WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Alli anyone??

tvel78
06-15-2007, 10:26 AM
Hi,

I just started alli today. Anyone else going to try it?

-Tracey

OrangeSmoke20
06-15-2007, 10:51 AM
There was just an article in our paper today, and I think I will pass on it. They are saying there is a good chance of abuse and certain people should not be taking it especially people with digestive problems, transplant recipents, diabetics, etc..... Also they are saying that you must follow a very low fat diet or you can develope diaherra, gas, and stomach pain! Also certain meds can be affected. Although I love the fact that it may help me lose weight, I have seen first hand what diet pills can do, so I am going to pass.
Please however, let us know how it is working for you! I would love to hear a personal testimonal!
: )
DAWN

Tamalex123
06-15-2007, 07:15 PM
I am thinking about trying it, not only will u lose weight but you will be more aware of what you put in your mouth. I was told the side effects come from things that are not really good for you and that is high in fat. How much did it cost? Also do they have a 30 day, 60 day, and 90 day supply?

IamBlessed
06-15-2007, 09:39 PM
Not going the diet pill route anymore. I've done it for years with everything you can imagine and always gained back what I lost plus some. Also, if eating bad gives you the side effects, I can just pretend that eating bad is going to give me the side effects and get the same benefit without all the out of pocket expense of a pill.

I wish all of those trying it the best, it's just definitely not for me after years of yo-yo'ing with my weight because of diet pills.

veperez
06-15-2007, 11:10 PM
I'm am with Krystal & Dawn. I prefer lose my weight by making healthy exercise & nutrition habits w/out the diet pills. It's worked very well so far.

I've also read that if you take Alli and follow a sensible low-fat diet and exercise, you
will lose 50 percent more weight than you would with diet and exercise
alone.

Instead of losing 10 pounds, a person who takes Alli will lose
15 pounds.

All the best,

~ Vilma

sunshine
06-16-2007, 07:12 AM
I purchased Alli yesterday also. I am starting it today. I just took my first pill.

CathyEdited by: sunshine

chrlstoncharmed
06-16-2007, 07:43 AM
What was the last great diet pill that came out? It was by prescription, though ... anyway, it acted in the same was as this "new" Alli. My SIL used it and wasn't successful because she said the side effects were too awful to deal with.

Julianna37
06-16-2007, 07:47 AM
Xenical

caitalexmommy
06-17-2007, 10:05 AM
I'm going to get it as soon as I can afford it. The main difference in Alli is it's FDA approved... it's the ONLY FDA approved OTC diet pill there is, so you really can't compare it to anything else that's been out before. Yes, you will get diarrhea and cramping if you eat foods that are too high in fat. But, that's the whole point... it helps you dicipline yourself to eat the right foods. It's just extra motivation, and I could really use that. lol. You absolutely MUST eat a well balanced diet with this pill. The thing that won me over is you can't add up your "points." For example, you'll be eating about 15 fat grams/meal. That doesn't mean you get 45 fat grams per day... you have to balance it out throughout the day. With weight watchers and other similar programs, you can save up your points by eating next to nothing throughout the day, and splurge on a big piece of cake at night, and technically you've stayed within your points for the day, so it's okay. (Yes, I realize that if you're doing this on WW then you're not doing a good job, but it's easy to feel okay with doing this when you're staying within your "goals.") I usually hate the idea of diet pills, but I think if you use this the way it's intended, it will work out well. You're not going to gain a lot of weight back once you go off the pill b/c the pill itself doesn't "Make" you lose weight, it just helps you take the adequate steps to do it yourself. Anyway, to each his own. Long story short, I can't wait to try it. http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gifI'm fully prepared for the bashing I'm going to get for promoting this lol. And I'll say in advanced, that it's okay. I love you all for trying so hard to take care of us, and I thank you for your input. http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif

jnmurra
06-17-2007, 10:20 AM
From what I have read, those who lost weight in the clinical trial only lost 3 more lbs. than those who didn't take Alli over the period of 1 year. Weight loss for those in the clinical trial was 1 lb. per month.

