WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : FVMom - Weights Routine

jnmurra
05-14-2007, 01:13 PM
I want to tell you upfront, when you start this - don't pay a lot of attention to the scale. You may actually see it go up at first. Do pay attention to your diet (make sure you're getting enough protein - very important!).
Here is my schedule for now:
Monday - weights/full body
Tuesday- 30 minutes cardio
Wednesday- weights/full body
Thursday - 30 minutes cardio
Friday - weights/full body
Saturday - 1-hour stretching DVD (your muscles will respond so much better if you can get in some stretching).

I don't suggest circuit training since you're just starting out. Wait a couple/few weeks until you get used to things and go from there. If I were you, I would start out with 1 to 2 sets of 12 reps, taking a 30 second break between sets.Maybe in a week or 2 you can add another set.

You cando a split routine where during week 1, you work your upper body 2 times and your lower 1 time. Then the next week you would work your lower body 2 times and your upper body 1 time. The following week, go back to upper body/2 x's, etc. Right now, I am doing a full body but later on, I will probably have to split it because it may take up too much time.

Picking your weights:

Remember! Use proper form! How "well" you lift is more important than "how much" you lift. Also keep in mind that you want to lift and lower without momentum (you won't see results), concentrate on what you're doing, and don't fly through.

When you're first starting, pick a weight that you think you can handle and go from there. It's kind of trial and error, but you want a weight that will allow you to do at least 10 reps with correct form but not more than 12 (some folks do 15, butI do 12). You want to have the muscle fatigued on that last rep. After 3 to 4 workouts, you'll probably notice it's getting easier and then you can up your weight.

Here is the routine I am doing (you can probably find pics of how to do on the 'net if you're not familiar with how to do it or I can try to explain it to you).

Back: single arm lat row and dumbbell pullover
Arms: Biceps/bicep curl and concentration curl
Triceps/bench dip (can use a chair if you don't have a bench) and prone triceps extension (if you don't have a bench, you can do triceps kickbacks instead of the prone triceps extension)

Butt & hamstrings: squats and plie dumbbell squats

Chest: pec fly and chest presses

Hips & Thighs: front/reverse lunges and weighted (ankle weights) side leg lifts (If you don't want to do lunges since you've been doing them with Debbie the past 6 weeks, let me know, I can suggest some others)

Shoulders: Dumbbell front raise and lateral raise

Abs: I do these last because you don't want to fatigue your abs by doing them first because you need to engage your abs while doing all the above. I either do straight floor crunches or on the stability ball (ball is better) and oblique crunches.

HTH http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif

FV Mom
05-14-2007, 03:01 PM
Thanks Jen! yes, please list alternates for squats and lunges - my kneres are shothttp://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley19.gif

jnmurra
05-14-2007, 03:06 PM
I imagine they are at this point!

Butt & hamstrings - instead of regular squats, do standing hamstring curls with ankle weights. You can also do bent-legged dead left (usually done with a weighted barbell, but I've used free weights before).

Hips & thighs - instead of lunges, try what is called a wall adductor. If you can't find this one online, let me know. You'll need ankle weights for it as well.

Do you have a stability ball?

Another Viewpnt
05-15-2007, 06:42 AM
Here's a great resource that lists what sorts of exercises to do for each muscle group, and it shows you how to do 'em:

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

~Becky

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1