WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : I just dropped him off

sweetiepy
05-25-2007, 09:38 PM
My hubby that is, for a 4 month tour in iraq..this is so hard! I know many of you here have also had deployed spouses. How did you get by? how did you keep yourself sane? Im going to feel so lost without him..please share ..

MsTamara
05-26-2007, 01:00 AM
Hugs to you sweetiepy. I feel your pain. My husband's first deployment was immediately following 9/11. Not sure if this is comforting but give yourself some time to feel whatever it is you feel lost, sad, crazy etc. When my husband left we were still in Okinawa and I was quite busy running my daycare center and preschool which took up a great deal but still not enough of course and doing scouting etc with my son and daughter. My kids and I over time developed our little routines though. One thing I never managed to kick was be able to go to sleep without the tv while he was gone. So to comfort myself I would buy DVDs which back then was still new for us since we'd just bought a player and had about 7 of them when he left. I think when he returned I havd about 60!

As far as support back then I was part of a wonderful church family of mostlyMarine families, we are AF so they really did more deploying than we did of course. My friends were helpful with being there when I needed them and giving me space too when I felt like shying away from everyone. Christmas was the worse for me. I had the kids open their gifts on Christmas Eve because I just didn't feel like being around anyone else so I stayed in bedChristmas Day watching movies with the kids.

Another thing I did each weekwas make sure I had some time just to myself no kids,just me. So I hadthe daughter of a friend of mine take the kids on Friday afternoons so if I wanted to shop, gobe pampered or whatever I could and not feel guilty about it.

We are kinda facing the same thing only my husband will have to be away for a year this time since he's never done a remote tour and now after fourteen years he's at the top of the list.

No two ways about it is hard while they are gone, you guys are in my prayers.

Stay encouraged!

ArmyChiefsWife
05-26-2007, 01:05 AM
I am sorry Sweetiepy i certainly feel your sorrow... but you just have to keep yourself busy... my hubby has been deployed for 11 months now... and was expected to be home in July... to my dismay... the Army now deploys 15 months now he has to stay an extra 3 months... so just look at my situation and it will bring beautiful light to yours... i wish he was only gone for 4 months... if i can do it YOU CAN TOO... it has been a longgggggggg haul for me... i had a baby in January... moved into new housing and raising a 14 yr old son as well... we are not on the mainland and i have absolutely no family around to help... So my advice.... is for you to just stay as busy as possible... get out join the health spa... group up with other spouses...hit the library... or even sign up to take some educational classes... that is what i am doing for this last leg ofdeployment... i just signed back up to go to school (online classes) and that will help the next 4 months fly by...Good Blessings to you... feel free to PM me or ask away in the thread... you will be just fine... Pray and keep yourself busy!!!!!

elle13ad4u
05-30-2007, 06:31 PM
hey sweetiepy, I feel for you, my husband is in Iraq now, and Imiss him alot too, we have a eight month old son, and everyday I just try to keep busy and try not to think about it. Hope all goes well for you.

Artist4Sale
05-30-2007, 11:38 PM
Mine went at the beginning of the war I think it was like 9 mos. UGH! Everything was SO charged then too! You can do this! 4 mos is a piece of cake! Well at least try to think of it that way! The way I get through deployments is...get your calendar out...start planning things during the months even if it is something like Spring Cleaning or whatever...they will be mini milestones....so when you get through one on your list...you are focusing on the next. Get involved with your FRG!!!!! Hopefully they will plan family BBQ's etc., to keep you busy. Try some new activities, focus on the "Me Time" you will have, like watching all your chick flicks, or eating the food that YOU like and your hubby doesn't etc.

YOu will get through this! My prayers are with you!

Stacey

Traci
06-07-2007, 11:46 AM
My husband just left for Kuwait on Friday. I can so understand your pain. We have three children (11,7 and 4) and I am a SAHM who also has my own business. I got to talk to him today and it was so wonderful.

KimberlyP
06-16-2007, 08:01 PM
My husband left on mothers day for a 15 month tour to Afghanistan. He spent 14 months in Iraq 04-05. I know how hard it is. All we can do is keep ourselves busy to make the time go as fast as possible!!! God bless your husband and your family...from one military wife to another!

Yassiry
07-15-2007, 04:12 PM
My fiance left a couple of months following the 9/11 crisis. He was there for a year. He was deployed again this past May and will be over there for another year. We have a 1 year and 10 1/2 month old daughter and will be getting married next year. It has been extremely hard for all 3 of us because we were always together. He rarely went out with his friends so he went to work, play basketball and back home. Our daughter and him were like siamese twins, lol. Always one was behind the other, lol. So it's hard but we have to also transmit positive energy/vibes to them because our soldiers need it. I cry once in a while but I do it when my child is asleep and never in front of my man. Hugs to you, honey. Keep yourself busy. I'll be starting soon a few charity auctions for The AmericanBreast Cancer Foundation so that is one fullfilling thing that will be occupying my time...other than my little monster, lol. Why don't you try charity work?Believe me, you'll feel great. You're welcome to PM me anytimeyou like. I offer you my friendship for all it's worth.
I met one of my best friends last year because I sold something to her on Ebay and got her order mixed up with another, lol. We kept on chatting after the transaction closed and a couple of months after, tragedy struck her household and we became closer than ever. Our friendship is so beautiful that she's going to be my maid of honor at my wedding plus she came to meet me in person last April with her 3 daughters and her mom!!!We had a BLAST!!! So, if you feel like talking, I'm here. Yassiry

flutterz
07-22-2007, 09:12 AM
http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley19.gif My hubby left this am. WAH I'm sooo sad. He is on his way to Cherry Point then in 4 days to Iraq. He will be gone 6-7 months. I don't know what to expect. But I'm praying he comes home early rather than later.

He is going to TQ.

All those hubby's/spouses that are deployed...I'm praying for you all. Safe return.

qcmommy
08-15-2007, 01:21 PM
I drop my hubby off in September for 365 http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley13.gif

sweetiepy
08-19-2007, 09:07 PM
Well hubby has been gone for bout 3 months now..another month to go. Were doing ok. We have been here in Florida with my parents for about 2 1/2 months now and than heading up to Iowa to see his family for a few weeks..tahn back to Japan we go. Hailey started walking..her 1st b-day..talks like crazy..no more bottle..and so much more he missed :(. We did find out we are heading to Charleston SC in June of '08 for a fact and hubby just made staff sgt! woo hoo. I miss him like crazy.

To everyone else hubbys that are deployed They are all in my prayers!. Thank you all for the kind support..

Jordan

MsTamara
08-26-2007, 03:13 PM
Glad to see you still are holding your own these days. All of you are in my prayers.

Stay encouraged!