WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : 29 Palms - experiences?

tranty77
09-28-2007, 02:44 PM
Hi all,
I'm wondering if you can help me out - any advice is welcome. DH is a Marine - we are currently stationed in the mid west but have orders to transfer to 29 Palms in the next few months. I know NOTHING about the west coast - I was in San Diego for 3 days four years ago... didn't give me a lot of insight. Now we are moving out there with two small children and two old dogs. Here is my quandry - both of my dogs will be 8 by the time we move, they have never experienced sand (!!) or lots of heat (so I've read). I have a cat that I can't take with us so I'm having to find her a home - should I do the same with the dogs?? It would break my heart, I've had them since they were weeks old, they have been my best friends, my companions when hubby has been in the field (sitting here bawling!!!), my protectors etc. I'm just so worried that they won't adapt well to the west coast - my yellow lab has a slight heart condition, my black lab has hips problems... I know it wouldn't really be in their best interests so I guess I'm coming to you guys to hear someone else say it! I love them dearly - I just have a fear that it wouldn't be good for them. Does anyone have any experiences they can share??
Thanks for reading and sorry for rambling....

BrendaB
09-29-2007, 08:10 AM
Good Morning,
My hubby is also a Marine, but we were never stationed in 29 Palms. I have a friend whose hubby was stationed at 29 Palms for 3 years and both her and her hubby says it's very hot there, so unless your dogs are indoor dogs you may not want to bring them http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley19.gif

....of course if they are used to hot weather then they may not have any problems with the heat there. Also, with the dry heat there....your dog with hip problems may enjoy it. You see I have arthritis in my right knee and hip because of an accident I was in years ago and when I'm in dry heat I have less aches and pains.

Well....I hope you have a safe move http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley4.gif

Brenda

panzerswifey
09-30-2007, 01:55 PM
I lived there, There are no jobs, I grocery store off base. And the nearest walmart is 20 to 30 min away.
It is very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter.
It is a very small town. If you live off base be very careful of the ppl. The women there are very bold and will try you and try to flirt and more with your husband.
There are alot of pediphiles there.
You can look up the pedophiles online. I hated it.
I didnt live on base we lived in town.
I was married to a marine at the time.
I remarried my Army husband.
Camp Pendleton was nicer!

tranty77
09-30-2007, 03:42 PM
I think i am now going to bury my head in the sand and bawl for the next few months!! Honestly, neither hubby nor I want to go there but hey, you follow where Uncle Sam leads right?!
Thanks for the input and the advice on the pups...
http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley19.gif

*Bama*
09-30-2007, 06:18 PM
Hi I know someone who runs a moms group/playgroup out there, if you want to talk with someone who currently lives there pm me your info and I'll put you in contact with her.

AutumninCA
10-03-2007, 09:32 AM
I live at NAS Lemoore which is close enough in weather and such to relate to it. I'd bring the dogs as long as they are indoor animals. Otherwise maybe a relative could hold them. It get's quite hot here in summer (112 was our highest I believe) but we haven't experienced winter yet. It's isolated but I could't give you any area specifics on 29P. we have a boxer and he seems to be doing fine. Good luck.

tranty77
10-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Oh, that's good to know! Can I ask where you moved from and how long it took to move? How old is your dog? We are looking at a 5 day drive with two kids, two adults (ok, two more kids!!!), two dogs anda cat all in one vehicle....
If I had someone that could take the dogs for me here it probably wouldnt' be so bad but we don't have any close family or friends with big enough places to care for both...

Thanks again for the input, this is really helpful!
George

AutumninCA
11-03-2007, 02:47 AM
Copper was 3 but sadly we no longer have him. The move took awhile but we stopped over in TX, where my Mom lives. I drove Me to Pa, to Va, to TN and then TX, AZ and then just around 29p. We stopped every 2 hours to get a break from the car.

rlabelson
11-29-2007, 09:03 PM
I LOVED 29 Palms. We just moved to Salt Lake City from 29 palms. Sure, there is nothing right around. But Palm Springs is an hour away, though the drive seems much shorter. Pal Springs has everything youever need. You just have to plan your trip down there since it''s kind of far. Big Bear (a mountain town) is 1.5 hrs away and SO much fun.

I recommend living on base if you can. The comradery and friendships are unbelieveable! I made 2 of my dearest friends when we lived thre. I still talk to them all the time, one almost daily. There are things to get involved in to meet people-playgroups, kindermusik, officer and enlisted wives' clubs. They always have grat activities going on on the base. There are 3-4 free concerts a year on base. The circus came last summer. You name it. Joshua Tree national Park is right there if you like the outdoors.

If you need more info, please email me [email protected] (rlabelso[email protected])

I would definitely bring your dogs with you. They will adjust to the heat. We had a pup we got in Virginia during the winter and she adjusted just fine when we moved. You can keep your dogs inside during the day except for potty breaks if you need to until they adjust. Please don't give them away, I can understand how important they are.

Good luck!

cindygoodbrake
01-08-2008, 09:05 AM
You know........it sounds like a great place. The best thing would be to look at the best of the situation...1)I don't think the women can be that bad there...........and if so, you still shouldn't worry.....not if you guys got a pretty good marriage. Just pay attention.....lol..........Hey, Palm springs an hour away sounds great. Be sure you schedule time for your hubby as a family date, and if you dont have any sitters there...make it a date night with candles after kids are asleep......he'll appreicate it...and in the meantime...look up that Bear town and Palm springs and plan excursions there.........and just stay confident and look at the brigher side of things...and keep your dogs.....driy climates are always good.

kittenbabe
01-11-2008, 11:59 AM
I've never been there, but I have moved from PA to TX, which was a big change for us temperature wise. I think that your dogs will be fine. They'll need some time to adjust, but just make sure they have lots of water all the time to stay hydrated. They'll be just fine. http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif

TXFarmGirl
03-13-2008, 05:41 AM
I've been there. The nickname we all called it was "29 Stumps". I had to do a school there with the Marines. I was Navy at the time. It wasn't too bad, but I didn't get into all the base had to offer. Whenever we had time we got off of base and went other places in CA. It was the first time I had ever been. Just remember, no matter where you go, everyplace has its good and bad points, its all what you make of it!

Good luck!