WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

msterra29
06-19-2007, 06:43 PM
Hi all!

Has anyone had a c-section and lost that little tire looking fat around the section. I weigh 117 and this is killing me! I have had 2 sections and this looks worse with the little tire fat than the last time. If you did lose it...please advise how you did it---Thank you so much in advance!
Terri

FV Mom
06-19-2007, 07:26 PM
This too has been my trouble area. Here's some stuff I found online:

I've delivered two big babies (both were over 9 lbs!) and one was delivered by C-section so I understand how tough it is to get rid of post baby belly fat after a C-section. There IS a difference! But it isn't impossible.

I did a variety of exercises from several sources, including the freebies from Prevention mag and on this website. I can't do many of the Pilates exercises for the stomach because I have a slipped disc in my neck and I can't do regular crunches. One of the best exercises for me to rebuild deep inner tone to flatten my stomach came from my OBGYN. It is called Organs in Place/Half Frogs (I know, wierd name) and she gave me a VHS tape to learn it. You can get this exercises for free at the www.ttapp.com (http://www.ttapp.com/) website in their article section and you can print it out for free. They sell it on VHS for $19.95 but you can get it on a DVD for FREE with a book called "Fit and Fabulous in 15 Minutes" at amazon.com. The book is only $17 too! I'm telling you this little 3 minute exercise (only 8 reps) worked wonders. I did it every day before any type I'd go for a walk, before any other stomach exercises, and before I went to bed. I still do it every time before I go to bed. I think every mom should know about it. I think it really is the secret to a flat stomach (like the book says)

In addition to this exercise I also brushed my body with extra strokes around by belly with a dry brush every day. I also did leg exercises with my feet up in the air (whew, really works the tummy - at least for me) and I did reverse crunches (no lifting of my head, just my butt)

Don't give up. After being stretched out and having some nerve endings cut it takes a little bit more effort but it can and will return to normal or even better before baby.

Tam

Here's an article I found too: http://www.pregnancy.org/article.php?sid=1146

deadra
06-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Glad to hear this ! I had two sections - my daughter weighed 9lbs 9oz, and my son weighed 9 lbs 12 oz !! Of course my kids are now 20 and 16 but I never got rid of that pot belly! So, this is good info to hear!!

FV Mom
06-19-2007, 08:39 PM
Another thing too. Chalene Johnson (of Turbo Jam) had 2 C-sections and look at her tummy!http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley3.gifhttp://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley20.gif

IamBlessed
06-19-2007, 09:05 PM
Holy cow, Chalene had 2 C-Sections? Who'd a thunk it? Although, I don't really know that she hasn't had some surgical help. NOT saying she's not awesome and hasn't worked her tail off to stay in such amazing shape but her ta-ta's are REALLY nice, LOL, like too nice for a mom of 2 kids. Anyway, who's to say if her boobies are fake that she didn't have that little pudge of skin left hanging over the c-section scar removed at the same time. Would be awesome if they are real and she didn't have anything done to the area over her c-section scar though.

Ok, that just got completely off topic, sorry. Just musing out loud. Once again, NOT downing Chalene at all because I'm loving her workouts and really believe that they can and will change my body. And if she did have work done to fix a couple little imperfections here and there that exercise couldn't help, more power to her. I want a boob lift and tummy tuck myself when I get through having babies and lose all the weight that I need to lose!!

By the way, I have the dreaded overhang over my c-section scar too. But, I've got a lot of fat to get rid of in that area too before I know the real damage that scar has done to the way my skin hangs there.

mommytotwo
06-20-2007, 05:15 AM
I have had two c-sections and still wear my bikini in the summer. I don't have anything hanging over my scar either. I think for me, because I worked out everyday during my 2nd pregnancy (that first one was a whole other story, but I went into that pg very thin) up to the day before I delivered via c-section, that it helped me gain my stomach back. I don't have the super toned tummy I once did, but it looks pretty darn good for two babies and two c-sections.