I've also been reading people's experience over at the myalli.com message board. I mean they're wearing pads because - well, they have stuff "leaking" from "you know where" http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley5.gifbecause they ate a little too much fat in a meal.
So you're not allowed to eat fat or only so much fat and if you go over that amount, then you're going to have to wear a pad or carry around extra pants? I'm just wondering what this does forpeople that they can't do for themselves (other than have some nasty and embarassing side effects?).

Just my thoughts - not really directed towards anyone becausepeople can do whateverthey want. I personally wouldn't waste my money.

Oh, and as far as it being FDA approved - I don't put much stock in that. They approve drugs every day that kill us and then they might recall them if thereare enough lawsuits to hurt some pocketbooks.

Lori Moreno
06-17-2007, 11:14 AM
I never heard of alli before.

From what the posts say, be careful.

Lori

KekeRayDesigns
06-17-2007, 12:59 PM
I've been on it for a couple of days with no real side effects. It was $59.97 at walmart for a 30 day supply. If nothing else, it totally makes you completely aware of what you are eating because you don't want to have the yucky side effects. I can see where that alone could make a person lose weight...lol...

OrangeSmoke20
06-17-2007, 01:32 PM
My thoughts on it are my thoughts only. If you feel that it is right for you then I hope it works out for you. I eat a very low fat diet everyday, so I don't need the pill to make me eat a low fat diet. I also have stomach problems relating to Fibromalygia, so I don't need anything else that can possibly make me sick. If I eat anything too fatty, I get stomach cramps and pain all on my own so I don't needa pill to do that for me...LOL!
And my personal thoughts on the FDA...they approved Phen Phen which was a great weight loss drug but people died and had serious side effects from it, and then they finally pulled it. You can't put too much stock in it being FDA approved
But again, just because I choose to not take the pill, doesn't mean you arent suppose to take the pill. I would love to hear success stories from people who the pill actually helped.
: )
DAWNEdited by: OrangeSmoke20

Julianna37
06-17-2007, 01:53 PM
Honestly I have friends who have been on it with no side effects.

I mean if you are silly enough to eat high fat foods while taking a pill thats clearly states no high fat foods or this will occur, u are clearly biting yourself in the butt.

Know what I mean??

Juli~

caitalexmommy
06-17-2007, 02:19 PM
Exactly Juli. I applaud all of you who can just do diet and exercise alone and do well. However, all of us don't have that motivation... I realize that it takes practice to make something a habit... that's why I am choosing Alli. I can say all day long that I'm going to eat well because it's healthier... I'll look great when I reach my ideal weight... blah blah blah... and then I still turn around and eat half a bag of oreos in one sitting. http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gifBut, knowing that if I eat all those oreos, I may have an extremely embarrassing situation in public??? Now THAT'S real motivation lol. I'm not planning on using this the rest of my life and I'm not going into it thinking it will be a miracle pill-it's not-but, I'm using it until I make a habit out of eating well, exercising well, etc. It doesn't look unhealthy to me. Just a little inconvenient, at most. If anyone has anything to back up that it's unhealthy, please post it here because I would love to know in advanced before I spend $60 on it!

sunshine
06-17-2007, 02:33 PM
This is my second day, and I haven't experienced any side affects.

jnmurra
06-17-2007, 02:45 PM
Here is one thing I found about precancerous lesions of the colon and vitamin deficiency:
http://www.revolutionhealth.com/healthy-living/weight-management/weight-loss-options/diet-pills-supplements/doc-faceoff?section=section_00 (http://www.revolutionhealth.com/healthy-living/weight-management/weight-loss-options/diet-pills-supplements/doc-faceoff?section=section_00)

I also have to wonder since it blocks fat, does it discriminate about what type of fat? I mean there are healthy fats, so does it block the absorption of healthy fats too?

