WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Hawaii

happiestgirl74
01-02-2008, 10:16 PM
We are due to transfer to Oahu in a month and just wondering if anyone has been there before <?> I kind of know what to expect - warm weather, expensive stuff & rent but any other helpful info would be cool!

ngfhorn
01-05-2008, 01:27 AM
You will love it! Weather is a bit cooler than normal right now- rainy season instead of winter. Rent is high but military families do receive BAH which makes it tolerable. Try to live on base if you can- we lived off base for a year and made enough money to live but couldn't afford to do much else. I thought we wouldn't like living on base but we love it now. It's pretty quiet and we're saving $1000 per month b/c of less bills AND the place we moved into was newer than the more expensive one off base. Good luck and post if you have any other questions!http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley16.gif
_popupControl();

FoundInNature
01-11-2008, 03:48 PM
Both of my kids were born in Hawaii. I agree with trying to live on base. We lived in the Moana Loa housing near Pearl Harbor. The new NEX there is gorgeous (at least it was when it opened in 2002 when we left).

Some advice we received upon arriving that I thought was helpful -
Try to avoid doing the tourist type stuff until your family starts visiting. People who never visited before suddenly hear you're in Hawaii and come out of the wood work to visit. You end up doing all the same things (Luaus, the Arizona, etc) every time someone else shows up. So keep that in mind when you get the urge to go site seeing as soon as you arrive.

Otherwise, have fun! I'm looking forward to taking my kids back once they're old enough to enjoy it.

Deanna