Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:22 AM
WAHM Regular

Default Blogger with a Custom Domain

I purchased a custom domain for my blogger blog, but still use it for some affiliate marketing. Blogger allows Google Adsense and Amazon affiliate links, but I am also including some Clickbank affiliate links and might start adding some Share-A-Sale links. I have read where Blogger has shut down some blogs for affiliate marketing with no notice. Does anyone know if they can also freely shut down blogs with a custom domain? If so, I may just stick with Google Adsense and Amazon on my blog and do some related posts on Squidoo with other affiliate links and link back to my blog, also.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2010, 03:31 PM
WAHM Master

Yes, even with your own domain Blogger owns your blog and can do whatever they want with it. If you are really looking to build a business through affiliate marketing why chance it? I would say leave your blog as is and start a new Wordpress blog (self hosted through a company like Host Gator) with your domain or have someone transfer your Blogger blog over to a WP blog.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:30 PM
WAHM Regular

Agreed. Blogger is easy to get started on, but if you get more serious about affiliate marketing, you really should learn Wordpress and move your blog over there with paid (cheap) hosting. Good luck!
Old 11-09-2010, 01:06 AM
WAHM Regular

I think that Wordpress is better than blogger in almost any way (SEO, friendly to use, looks). Start a new Wordpress blog (free) and surely you will get better results.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:28 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliej View Post
I have read where Blogger has shut down some blogs for affiliate marketing with no notice. Does anyone know if they can also freely shut down blogs with a custom domain?
Yes - I'm afraid they can and they do. Whether you have a custom domain or not doesn't affect whether they decide you're breaching the Blogspot terms of service: you're still hosting there, whether it's under your own domain-name or a Blogspot sub-domain.

It's arguable that if you remove the "Blogger-bar" from across the top of the blog, that makes it harder for people to report your blog, and might therefore lengthen your life-expectancy there ... but then again, there are people who say they've got into trouble for removing that, too.

If it's your business that's at stake, it's just not worth the risk. However many people there are who've had blogs there for years and never had a problem (and there are plenty), I wouldn't dream of it, myself.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynearln View Post
I think that Wordpress is better than blogger in almost any way (SEO, friendly to use, looks). Start a new Wordpress blog (free) and surely you will get better results.
The problem with this suggestion is that wordpress.com (the free version) does NOT allow affiliate links or advertising. Either way, she's in danger of possibly losing her work, but even more so if she goes with wordpress.com.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:17 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura B View Post
The problem with this suggestion is that wordpress.com (the free version) does NOT allow affiliate links or advertising. Either way, she's in danger of possibly losing her work, but even more so if she goes with wordpress.com.
Yes. Don't go with the free version of wordpress. Simply buy a domain and hosting that has Fantastico. You can automatically upload wordpress.org blog using fantastico in your hosting user panel at no additional charge. Domains and shared hosting plans are relatively cheap when it comes to business start up costs. Treat your affiliate business as a business. That's my advice.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:14 PM
WAHM Regular

Default When they own the forum...

they can cancel you if they want.

Tags
blogger