beauty by Mary Kay was doing well, but one of her first directors, Jackie Brown said MK had reniged on a promise to make her a NSD. She got mad, so she and Marjie Slaten, another Mary Kay director, bought in with the grandaugther of JW Heath (both he and his daughter had died) as joint owners of Beauticontrol.Slaten and Brown took some of MK’s consultants over with them to BC. With what they had learned from MK, these two ladies built the company up big enough where MK felt it was a threat to her. In 1966 MK sued Beauticontrol, (saying they were trying to run her out of business) and it was settled in 1969.

Ms. Slaten did not have the resources to fight MK, soa few years later the two original MK ladies sold BeautiControl to a <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="&#111;n"><st1:place w:st="&#111;n">New Jersey</st1:place></st1:State> direct-sales company called Tri-Chem. **** Health who worked for Tri-chem, was fired from them, and decided to buy BC himself. He eventually obtained sole ownership and took BC public in 1986.

PrincessGG
02-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Hostile makeover: in Dallas the frenetically fashionable Jinger Heath is locked in a beauty war with the venerable queen of cosmetics, Mary Kay Ash.(Cover Story)(Company Profile).
<DIV ="doc">Author(s):Skip Hollandsworth.
<DIV ="doc">Source: Texas Monthly (magazine) (http://0-find.galegroup.com.vulcan.bham.lib.al.us/itx/publicati&#111;nSearch.do?queryType=PH&amp;inPS=true&amp;type=g etIssues&amp;prodId=GRGM&amp;currentPositi&#111;n=0&amp;userGroupNa me=avl_jclc&amp;searchTerm=Texas+M&#111;nthly&amp;index=JX&amp;tabI D=T003&amp;c&#111;ntentSet=IAC-&#068;ocuments)23.n11(Nov 1995):pp128(14).(8182words)
<DIV ="doc">Edited by: PrincessGG

LuvEmMakeupMlms
02-18-2008, 02:24 PM
Now I can see why Mary Kay always hated Beauticontrol.

I doubt if Kristi read that article, she wasn't involved in BC back then.

Princess GG knows her stuff.

SLAHStyle
02-19-2008, 01:01 PM
PS Adrian Arpel used to be in dept stores at one time. I love cosmetics history! Adrian Arpel is top notch stuff.

I've been away from the boards because I have been moving so I thought I'd pop in for a minumte!

Yes, PrincessGGyou are correct on both accounts! Iman, Flori Roberts and Color Me Beautiful were all sold instores as well. These are all top notch brands of cosmetics and skin care, that is why it is so much fun to sell! http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif

In the movie you mentioned. the woman who plays Jinger Heath references to "another cosmetic company" when she is trying to introduce the color analysis/swatch thing to the others. She is referring to Color Me Beautiful! http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley32.gif

Ok, back to moving. Be back in a few days!