After my last c-section I got back to working out very quickly, walking, then doing The Firm in my home, etc and started toning my tummy when I was given the okay to. I have discovered that simply doing crunch after crunch isn't going to be effective with me, because I can do all the toning in the world, but if I don't do cardio to help lose any excess fat, then the muscles I am toning aren't going to show up under the fat.

I guess my suggestion (and this is just what worked for me, I am no expert) would be to up your cardio workouts and continue your toning and weights, but make sure you are doing plenty of cardio also. This is what worked for me.

Good luck!Edited by: mommytotwo

msterra29
06-20-2007, 06:33 AM
Thank you for for the inspiration that I CAN get it done. I also have a ruptured disk L5-S1) or I would of already been working this off as quickly as possible. I was on vacation the other day and watched an infomercial called the bean - I believe the website is www.bean.com (http://www.bean.com) I ordered this because of what doctors were saying about having neck and back trouble and using this to get rid of the abs. It should be here today I believe. I will keep you all updated on this and if anyone has this...please let me know! Hoping to here some more suggestions!!
Terri

BNDStocker
06-20-2007, 06:39 AM
I had a csection five and half yrs ago. I too have the spare inner tube!!

Thanks for all the advice!!!

IamBlessed
06-20-2007, 07:54 AM
mommytotwo, I pray you didn't take offense to me wondering out loud of Chalene had any surgery done to take care of the skin at her c-section scar. I know that it can be done, just the way you did it. One of my best friends had a c-section and had that little overhang of some fat and skin. She's worked her tail off and now looks better than she did before she got pregnant. She was small before but even smaller now.

I was big before my pregnancy and carried weight in the lower area of my stomach where I had my c-section anyway so now the scar as just exascerbated the way it looks. I think being built the way I am, no matter how much weight I lose I'll always have that little trouble area. We'll see though. I'm gonna keep working my tail off to get where I want to be, maybe it'll all go away with that hard work.

Anyway, just wanted to say I hope I didn't offend or insenuate (sp?) that surgery had to be done to get that area taken care of.

mommytotwo
06-20-2007, 10:45 AM
mommytotwo, I pray you didn't take offense to me wondering out loud of Chalene had any surgery done to take care of the skin at her c-section scar. I know that it can be done, just the way you did it. One of my best friends had a c-section and had that little overhang of some fat and skin. She's worked her tail off and now looks better than she did before she got pregnant. She was small before but even smaller now.

I was big before my pregnancy and carried weight in the lower area of my stomach where I had my c-section anyway so now the scar as just exascerbated the way it looks. I think being built the way I am, no matter how much weight I lose I'll always have that little trouble area. We'll see though. I'm gonna keep working my tail off to get where I want to be, maybe it'll all go away with that hard work.

Anyway, just wanted to say I hope I didn't offend or insenuate (sp?) that surgery had to be done to get that area taken care of.

Oh gosh, no I didn't even think anything of what you said. I had a flat stomach before kids, with some very toned stomach muscles. My stomach is still flat after 2 kids, but I don't have the sculpted look there that I once did. I think it helped that I went into pg having a toned tummy. I never even got one stretch mark during my pregnancies either. I do work hard to keep my stomach flat, but I know many women who have had c-sections and who work out regularly and still can't lose that spare tire. Upping my cardio really worked for me but it may not for everyone else.

I have a friend who is an avid runner. She had a c-section and she says she has the little overhang on her scar, yet she is very thin. Her stomach muscles just aren't going back where they used to. However, I know she doesn't do much to tone it up, she simply does her running which is a ton of cardio, but no weights or toning. Quite honestly, I must do a ton of cardio and also do someweights plus ab's, which is why I love The Firm workouts so much, they have both all in one workout.

Anyway, I wasn't at all offended. I didn't even think twice about what you had said.

