Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:21 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Cool Affiliate Marketing Via Pinterest

If you aren't yet using Pinterest for your affiliate marketing you are missing out! Pinterest is known for bringing in a ton load of traffic!! You can't go wrong!! I have just started offering services for people who want me to get their pinterest accounts moving in the right direction so they can take over and start bringing in traffic!

Check into Pinterest!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2012, 03:15 AM
Super WAHM

Thanks for the heads up, this is interesting. I just joined Pinterest and must admit I haven't jumped in much to check it out so I don't see the potential yet. Can you elaborate?
Old 03-27-2012, 04:26 AM
Awesome WAHM

I've heard others say that Pinterest is bringing them decent traffic. I started using it and then backed off because I haven't been able to resolve the question of copyright issues for myself. What's your take on the copyright issues?
Old 03-27-2012, 09:41 AM
WAHM Regular

Linda this is both my husband's and my stance as marketers right now. There's just too much gray area with Pinterest's copyright issues for me to dive in head first. It became such a huge concern after a Pinterest user named Kirsten k whos a lawyer and photographer deleted her entire pins and pinterest account.

She was mortified after reading their terms of agreement and privacy policy which basically said you're the sole person responsible for any and all legal issues that arise with the pinning and repinning of copyrighted images. Pin and share all you want but we're not responsible when the copyright owner decides to sue you for unauthorized use of their photo.

In essence you're doing what the site owners intended for you to do and it's created explosive growth for pinterest, but at the same time they want nothing to do with the legal consequences. That's not fair to us the users. It got so bad that Pinterest founder Ben Silbermann persoanlly called the ex-member to address her legal concerns and how to possibly fix them to protect Pinterest members from lawsuits.

It's a great marketing tool but right now it has so many legal bugs againts its users.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:50 PM
Super WAHM

Default Pinterest Changed TOS

With all the legal issues lately with Pinterest they actually changed their terms of service and sent out an email on March 24th.

Here is my "pin" of it.

This is the email I received from Pinterest:
===================

Updated Terms of Service

Over the last few weeks, we've been working on an update to our Terms. When we first launched Pinterest, we used a standard set of Terms. We think that the updated Terms of Service, Acceptable Use Policy, and Privacy Policy are easier to understand and better reflect the direction our company is headed in the future. We'd encourage you to read these changes in their entirety, but we thought there were a few changes worth noting.

Our original Terms stated that by posting content to Pinterest you grant Pinterest the right for to sell your content. Selling content was never our intention and we removed this from our updated Terms.
We updated our Acceptable Use Policy and we will not allow pins that explicitly encourage self-harm or self-abuse.
We released simpler tools for anyone to report alleged copyright or trademark infringements.
Finally, we added language that will pave the way for new features such as a Pinterest API and Private Pinboards.
We think these changes are important and we encourage you to review the new documents here. These terms will go into effect for all users on April 6, 2012.

Like everything at Pinterest, these updates are a work in progress that we will continue to improve upon. We're working hard to make Pinterest the best place for you to find inspiration from people who share your interest. We've gotten a lot of help from our community as we've crafted these Terms.

Thanks!

Ben & the Pinterest Team
Old 04-03-2012, 05:43 AM
Awesome WAHM

The change in the TOS doesn't address the copyright issues for me. I personally don't want to pin anything that the copyright owner hasn't given express permission for sharing. That makes it very difficult for me to repin anything.

I've uploaded a few of my own images and I've repinned some things from others who appear to be uploading their own stuff. But it's not easy to find those.

Priya, are you using Pinterest at all? If so how are you finding things to pin?
Old 04-03-2012, 06:21 AM
WAHM Regular

Good morning fellow wahms hope all is well and finding you happy. Linda, I'm glad you asked. I actually started using Pinterest this past weekend and what prompted the change was a referral link I noticed in my web statistics tool from Pinterest to my business blog Entrepreneurrookie.com. I had to investigate it and it turns out a guy pinned one of the business related photos from my site and I was actually pretty happy about it. I encourage sharing of my site photos, but that's not everybody. Now I know I should at least start pinning some of my more interesting photos to see what kind of user interest I get.

But like many other pinterest users I found great and captivating photos to pin BUT sadly they're copyrighted works so I pass on them. You made a good point also. To now find great royalty free images pinning, I'm forced to search high and low through the system to find users that own the images they pin. So I resist the temptation to pin those amazing easy to find copyright images that will get me in trouble. They have to really figure this legal issue out. The updated TOS still doesn't fix the problem, it simply clarify what their intended use is for the uploaded content.

I have an Idea for them. Like any other intellectual property issue, copyright holders are appeased when they see a financial incentive. Since Pinterest is growing so fast, why not allow copyright holders to get paid every time a unique user pins or repins their photos. This is their goal anyway, to eventually turn all those users into advertising revenue. It would be like a revenue sharing program such as Youtube Partners or Google Adsense. Lot's of pins equal lots of pay for those who produce great copyrighted content. Pinterest of course keeps the bigger percentage of the pay. Users would now clammer to keep producing top notch photos which can only be a win for Pinterest.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:05 AM
WAHM Regular

EcoConsciousMom I also wanted to say thank you for posting that updated pinterest TOS. I read it also last week and intended to share it here, but had to take care of pending business and family tasks, you know how it is :-).
Old 04-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Awesome WAHM

Thanks for the webinar link. I'll definitely listen to that.

Priya, I'm with you on the problem of finding user-owned images. It's not easy. I think a lot of people just don't understand copyright. I don't really understand it all either of course, but where others just seem to ignore it, I prefer to err on the side of caution and will pass rather than chance infringing. I think you're absolutely right - financial incentives almost always lead to a solution.

It will be very interesting to see how it all plays out.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:30 PM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpriya View Post
I have an Idea for them. Like any other intellectual property issue, copyright holders are appeased when they see a financial incentive. Since Pinterest is growing so fast, why not allow copyright holders to get paid every time a unique user pins or repins their photos. This is their goal anyway, to eventually turn all those users into advertising revenue. It would be like a revenue sharing program such as Youtube Partners or Google Adsense. Lot's of pins equal lots of pay for those who produce great copyrighted content. Pinterest of course keeps the bigger percentage of the pay. Users would now clammer to keep producing top notch photos which can only be a win for Pinterest.
That would definitely be a good suggestion for them. And you are welcome for sharing the TOS.

Recently Pinterest did release a meta-tag code for people to opt-out of letting their website visitors Pin their images. Here it is in case you were curious:

<meta name="pinterest" content="nopin" />

The problem is that not everyone knows 1) that it exists and 2) how to implement it.

Flickr just added this in to their system so users can opt-out of sharing via pins. Apparently Flickr users really tend to not like Pinterest. And it makes me wonder why. I can understand people want to retain their right, but isn't the point of putting them online that people will see them? Especially if you are a photographer?

And not just with Flickr, but businesses. Pinterest, while it would be nice for them to have approval first of pinning images, is giving them exposure (free marketing, hello), links to their site (interested buyers maybe?), and backlink juice to build them up in the eyes of the search engines (Google especially). So it's marketing for them without their part, sending free traffic directly and indirectly making their site more SEO friendly.

I just can't see why someone would not like this. The Flickr issue doesn't make sense as it's not their personal website. But does anyone have an idea or example of a reason why they would not want this?