WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

Artist4Sale
08-23-2007, 08:46 AM
Okay so we have been in Fairbanks, AK since March. We got off post housing, rental. I have posted about our horrible realtor. For example, everythign is included in our rent...but TWO times so far I have gotten an electric turn off notice and not being able to get ahold of her....stuff like that.

SO after 6 months, we finally came up for housing. So my hubby was working so i went. Got to the office and he shows me this piece of paper that I have to sign that I looked at it. I was being offered housing OFF post that was government housing, but their contract would be up in 2009 and we would have to move out. Ummmm we will be there 3 years...so why move us to a house we are going to have to move out of again and will have to find our OWN housing since housing only offers you housing once? OK fine...THEN he proceeds to show me the floor plan....ummm...aren't you giving me KEYS to go LOOK at it? Oh no it's under maintanance...you can drive out and look in the window...

Are you serious? OK so my main reason for wanting post housing....when repairs etc need done I can get a hold of them unlike my realtor and I feel safer on post when he deploys.

So I had until 1 in the afternoon to decide. So I looked at it and well since I couldnt see INSIDE I called hubby and he said NO. I mean the whole point was to get ON POST. And then to have to move out in early 2009????? WTF? Woudl YOU accept housing without seeing hte condition of it??? Can they DO that? My hubby is going to see who he needs to talk to. You know why? NOW we are BACK at the BOTTOM of the housing list since we denied the first housing offered. AFter the second housing offer we are off the list.

SO does NOT seem fair.
Stacey

10.20.2007 UPDATE

UPDATE! Okay SO I got the email today that we are offered housing again...if we decline this time, that is it! And this time it IS on post. Crossing my fingers it's the new housing too, I have an idea where it is. Our appointment isn't until next wed. but we are going to drive out tomorrow since my hubby is off. Wish me luck!! This house, even though it's big,,,well, like recently it started smelling like sewage, emailed the realtor.and of course she never emails me back or returns my calls..that is how it is with her. Not sure if you saw my previous post of all the nasty stuff I found when we moved into this house like, old gray hairs, CLUMPS in the shower drain,,and bar soap that was left, that I thought was my husbands (since he got here before me) and I USED nad it WASN'T HIS! EWWWWWWWWWW! And stuff not working, toilets leaking and never getting fixed..the list goes on and on. And to boot, we are in Alaska..and it's COLD now, we were promised a GARAGE, and we found out last month that the one garage is geting turned into a studio apartment, and now some guy lives there, and the other garage is getting renovated with the rest of the bottom floor...nice.

SOOO wish me luck!

Stacey
ANOTHER UPDATE! After 8 months of waiting we finally have post housing and it is NEW!!! WHOHOO!!

StaceyEdited by: Artist4Sale

magenta_momma
08-25-2007, 02:03 PM
I totally think you made the right decision, I would never accept government housing without seeing it, for all Iyouknow it could look great on the outside and be 1963 inside,.. I'm visited many bases, and some are not update on the inside, th outsides have been painted, and well kept to look uniform on the base,...but no one is going to come out and say, the ac is 20 years old, the dishwasher is green, and the bathroom tile is orange,... with new carpet, lol.

I hope someone falls of the list, so your wait is not so long.

Artist4Sale
08-25-2007, 08:36 PM
Thanks, just a bummer we are back at the bottom! BLAH! Oh well, at least we have a house to live in right now!

Stacey

flutterz
08-26-2007, 12:02 PM
Yeah that sucks. But you made the right decision. If you are anything like me...I HATE HAVING TO MOVE. And that would be a waste to do it again in 2 years...then again after one more year.

MsTamara
08-26-2007, 03:22 PM
OUCH! I have never heard of such in 14 years. I would certainly be cautious of a house they are offering sight unseen that's for sure. I haven't had to deal with the housing office in a long time though and I hope to never have to for the rest of my husband's career. (Saying a prayer 6 yrs left) ButI thought they gave you at least two different offers before going back to the bottom although it probably depends on a lot of things the from branch of service to whatever installation you are on. I know that's got to be tough. My heart goes out to you and your family but I totally think your husband was right for saying no. There's no telling what's going onwith that house. You guys are in my prayers.

dstsoror1991
08-27-2007, 07:48 PM
Just wanted to post to let you know we had the EXACT same thing happen to us. We are stationed in NYC where apartments/housing is VERY difficult to find. One normally have to pay 1 months rent, 1 months security and 1 months rent to the real estate broker who helps you find housing. Granted our BAH is $2116 per month, for E7, so you can only imagine how much local housing is.

We didn't know this when we first got to the area, so we declined housing (off post housing as you have described). AFter living in Army lodging for 1 month, and seeing how much it would be to reside OFF post, we decided to get back on the list. We were called back in about 1 week saying something would be available the end of August.By that time we would have residedin Army lodging for 2 months at $80 per day with a 3.5 year old. The house is Navy off post housing (there is no navy base here). We were told we COULD NOT see the place before signing the lease. We did sneak in to see it while maintenance was there. Needless to say, they did the bare minimum getting the house prepared for us.We signed the lease. GMHknows that we are at their mercy.The bathroom had a broken window (which we noticed 1 week before moving in), window screens have visible holes in them, light bulbs were missing or blown from many of the light fixtures, there were visible cobwebs throughout the house, we had to purchase an adapter to get our dryer to work, the yard looked a messand the icing on the cake was they provided NO BLINDS or CURTAINS.....we had to purchase 53 BLINDS....for 53 windows at over $200......and this was our very first experience residing in housing after 21 years of military service. We have NO LOVE for housing.

