WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : scam on military spouses

farm275
09-24-2007, 11:23 AM
<DIV id=post_message_601378>I just wanted to give everyone a heads up. My brother is serving in Iraq and his wife lives on post in FT. Stewart. Thursday she received a call from a woman saying she was from social security administration and they have come to the conclusion that several military families had too much taken out of their taxes so they were calling to issue refunds. The woman told SIL that she would just need her bank account number and lil bro's bank acct number to deposit the funds in. SIL foolishly gave the acct numbers to the woman who said the deposit would be made on the same day bro gets his pay. http://www.workplacelikehome.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_rolleyes.gif The woman had a blocked phone number and did not offer up her name. My mom is up there now for a couple days as sil is due to give birth she told her she needed to inform her bank and of course sil being 19 and thinks she knows it all refused. I proceeded to show her some tough love and three wayed a call with soc sec who informed her that she had been scammed they do not operate that way. Now sil had to go down and close the accounts. What can I say personally I thought she was a total air head for giving out her info but it appears a lot of people have fallen for this. The woman called back yesterday and wanted to know why the accounts were closed my mom answered the phone and told her soc sec had been spoken with and the woman hung up on her. Please be on the look out. People are taking advantage of our military families and need to be stopped.

Artist4Sale
09-27-2007, 09:32 AM
UGh I remember when my husband left in 2003, not even 2 weeks after he left I started getting calls that he owed money, and it was from his previous marriage and I was newly married so I knew nothing...I asked why they didn't call his ex etc...one time the guy actually YELLED at me saying I was responsible etc. I was crying...I ended up getting scammed out of like$1200 and had no idea until a few months later when I got my first phonecall from hubby from the desert...he sure loved hearing that news...MAN people are ruthlesshttp://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley7.gif. Pisses me off that someone would do that so us. Like we don't suffer enough (willingly but you get what I mean) Now what would have happened if something happened to that guy, and she was left with no money and a new baby? http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley7.gifOh even thinking about it is pissing me off! I wish we could find these people!

Stacey

Artist4Sale
09-27-2007, 09:41 AM
Ok I couldn't resist, I emailed Dateline NBC, since they do segments on scams all the time. did you see the latest on the internet scammers from like Nigeria or soemthing crazy? Anyhooo asked them if they ever did a story about this subject and there are alot of Military wives that are young and have no husband there to dispute their claims etc who are getting scammed. Hmmm..wonder if they will write back???

Stacey

ArmyChiefsWife
09-27-2007, 10:31 AM
good for you artist... contacting Dateline... i really hope they contact you back... this is an absolute outrage... thanks for the heads up farm... i did hear about this long ago Edited by: ArmyChiefsWife

armywife2005
10-03-2007, 04:37 PM
Hey ya'll my hubby is in Iraq and we are stationed at Fort Stewart small world