I haven't really looked too much more into it, but if you really want to weigh the pros and cons, just Google it because I'm sure there is plenty out there, good and bad, as with everything else. http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif

Good luck and keep us updated on how it goes!

caitalexmommy
06-17-2007, 04:53 PM
Thanks for that link! I don't know... I tend to get all excited about new fads thinking "this is it! I've found it!" and then do a little research and keep being reminded that there is no "it." I already have "it." It's just a matter of forming habits. I'm doing this to look great, of course, anyone who says that isn't a big motivator is lying lol. But, I'm also doing it to teach my children healthy lifestyles so that they aren't forced to relearn everything when they're already overweight and unhealthy like I'm having to do. I think to myself "when my daughter sees pics of me years from now and asks me what I did to lose the weight, am I going to be proud to say I took a pill?" I think it will be much more rewarding the old fashioned way. To know that I did it on my own. It's just so hard to stay motivated, especially when my husband isn't trying to lose weight. He does the best he can, but my house is by no means a safe zone as far as healthy foods go lol. Any tips from those of you who are kind of going it alone also?

jenzshoppin
06-24-2007, 06:05 PM
I just read up on this on their site and I read some posts and I am ready to go to WalMart and buy the starter pack. I think Costco is cheaper per pill, about 70. for starter pack with 150 pills, but they just closed at 6pm.

I have low thyroid disease and before this happened I could change my lifestyle a bit and see results. Now I have to change more drastically to even see the smallest result. It makes me very discouraged and I give up! I only have 25lbs to lose and be back at my 160lbs regular weight. I am 5'8" and about a size 14 pants right now. I need to get to the 160lbs, size 10, to be "normal" again. I dream of being back down to 140 and a size 8, but that is not realistic right now.

So, who is with me? I will start tomorrow. I work from home doing outbound calls so restroom effects should not be a problem.

tvel78
06-25-2007, 07:02 AM
Ive been on alli for 10 days and both me and my husband lost weight with no side effects at all. This is really helpfull for us because it makes us eat much better. We tried dieting in the past with no pills and it never worked. We would do it for 1-2 days and then go back to eatting crap again. But with the alli pill we eat better.... I will say we cheated a few times (didnt take pill those times) and still no side effects. Also we still lost weight with little to no exercise.

Those side effects you hear are from people who dont want to admit that they ate a steak for dinner or other fattening food. Plus if you take a multi vitamin every day your still getting the vitamins you lose from the pill.

jenzshoppin
06-25-2007, 07:13 AM
After doing more reading on the Alli message boards on their site, I am not sure if it is for me. I already eat pretty low fat foods. I don't eat fast food, steak or fried foods. I love steak, but I don't digest it well (horrible gas cramps) so I don't eat it. The only areas I eat fatty foods are dairy (cheese, yogurt), baked goods and some meats.

I am considering doing a low carb/lean meat diet again like Curves. I also read up about the Kimkin diet. I think I do really well on a high protein diet considering I am hypothyroid. I also think that I have a Candida problem from eating too much sugars and carbs, so a lowcarb/high protein diet helps me keep my yeasts under control (and a good Probiotic and Digesive Enzymes).

If I cannot stick to whole grain carbs and eliminate the bad carbs and I ruin that diet, I may try Alli. I am a member of a produce co-op and have been eating a lot of fruit. I really don't want to give up my fruit! I think KImkins requires no fruit at first, Curves allows some.

caitalexmommy
06-25-2007, 10:45 AM
Okay all you experts... I know you're lurking here http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif. I have never understood a diet that says not to eat fruits. I know they only say that for the first few weeks... but fruits are essential to our health.... aren't they???? VILMA!!!!!!!!!!!! JEN!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is there scientific evidence out there that supports cutting out all fruits?

veperez
06-25-2007, 11:09 AM
Hey there... just answered your question on the other message... http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif

I'm out the door for lunch, but when I come back... i'll try and ellaborate some more.... for now, here is my opinion...

http://www.wahm.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=399784

~ vilma

Edited by: veperez

jnmurra
06-25-2007, 11:10 AM
Expert? Moi? Are you sure? http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif

There are some folks who equate the natural sugars found in fruit to be the same as "bad" sugar. It's not the same thing.

Now, in most diets that I have read about that are low carb, they don't want you eating fruit because a lot of fruits are high/higher in carbs and will quickly add up if you're low carbing it. Take for example a banana. One medium banana has about 28 grams of carbs. Well, if you're only "allowed" 20 grams of carbs per day -- oops, with that one medium banana, you are over your limit for the entire day.

I have never seen any credible (meaning in a peer-reviewed journal) scientific evidence stating that the average person should cut out all fruits. On the contrary - fruit is full of vitamins, minerals, nutrients, fiber and complex (good for you) carbs that our bodies need,and there are so many benefits of eating fruit that I can't even begin to list them all.