OH, and they too say they are planning on selling and we may have to move NEXT YEAR. I hope we have enough money saved up so we can get out of military housing all together.

Hope you get something on base soon.

Venting right along with you,

DSTSoror1991

mompenguin
08-29-2007, 06:38 AM
After 18 years, all I can say is that military housing STINKS! Honestly, our housing has gotten worse with each assignment. Not quite what I expected!
Stacey, you have to be able to see the quarters. I don't know why you were told that it was under maintenance. We were once told we could look at similar quarters but my dh said we had to see the actual quarters and they allowed us in. Also, I would think that if they were losing the contract they would be responsible for moving you. Though I know where we are (FT Sam) if you have to rent something in town while you are on the housing list (since our list is 18-24 months, uh, yeah) you have to move yourself into quarters if they come available. That is because of the privatization and the company doesn't want to foot the bill.

It all stinks! Whenever I go to those meetings about our most valuable benefits they alway talk about the BX/PX and commissaries- but I always say give me good housing and access to good medical care.

Jeannine

dstsoror1991
08-31-2007, 07:02 AM
I agree...I think it's GMH. I think they STINK. However, this is my first encounter with Military Housing.....glad that this will be our first and last. I feel that it is GMH who is trying to keep cost down by making military personnel pay for everything that normally would be provided free. I am sure that US Dept of Defense had no idea that some of these things would be required by military personnel member. It probably is a gray line.

DSTSoror1991

meginsf
09-04-2007, 04:16 PM
Well this is my second time being military housing both experiances
were great. Everything in the houses were clean and if i had a problem
with anything they came out and fixed it that day or the next day. The
hous i'm in now is wonderful if it were a private home i prob would
have bought it.

Well our housing office works differently here. first off they
get the houses filled before the prevous people move out. So i took my
house sight unseen. Well just saw the outside, but when i accepted it
the prevous people were still living in the house. They told us that to
begin with and we agreed to those terms. Also they give you a choice of
witch housing development you want to go on the waiting list for. In my
case there was only 1 that i could go to sence i have 2 dogs. So thats
where i went. Also I really don't think we should be picky about what
the house looks like on the inside i mean everything is paid for and
your
never going to get exactly what you want specially if its provided for
you for free. Also they are sapose to give you 3 choices if you say no
to the first offer then they should give you the second offer the same
day and if you say no to that one then they have to give you a 3rd
offer that day. So that housing office seems fishy to me. Also not all
military housing is on base infact most housing is not on base but they
should atleast have a courtesy patrol to keep you guys safe. Also most
housing offices have a website that has a list of the housing availible
with pictures and floorplans.

Edited by: meginsf

Artist4Sale
09-09-2007, 02:16 PM
Thansk guys! My husband was going to see if he could file a complaint and he hasn't had the time to do it yet. THEN there is ALL this new housing getting built and I asked around...and there are some REALLY nice new ones that I saw people moving into...well my huabands rank is to friggin HIGH to live there! UGH! I think your experience depends on the post you are at too. Fort Leonard Wood, MO was great for us. We got in town on Sunday, Saw THREE houses on post Monday and moved in on TUESDAY!! That NEVEr happens! And the housing was nice, not great but nice. The NEW stuff was AWESOME! But of course, we don't get the luck in getting new housing. At least for his rank the list is only 25 long...we are now 22, BUT it took 6 months to get to the top! We'll see if my hubby can get it and file a complaint. The way it works here, if you decline the first offer then you are put on the bottom of the list...if you decline the 2nd offer, you are OFF the list. But again, I wasn't going to accept it without seeing the condition of it. I think that is SO wrong that they did that. Oh well. At least we are not stuff in guest housing and we have a house to live in! I am thankful!

Cross your fingers! lol!

Stacey

Artist4Sale
10-18-2007, 05:44 PM
UPDATE! Okay SO I got the email today that we are offered housing again...if we decline this time, that is it! And this time it IS on post. Crossing my fingers it's the new housing too, I have an idea where it is. Our appointment isn't until next wed. but we are going to drive out tomorrow since my hubby is off. Wish me luck!! This house, even though it's big,,,well, like recently it started smelling like sewage, emailed the realtor.and of course she never emails me back or returns my calls..that is how it is with her. Not sure if you saw my previous post of all the nasty stuff I found when we moved into this house like, old gray hairs, CLUMPS in the shower drain,,and bar soap that was left, that I thought was my husbands (since he got here before me) and I USED nad it WASN'T HIS! EWWWWWWWWWW! And stuff not working, toilets leaking and never getting fixed..the list goes on and on. And to boot, we are in Alaska..and it's COLD now, we were promised a GARAGE, and we found out last month that the one garage is geting turned into a studio apartment, and now some guy lives there, and the other garage is getting renovated with the rest of the bottom floor...nice.

SOOO wish me luck!

Stacey