Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Sales & Marketing > Affiliate Marketing

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:11 PM
WAHM Regular

Question Question about EzineArticles

I'm thinking about submitting some articles on Ezine to link back to my affiliate website, based on some other threads I've read here. However, I am still confused about duplicate content.

If I have an article already published on my own website, can I publish that on Ezine as well?

Does Google consider that duplicate content? Why not?

What does "syndication" mean?

The reason this is so confusing as that I find 2 rules of thought on this:

http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...-articles.html

vs.

http://www.anxietymadewell.com/anxie...cles-and-digg/

Last edited by GirlyGurl; 10-26-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2010, 12:25 AM
Registered WAHM

Google is a very fickle thing to understand, If we all knew the answers we would be rich however Google likes to point us all in the right direction!

It says
-" in some cases, content is deliberately duplicated across domains in an attempt to manipulate search engine rankings or win more traffic. Deceptive practices like this can result in a poor user experience, when a visitor sees substantially the same content repeated within a set of search results."

-Duplicate content on a site is not grounds for action on that site unless it appears that the intent of the duplicate content is to be deceptive and manipulate search engine results. If your site suffers from duplicate content issues, and you don't follow the advice listed above, we do a good job of choosing a version of the content to show in our search results.-

I advise anyone to read up on Google webmaster tools, THIS is where I learned about SEO, and all information is free. Getting help - Webmaster Tools Help

good luck
Lisa
Old 10-27-2010, 03:01 AM
WAHM Regular

I think that duplicate content (penalty) means copying a whole site and not just one article, you can submit your article to many article directories without afraid of being penalized.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:25 AM
WAHM Regular

That's a great question and one I've had trouble with. Thanks, Lisa, for the clarification. If I remember correctly, I believe I was told to alter the article, even if just a little bit. I'm not entirely sure, but I think this was important, even though it was content I had written myself and was only on my own website. That was a few years ago, though.

Janet
Old 10-27-2010, 11:26 AM
Super WAHM

Ezine Articles allows you to use articles that are already on your website as long as they are original.

It's not considered duplicate content since it was already indexed on your site first.

Actually the only penalty for duplicate content is if you have the same content on multiple pages of your site. If it's on another site, it won't get penalized but it probably won't get much rank either since Google only "rewards" the original content source.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:45 AM
WAHM Regular

Ok. Thanks for the responses. I read somewhere that if you post on ezine you are syndicating your article. That is another confusion of mine. Do you know what that means exactly? I am currently of the impression that syndicated articles are indexed multiple times on different domains. Like a news story is. Is that correct? After it us published on ezine are others authorized to use the article on their own sites with the resource box linking back to mine?
Old 10-27-2010, 11:49 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyGurl View Post
Ok. Thanks for the responses. I read somewhere that if you post on ezine you are syndicating your article. That is another confusion of mine. Do you know what that means exactly? I am currently of the impression that syndicated articles are indexed multiple times on different domains. Like a news story is. Is that correct? After it us published on ezine are others authorized to use the article on their own sites with the resource box linking back to mine?
Oh that's right. Weirdly enough, I forgot about that part of the deal. Yes, you have to agree to let others publish your article but only if they include your resource box. And of course, you want them to publish your article and resource box.

Janet
Old 10-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Super WAHM

Yep, you are correct.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:16 PM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
If I have an article already published on my own website, can I publish that on Ezine as well?
There's an enormous amount of confusion about this (even in the Warrior Forum!), but it's actually a completely straightforward question, and the answer is "yes".

Here's how I know:-

(i) I recently joined EZA as a new author, and have been receiving the introductory email series they send out to all new authors opting in for it (which is excellent). This is very well clarified in it. They specifically invite authors to submit to them, unchanged and unedited, any articles already published on their own sites/blogs;

(ii) One of my best friends does this for a living, and like many other professional article marketers, has hundreds of her articles on EZA (under lots of different pen-names) all of which were originally published on her own sites and indexed there prior to EZA submission;

(iii) EZA has available a special Wordpress plugin for people to use to publish their articles on their own sites first and later submit them to EZA for inclusion there.

Quote:
Does Google consider that duplicate content?
No.

Quote:
Why not?
Because it isn't duplicate content.

"Duplicate content" is text content of which there's more than one copy within one website.

An article that's first published on one site and then on others (just like thousands of news stories all over the internet from press agencies) isn't duplicate content at all: it's syndicated content.

Quote:
What does "syndication" mean?
Re-publication on a different site without editing, amending, altering or "spinning".

The purpose of submitting articles to EZA is for them to be syndicated. That's why it's called Ezine Articles. They're articles for ezines. (Many people these days call ezines "email newsletters" instead). And for websites. When you submit an article to EZA, the objective is to get it syndicated on other people's websites (and in their ezines!) with your resource-box intact. This gets your work in front of other people's targeted audiences and gets you backlinks, traffic, opt-ins and sales from their readers. You can end up on some high-PR authority sites that way (if your writing's good enough, of course). They get free content for their site, and you get free targeted traffic and backlinks to yours. That's the deal. (And EZA "puts the parties together" and makes their income from the AdSense all over their site.)

The backlink and traffic from the EZA copy itself may also be of some (temporary) benefit, but that's not the main aim of "article marketing" at all.

The important thing, though, in the long run, is to have your articles indexed on your own site before you submit them to EZA. There's one thread in the Warrior Forum which explains this in great detail. It's a long thread, full of good, useful, incidental conversation and explanations about other aspects of article marketing too. It's very, very well worth reading slowly and carefully, because it answers a lot of questions in a clear way. Here it is.

PS ... there are some exchanges of views in that thread, and a few people who don't know what they're talking about at all but are still trying to "advise people", but for anyone who doesn't quickly work it out for themselves, the real experts in that thread who are well informed and right in everything they say are: Alexa Smith, Allen Graves, Kay King, JayXtreme, Peter Gibson, and James Stein (who posts there, for reasons best known to himself, under the name "TheRichJerksNet" though he has no connection with the original infamous "Rich Jerk"!).

Last edited by Yuliya Mironova; 10-27-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:43 PM
WAHM Regular

Thank you so much for the lengthly explanation of sydication. This helps a lot.

I will read through the thread on Warrior Forum. Truthfully, I find so much confusion on the Google Blog and forums out there (and horror stories) about duplicate content even on different domains that I will probably just play it safe and write unique articles for Ezine. Perhaps the horror stories aren't true, but I have worked too hard for my current rankings and traffic to jeopardize it. Although publishing new articles on Ezine should still bring me some backlinks and be beneficial in the long run.

I found this a very interesting read, of which the link was posted by Google on their blog, so I take it they agree with it:
Ranking As The Original Source For Content You Syndicate - Nine By Blue

Tags
affiliate marketing, articles, ezine, submitting articles