Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:34 PM
Registered WAHM

Default meat and potatoes of AF

I am just learning about affiliate marketing and have a few questions. Do you need a website or blog to be successful? How many of you write your content on your site? I'm trying not to get overwhelmed, but I am not so sure of my skills to create a website from scratch.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2013, 02:08 AM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tish1234 View Post
I am just learning about affiliate marketing and have a few questions. Do you need a website or blog to be successful? How many of you write your content on your site? I'm trying not to get overwhelmed, but I am not so sure of my skills to create a website from scratch.

No, you do not need a website or blog to be successfu
l. I had developed my full time income without either and only later did I start a blog as a free training site for other affiliate marketers just getting started in the industry.

Blogs and websites are only one way of generating traffic (potentual buyers viewing your offer) and, with one exception, they have the great disadvantage of being very slow to produce decent traffic. This is because it takes a lot of time/effort and money to get them to rank high in the search engines and bring worthwile traffic in.

The exception is when you 'piggy back' your blog on a domain that already has very high traffic and activity and therefore has high 'authority' in the eyes of the search engines hence they rank you blog higher and faster.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:49 PM
WAHM Regular

If you don't have a website, what were some of the ways that you generated traffic and conversions?
Thanks
Old 01-15-2013, 06:43 PM
WAHM Regular

get your feet wet using google sites

sites.google.com

everything is laid out for you for the most part, you just need to develop the content....or use blogger to get your feet wet, that's even easier than google sites

what would your content topic be or what do you know about ?

Passive Income 2013 - Creating A Passive Income Business
Old 01-15-2013, 10:16 PM
WAHM Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tish1234 View Post
Not going to sugar coat anything...

It's going to be VERY difficult to make good $ doing affiliate marketing without a blog/site.

I write the content on my blogs/sites. I also use PLR (private label rights) and have guest bloggers, sponsored posts, etc.

If you want to get started the right way, I would get a domain name, hosting account and start with Wordpress (self hosted). Affiliate marketing is a business, so it should be treated like one.

It really helps to be passionate or at least interested in your chosen topic.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:20 AM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angienewton View Post
Not going to sugar coat anything...

It's going to be VERY difficult to make good $ doing affiliate marketing without a blog/site.

I write the content on my blogs/sites. I also use PLR (private label rights) and have guest bloggers, sponsored posts, etc.

If you want to get started the right way, I would get a domain name, hosting account and start with Wordpress (self hosted). Affiliate marketing is a business, so it should be treated like one.

It really helps to be passionate or at least interested in your chosen topic.
Maybe you didn't read my post above closely - I developed a full time income on a part-time basis without a blog. With the one exception I mentioned blogs are the slow way to go.

I built good traffic from day one using:

1) Safelists
2) Solo Emails

And within a month:

1) Pay Per View
2) Media Buys

Nothing wrong with a blog (It's not free traffic BTW) but how long does it usually take to attract 1000 prospective buyers a day. Unless you're 'piggy backing' on an authority site (and please, not Blogger!) it could well take 3 to 6 months.

I call that really slow, with low income over the period and high opportunity cost.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:36 AM
WAHM Regular

I've had some success with safelist as well. I especially like the ones where they forced you to read a minimum of 10 emails first before you can send an email.
I will say that the reason I've had some success with safelist is because I marketed to specific traffic. Most of the people who are reading the safelist are looking for signup as well so I usually market something that will help them get those sign ups. I don't know if I would have the same success selling something else like candles or shoes though.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:59 AM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrandia View Post
I've had some success with safelist as well. I especially like the ones where they forced you to read a minimum of 10 emails first before you can send an email.
I will say that the reason I've had some success with safelist is because I marketed to specific traffic. Most of the people who are reading the safelist are looking for signup as well so I usually market something that will help them get those sign ups. I don't know if I would have the same success selling something else like candles or shoes though.
No you wouldn't - for those you would be better using:

1) Pay Per View
2) Media Buys
3) Pay Per Click
Old 01-16-2013, 09:21 PM
WAHM Regular

I agree it is hard to not have a blog and capture page to start capturing your own email list to market too. There are some good affiliate marketing training programs out there which I would recommend though to start before spending too much money on advertising.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:36 AM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisadlastdegree View Post
I agree it is hard to not have a blog and capture page to start capturing your own email list to market too. There are some good affiliate marketing training programs out there which I would recommend though to start before spending too much money on advertising.
Broadly speaking I agree with all you've said - with one caveat. Most of the affiliate marketing training programs (which all cost between $30 to $50 a month) tend to be too diverse in the training they offer for anyone who wishes, as I suggest they should, on the most important aspect of affiliate marketing, getting tons of targeted, ready to buy, prospects/customers in front of their offers.

There are specific training offers on all the methods I've previously written about for a one time cost of less than $50 and I suggest these are better value.