SEO experience

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I am clueless when it comes to seo stuff and I am not sure howthis works in regards to indexing but how important is it to understand seo order to create traffic?
    Thanks
  • It's a very important piece to your business. I would search Google for info on keyword research and search engine optimization.
  • I always say follow the basics. 3 basics of SEO are:

1. Content: Make sure you have quality, original content on your sites and blogs and add to it on a regular basis.

2. Keywords: Try to use keywrods and keyword phrases in your content, but don't over do it. Keywords are words and phrases people might type in to find your site on Google, Yahoo, etc. in a search engine search.

3. Backlinks: Create relevant backlinks. A backlink is just a link to your site or blog that you place on another site.

Hope this helps.
  • In my opinion SEO has become more and more difficult and having just a little knowledge can be very dangerous. If you do the wrong things it can be more harmful than not doing any SEO.

I would not recommend taking random advice like what you will find by searching Google. There is a lot of out-of-date and inaccurate advice out there, especially after the Google updates of that last couple years. Try to find someone who does SEO for a living and comes highly recommended.

The good news is that you are starting from scratch and if you do it right from the beginning you'll have much better results. It's much harder to recover from SEO mistakes.

You might get quicker results with other marketing methods (such as social media marketing). SEO will take some time to learn and time to see results.
  • Quote: It's a very important piece to your business. I would search Google for info on keyword research and search engine optimization.

Thanks. I've been doing that. I also find out how important keyword and meta tags. Boy is this stuff getting technical. I thought I could just build a site and start advertising but it's a whole lot more to it than just that at least if you want to be successful,
  • Search engine optimisation uses a number of tactics to draw the attention of search engines to your site. The idea behind SEO is to make your site fit as closely as possible with the searches performed with your target market. This is achieved by streamlining the elements within the site in order to make it more easily read by search engines. Of course, making your site easy for a search engine to find is only part of the journey. SEO is also designed to help make your site appear the most relevant to the searches your target viewers are likely to make. This is what makes SEO such a tricky game to play

How do you get Google to index your site?

This is very simple. Regardless of the type of site (html, flash, CMS or PHP), you want Google to index your pages because that’s the only way you can be visible for a search query on Google. The best way to do this is submitting a sitemap to Google through Google Webmaster Central. Webmasters ? Google
  • Quote: I am clueless when it comes to seo stuff and I am not sure howthis works in regards to indexing but how important is it to understand seo order to create traffic?
    Thanks
    My recommendation is to remain clueless, seo these days is like building on shifting sand.

And it's sooo slow to get any decent traffic in most cases, the only exception being if you're 'piggy-backing' your blog on a site that already has great collective traffic and therefore authority in the eyes of the search engines.

Going it alone is a really hard road to travel these days.

BTW, if you're determined to do your own thing, don't go searching randomly for information on seo (most is old, most is outdated and much of it is completely wrong). My success started from a structured 6 month course on blogging.
  • Quote: I always say follow the basics. 3 basics of SEO are:

1. Content: Make sure you have quality, original content on your sites and blogs and add to it on a regular basis.

2. Keywords: Try to use keywrods and keyword phrases in your content, but don't over do it. Keywords are words and phrases people might type in to find your site on Google, Yahoo, etc. in a search engine search.

3. Backlinks: Create relevant backlinks. A backlink is just a link to your site or blog that you place on another site.

Hope this helps.
    well said, really great tips
  • SEO is important
    SEO is indeed important. It helps you get found by the search engine most especially with high quality content regardless of what Google does with its algorithm.

However, with the advent of social networking the playing field has widen. You can now use FB, Twitter, Pinterest, among many others to do business.

Good luck!
  • Quote: SEO is indeed important. It helps you get found by the search engine most especially with high quality content regardless of what Google does with its algorithm.

Good luck!
    I have to challenge that - it may have relevance now but the truth is that no-one knows what Google will do with their ranking algorithm down the track.

The fact is you can have the greatest, most interesting and most informative content in the world (and some good keyword research and both on page and off page SEO to back it up) and at any time in the future Google could decide to make a change that cause your flow of potential buyers to slow up.

Already they're showing a tendency to lower the ranking of any site that's not an authority site with hundreds of pages and posts, and thousands of visitors a month, no matter how good the content is.

So... if you're just starting how long will it take to rank high? Too long (unless you want to die hungry )

The only way to short circuit the abysmally slow growth, and to future proof your efforts, is to 'piggy back' on someone else's authority blog site. Squidoo is an example and there are others.