FV Mom
06-22-2007, 05:56 AM
Here's an interesting article on loose skin: http://www.bodyfatguide.com/LooseSkin.htm

Personally I've noticed in my self that as I lose belly fat, the skin has not gotten any sag as of yet. I loofah and exfoliate it often though and will be adding microderm abrasion to my regimen very soon. When I tighten my abs, the "flap" diapears and all I have is a nice belly bulge.smileys/smiley36.gif

cre8tivgurl
06-22-2007, 07:19 AM
I had a C section, the big one that goes belly button to pelvic bone (it was emergency, no time to lose). That was in 1990. I wear a bikini and have a faint scar and no belly fat now that I started working out again and lost the excess weight. From my personal experience, lots of cardio and doing the sit ups on the big butt ball is what worked for me.

FV Mom
06-22-2007, 08:51 AM
I had a C section, the big one that goes belly button to pelvic bone (it was emergency, no time to lose). That was in 1990. I wear a bikini and have a faint scar and no belly fat now that I started working out again and lost the excess weight. From my personal experience, lots of cardio and doing the sit ups on the big butt ball is what worked for me.

That's awesome especially since the type of c-section you had makes it even HARDER to lose the belly fat and have good ab muscles!http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley32.gifGives us horizontal incision chicks lots of hopehttp://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley4.gif

cre8tivgurl
06-22-2007, 03:32 PM
Awww, yeah..gurlfriend there is ALWAYS hope!!

And I have to tell you, I have been thin for the better part of my life. But after that surgery, I felt so bad about myself. To me, that scar was so ugly, I felt like Frankenstein. So, I wore only one piece bathing suits. And my friends kept saying, if I was your size I would be out in a bikini. But I just felt so ugly. At 25 my two piece days were over, or so I thought.

Then two years ago (I am 41 now), I said, "you know what, life is short, so what if people stare, I am buying a two piece suit this year!" And I did. The first couple of times I wore it, I felt like all eyes were on my belly. Then that area got tanned, and you can barely see it now. And I LOVE my bikinis, I feel so free and good about myself.

I like to see heavier ladies in two piece suits, people with less than perfect bodies. Cause, who says, we all have to look like Christie Brinkley to wear a pretty bikini!? Wear what you like and enjoy.

A woman with confidence is the most beautfiul woman of all!

Velvetsky
06-22-2007, 04:17 PM

Oh gosh, no I didn't even think anything of what you said. I had a flat stomach before kids, with some very toned stomach muscles. My stomach is still flat after 2 kids, but I don't have the sculpted look there that I once did. I think it helped that I went into pg having a toned tummy. I never even got one stretch mark during my pregnancies either. I do work hard to keep my stomach flat, but I know many women who have had c-sections and who work out regularly and still can't lose that spare tire. Upping my cardio really worked for me but it may not for everyone else.

I have a friend who is an avid runner. She had a c-section and she says she has the little overhang on her scar, yet she is very thin. Her stomach muscles just aren't going back where they used to. However, I know she doesn't do much to tone it up, she simply does her running which is a ton of cardio, but no weights or toning. Quite honestly, I must do a ton of cardio and also do someweights plus ab's, which is why I love The Firm workouts so much, they have both all in one workout.

Anyway, I wasn't at all offended. I didn't even think twice about what you had said.

I think regarding Charlene? maybe genes and metabolize may have played a role? I feel
this may be what happened to me. I had a c section, it was a bikini cut, so
it was a smaller scar very low and I was back in a bikini 3 weeks after
giving birth with a flat stomach.. on the beach of all places. People couldn't believe I just had a
baby. Actually I couldn't believe it either. lol smileys/smiley36.gif Now the thing is, I hadn't even worked out.. it just went back into shape?? It was very odd to me, but at the same time..I wasn't complaining.

Now as I'm older (39), I have to work out to keep my flat stomach or
I'd probably have a pooch, but back then in my 20's I think my fast
metabolize and genes really played a part.

What do you all think? Do
you feel genes/metabolism play a role in this as well?

Velvetsky
06-22-2007, 04:19 PM
A woman with confidence is the most beautfiul woman of all!