Most weight loss plans that can be used long-term or modified for long-term do not suggest cutting anything but "junk" food and processed food.

HTH

Julianna37
06-25-2007, 12:22 PM
Okay, well I have lost 7lbs on Alli so far and no "treatment effects" at all so I am extremely satisfied with it.

It is just "different strokes for different folks" kind of thing.

Juli~

chrlstoncharmed
06-25-2007, 12:42 PM
Juli, how long have you been on Alli?

My husband wants to try it and I'm really, really afraid for him to take that plunge. He has maybe 60-70 lbs to lose and he rationalizes that if Alli could help him lose faster in the beginning, he could become more physically active without hurting himself.

Right now, he's just too obese to jog - I worry that he would seriously damage his knees. His legs are already under such stress that he's got really bad vericose veins that will need surgery to correct (they're causing ulcerations on the skin, too). http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley6.gif

Anyway, he has expressed interest in Alli and I know he won't use it unless I give him the OK. I desperately want him to lose weight, but I'm just afraid of these side effects. He is in sales and he travels a lot, so he doesn't have the luxury of being at home in the event of stomach cramps or "leaking".

Julianna37
06-25-2007, 02:22 PM
I have been on ALLI for 9 days.

I have been eating lowfat, exercising and drinking alot of water.

I know, I could do that by myself BUT Alli does not let me get away with....

"Well, I was good today so I can have that piece of cake" or "I exercised today so that will burn off the Ben and Jerry's chunkey monkey I am about to eat"

Alli has taught me how to take a step back before I put something in my mouth and think"what will the reprocussions be?"

All the talk about treatment effects are from people who take Alli and think it is a magic pill and can eat anything they like. If they dont do their research and eat chinese food after they take their magic pill, then the treatment effects are not the pill's fault but their own.

Of course this is my own opinion but the Alli starter kit comes with LOADS of info and suggestions and if you choose not to follow it thats up to you.

Okay....I will get off my soapbox....LOL

But Melle, I have had not ONE treatment effect and personally I do reccomend it, it makes you really aware of the food you are eating or that extra bite of food.

Let me know if I can be of any more help!

Juli~

christyk
06-25-2007, 04:24 PM
jenzshoppin....be careful taking any diet pills with thyroid problems and make sure that if you do, you go see your doc regarding your thyroid and have it rechecked after taking it to make sure your meds are still at the right dosage. I know that lots of them can really throw that out of wack! I have had personal experience with it doing that. I also have an underactive thyroid and it totally stinks that it is not as easy to lose weight! Good luck in whatever you decide to do!!!! :)

caitalexmommy
06-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Hi all, just wanted to clarify... when I posted earlier in this thread about fruits, I think I offended a couple of people and I didn't mean to. I was legitimately confused lol. After reading it again I realize it sounded like I was bashing, but I was just pleading for help lol. Hopefully no offense was taken, but wanted to post just in case. :)

veperez
06-25-2007, 06:02 PM
Hi all, just wanted to clarify... when I posted earlier in this thread about fruits, I think I offended a couple of people and I didn't mean to. I was legitimately confused lol. After reading it again I realize it sounded like I was bashing, but I was just pleading for help lol. Hopefully no offense was taken, but wanted to post just in case. :)

Hey girl... I didn't take it as bashing... I honestly thought you just wanted to know... Don't sweat it... there is nothing wrong with wanting to be informed.

~ Vilma smileys/smiley1.gif

caitalexmommy
06-25-2007, 08:48 PM
Thanks again, Vilma! http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley9.gif

LadyTimeLord
07-11-2007, 12:41 PM
I started taking Alli yesterday. I had a few small stomach cramps but I know that was because I didnt prepare myself for a few days before I started taking it....it was nothing major though and really didnt bother me that much. I have now started watching what I eat better. I am more conscienous of labels. I also read the The Alli Diet Plan and that gives good tips with using Alli. I am beginning to work out a bit more now. I am working on building a routine every day. I have already began to lose a few pounds. Its not much...but I did gain quite a bit after 4th of July with all the food my family brought over.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1