WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Trying to decide to volunteer

FoundInNature
08-07-2007, 06:04 AM
Hello Everyone!

We're finally in the Georgia area. This has got to be the worst PCS in 13 years, but that's not why I'm writing. My DH is checking in to his new command next week. He will be reporting to his first command as an Ensign (O-1 to you non-Navy types), so he's going to be learning the officer ropes. And both of my boys will be starting school on Monday (my youngest will be in full time Kindergarten). So, I will have my days free to be a WAHM (with an emphasis on the "work" part!).

However, I've been thinking that I might want to volunteer to be a command Ombudsman. This is the role of civilian liason to the command. This person is usually a spouse and acts as a point of contact between other spouses and the CO. The Navy has this role specifically to help spouses new to the military and to be there for those with spouses deployed.

I would love some advice from people who have filled this role, who have utilized someone in this role (what did you expect from them, did they deliver, what would you have done differently). I am definitely open to the positive and negative.

On the one hand I think I'm uniquely qualified. I was in the Navy myself for 6 years, so I know what that side is like. I've been a military spouse for 12. And I've been both an enlisted spouse and an officer spouse (although not for very long yet). So, I've seen it from all sides. However, the officer thing is new for us, and I don't want to hinder him in any way. I'm not sure what I'm concerned about really. I know it's a lot of work, but now is a good time for me to be available for it since the kids are in school.

Anyways, just looking for some input. Thanks in advance!

Deanna