I agree 100%!!

FV Mom
06-22-2007, 04:59 PM
Holly, did you breast feed? How was your diet (before, during and after pregnancy)? How much did you gain? I think that factors in as well. My first child for example I only gained 35lbs, I was a teenager at the time, and ate very healthy (you know, that first child paranoia?smileys/smiley36.gif) I was back to my pre pregnancy size within two weeks (and had tons of stretch marks lol) After I had her and joined the Army, I developed some really BAD eating habits, but never had a problem with my weight.

I was 22 with my 2nd child. I threw caution to the wind. Ate bad during and after pregnancy. Gained 70lbs and been working on it since!

Velvetsky
06-22-2007, 05:24 PM
Yes, many things probably play a factor.

This was my first and only child. I was 25 at the time and gained around 50 pounds and my diet was anything I saw I ate! smileys/smiley36.gif However I was all baby, my son was 10bs 13 ozs and I'm small boned (that's why I had to have the c section!)lol That's another crazy story for another time.smileys/smiley36.gif Anyway, that's why I felt for me genes played a role. LOL! Also, I luckily got no stretch marks.

Being that I have only had one child I'm sure plays a role in this also. I know the more children you have..the harder it is to lose the weight, or so I've heard. Then again, I have family members that have had a few children and they gone right back to the size they were. So that is also why I felt genes come into play some.

mommytotwo
06-23-2007, 06:18 AM
Holly, I agree with you about genes playing a role in bouncing back after baby. With my first DS, I had severe pre-eclampsia and ended up gaining 52 pounds on a 108 pound frame. It wasn't pretty! LOL! However, I lost 30 of it (mostly water from severe swelling) before I left the hospital. After that, most of it came off easily. I had a c-section at 35 weeks because I wouldn't dilate to have him vaginally and he needed to come out due to my pre-e.

With my 2nd DS I only gained 18 pounds total. Matter of fact, when he was one week old I went to the grocery store in my size 4 clothes where some woman who heard me say that my son was one week old followed me throughout the store, finally stopping me. When she stopped me she said, "I'm sorry, did you really say that you just had a baby one week ago?" I told her that I had and she was just amazed and couldn't believe that I looked like that right after having a baby. That made me feel awesome- I am not going to lie. I was in a bikini a few weeks later playing with my 2 year old in our baby pool and was already working out again, even though I had a c-section with him also.

My mom bounced back very quickly after each of her pregnancies, matter of fact, we pics of her in a bikini swimming with my 2 year old brother and me as a baby. She was about 10 years younger when she had her first (21) than I was with my first (I was 31), but I am sure that somewhere genes played a role in me getting my abs back (almost)and having no stretch marks. Mom didn't get those either.

Edited by: mommytotwo

JGB2002
06-23-2007, 02:03 PM
Yes, I am one of those odd ladies that bounced back to my normal weight after all 3 of my kids. My first kid I was 20 years old and gained 16 1/2 pounds during my pregnancy. My baby weighed in at 6 lbs and 11 oz and I lost all of my weight after her in one week and lost 8 extra pounds too.

My 2nd child I was 21 years old and gained a total of 24 pounds while pregnant. This child ended up weighing in at 8lbs and 13 and 1/2 ounces. After I had her it took me a total of two weeks to loose the weight, but I was already in my regular clothes the very first week of delivering my baby.

Now my 3rd child I was 34 when I delivered my baby and I gained a total of 15 pounds during the pregnancy. This baby weighed in at 6lbs and 3 oz and in 3-4 days I lost all of the weight and was back into all of my regular clothes.

While I was pregnant each time I ate what I wanted but I never went overboard. I only exercised with my first pregnancy and that was it. So with me age seems like it has nothing to do with me. I also think my metabolism is fast too. As far as my relatives(Fathers side), they all gained a lot weight while pregnant, and some still have the baby weight to lose. So as I can see I don't take anything after them. I have heard that my moms people were very thin so I think I may have inherited their genes?

Peggy

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1