WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Dietary Aides?

LadyTimeLord
05-26-2007, 03:27 PM
Are there any good low cost dietary aides that I can buy, say at Walmart or common store like that that can help in my dieting? Im having a terribly hard time.
Thanks!

deadra
05-26-2007, 03:58 PM
I don't know much about those, someone else might.
Why not buy some low cal snacks and put you single servings in those little 1/2 baggies. Things like raisins, cheerios, carrots, fruit, etc. I find when I get the munchies, I need something to Crunch! I'm a big chip eater - so I try to keep crunchy things.

Also, kashi bars, south beach bars - I know they probably aren't what some would chose, but they help me when I get that "gotta have something to eat NOW" feeling!

Drink lots of water - at least half your body weight in ounces of water or more. Add some fresh fruit juice - squeeze a lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit for a little zip to your water. Drink it ice cold - helps to burn calories faster - or so I've read.

veperez
05-26-2007, 10:40 PM
Are there any good low cost dietary aides that I can buy, say at Walmart or common store like that that can help in my dieting? Im having a terribly hard time.
Thanks!

What are you having a hard time with?

LadyTimeLord
05-27-2007, 06:15 AM
Loosing weight. Its just not happening for me. I would like to be able to have the foods that I like but still loose weight. Im usually offered food by the lady that I help sometimes and I know it breaks her heart when I turn her down to have a meal with her. So, I need something to help burn foods like that off. That and friends often invite me out to dinner with them....usually restaurants that dont have too many low calorie foods and such.
I believe I tend to have a big appetite too. So something that would decrease that is a good thing as well. And I try to drink as much water as I can.Edited by: Monkish

veperez
05-27-2007, 05:33 PM
Loosing weight. Its just not happening for me. I would like to be able to have the foods that I like but still loose weight.

You can, but in moderation & in smaller portions. The bottom line of losing weight is:

Burn more calories than you consume = weight loss

Intake more calories than you burn = weight gain

Im usually offered food by the lady that I help sometimes and I know it breaks her heart when I turn her down to have a meal with her. So, I need something to help burn foods like that off. That and friends often invite me out to dinner with them....usually restaurants that dont have too many low calorie foods and such.

I'm not sure what kind of food she offers you, but you can still try and eat healthy even at these times for the most part. Make sure that you get a good lean quality source of protein in every meal, a complex carbohydrate & some fibrous veggies. It is the same when we go out to eat. You can ALWAYS find alternatives at restaurants & most are very accomodating to your requests.

Exersising is the easiest and most effective way the burn the calories that you consume - not some magic pill.

I believe I tend to have a big appetite too. So something that would decrease that is a good thing as well. And I try to drink as much water as I can.

I'm glad to hear that you are drinking water. smileys/smiley20.gif Keep it up. The minimum you should be drinking is half your body weight in ounces.

There is an article on my blog that you might want to read which talks about water consumption:

http://vphealthandfitness.com/re-too-much-water/

As far as curbing your hunger goes...

You can always curb your hunger by the foods that you consume.
<UL>
<LI>Eat a lean source of protein in every meal. Protein will keep you satisfied longer because it's very thermogenic (also helps the metabolism). It takes the stomach approximately 3 hours to digest a portion of protein.

<LI>Eat complex carbohydrates that have fiber, which will take the stomach longer to digest it. Whole grains, along with fruits and vegetables, tend to be filling because they contain higher levels of fiber.

<LI>Unlike other food substances, fiber is not digested. It adds bulk to foods, which helps fill the stomach, slowing the rate at which food is digested. Fiber is a good dietary tool to keep hunger pangs away and keep you satisfied longer.
<LI>Healthy fats also keep you satisfied longer - but are very calorie dense, so be careful how much you eat. A good tip is to eat a handful (about 14) almonds before you go eat out with you friends &amp; this will help you curb your appetite so you won't over eat.</LI>[/list]
Here are some tips to keep in mind:

<LI>Eat about every 3 hours, so you don't get hungry.
<LI>Eat till you're full – if this isn't enough, have more; just stop when you're satisfied, not stuffed.
<LI>Don't skip breakfast. Morning fiber (protein too) helps control afternoon cravings.</LI>
=============

Well, Monkish, I don't know if this is what you were wanting to read...

Losing weight takes a serious commitment that cannot be achieved through a magic pill. You need to change your mentality of losing weight... you CAN DO IT smileys/smiley20.gif - w/out putting chemically altered things in your body that will probably cause more harm than good in the long run.smileys/smiley11.gif

I'm not sure if you're exercising, but if you're not, start. Start by walking 30 minutes a day. No excuses. Then you can build on that and start adding more activities that will help you burn off fat. Just watch, soon you will be on your way to living a healthy life &amp; you will be losing fat as well.

Here to help,

~ Vilma

Edited by: veperez

veperez
09-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Thanks!

Just checking up... How is your progress going??

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1