WAHM.com DVD Rentals
WAHM Links
WAHMEE Award
WAHM.com Undercover
Ask Jane
Recipes
WAHM question
WAHM advice

Note: This is an archived topic. It is read-only.
  WAHM.com Boards
  Best of WAHM.com Posts
  Do Real Opportunities Exist? (Page 3)

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3 
This topic was originally posted in this forum: Join the Discussions, Meet other WAHMs - NO ADS!
Author Topic:   Do Real Opportunities Exist?
ginariginal
WAHM.com regular
posted November 03, 2002 08:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ginariginal   Click Here to Email ginariginal     
How come your Health Coach site looks like just another work frolm home "thing"?

Just bumpin' the thread!

Gina

------------------
Get into the Women-Owned Business Desktop Reference!! http://www.id-energy.com/Links.html

G i n a R. R i t t e r
Personal Coach
http://www.id-Energy.com
Find the happiness and time you deserve with work, family, and women's issues!

Treece
WAHM.com regular
posted November 04, 2002 08:44 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Treece     
Kelly,

I haven't been here in a while, but great post! Why not submit it as an article to "Working Women" or "Woman's Day" and get some $$ for it.

I think we should have a "best of" board that includes the great posts. That way, newcomers can head right for the best advice and you won't have to keep repeating yourself over and over.

Treece

igloochik
WAHM.com regular
posted November 11, 2002 11:35 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for igloochik   Click Here to Email igloochik     
Treece,

I have to agree with you. The very best posts should have a place where they're easily accessible.

Bumping this thread back up to the top!

Kelly

jenandjosh
New to WAHM.com
posted November 11, 2002 03:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jenandjosh   Click Here to Email jenandjosh     
I was in your same situation in July. I am a stay-at-home mom of 1 who is now 1 yr. old, we needed some extra income, but did not want to put Josh in daycare. A friend of ours introduced us to Excel. Take a look at my web site www.excelir.com/jenniferbrown if you have any questions call me, email me, whatever. I pretty much run my business during nap time and whenever he wants to play by himself for a while. The thing about this oppertunity that interested me the most is that you can do it at your pace and your comfort level. It is possible to generate upwards of 1 million a year but it can be whatever you want it to be. As far as huge investments go, if you contact me before December, I can get your investment back within a month. Good luck in your search, let me know if I can help.
quote:
Originally posted by sahm1:
Ok, I hope no one takes this the wrong way, I don't intend to put anyone down in any way. Please understand that before you go on.

I am seriously trying to find work from home. I recently resigned from my away from home job to be a stay at home mom. That said, I came to this forum for some insight into what real opportunities are out there to make real money while still being able to care for my baby. What I've discovered is a lot of people asking the same questions and requesting positive or negative info on all the billions of "work at home jobs" out there (real or scams). Then they receive that...both positive and negative usually for the same biz and are probably left still wondering or just moving on to the next appealing ad. So my question is this. Is there anyone out there who can truly say they have a work at home job that is legit, lucrative, and do-able timewise and moneywise while cooking, cleaning, caring for their children, grocery shopping, running errands, and hopefully sleeping. As well as something you don't have to put a fortune into to start up. If so, are there still opportunities for others to get a piece of the pie?

I'm just really getting frustrated, as I can tell others are as well. And some people have their biz sites at the end of their replies but don't often offer their opportunity to those asking. I'm starting to feel like everything out there is either 1. a scam
2. too costly to start
3. takes an unreasonable amount of time with not much return (moneywise)

Let me know!!!

Jess

avonladymn
WAHM.com regular
posted November 11, 2002 09:40 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for avonladymn   Click Here to Email avonladymn     
I think personally to succeed there must be a willingness to succeed.

A home business does not happen over night. You have to work hard and put effort into your business. I have 2 children (2yo and 4mo) and that in itself is a full time job and the most important for me.

However, I still choose to be a part of the business world. The best thing about what I do (not only being home with my kids), I get to meet new people! I moved to a new city 3 months ago and knew nobody. Now I know all of my neighbors, have gotten involved in local community events, meet a minimum of 3 people a day and I have fun doing it!

Yeah there are some days I am really really tired but heck I was that way before kids and working 50-60 hours per week.

I'm much happier now than I have ever been and every little success I have with Avon makes me even happier. Kind of like when my 4mo daughter rolled over for the first time this past weekend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jennifer Strumbel
River Street Avon Lady
(763) 295-3492 or (888) 550-6999
[email protected] www.youravon.com/jstrumbel rep. passcode: avon

igloochik
WAHM.com regular
posted January 14, 2003 10:36 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for igloochik   Click Here to Email igloochik     
Bumping this thread back up to the top where it can be read by new people joining us. Welcome to WAHM!

igloochik
WAHM.com regular
posted January 15, 2003 05:17 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for igloochik   Click Here to Email igloochik     
booting it back up again! Great information from all the ladies here!

nellers
WAHM.com regular
posted January 15, 2003 05:58 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for nellers   Click Here to Email nellers     
Work at home jobs do exist that are great money makers. I have heard sucess stories and I have seen great jobs.

I have had a hard time because I am super picky and need a job that will guarentee me to make at least 2,000 a month , before taxes , and work me a good 30-40 hours a week. Beleive it or not thats hard to find. much much easier to find part time work.

I tried NHCD , Procard , Mom team..e.tc. Those did not work for me. Ended up putting more money and time into it then it was worth. I am looking for a job , not a business.

I have found many great thinsg on this bard... such as www.cyphercontractors.com www.scribesguild.com www.sterlingtesting.com etc.

I belong to many many job lists and job sites that have agreat jobs on. Its a lot of compition out there but I know sooner or later I will find that job that I need and want.

I will just keep looking.

I also am involved in a couple programs that are going to bring in about 4,000 a month in less then a year , but even with that money maker coming up... I still am a work-o-holic and need to keep myself busy! So , I will continue my search.

Good luck and hope that you find something soon!

------------------
Nell
Moderator(Telecommuting moms & Cypher)

nellers
WAHM.com regular
posted January 15, 2003 06:00 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for nellers   Click Here to Email nellers     
By the way , the reason I dont work for scribes is because their tool doesnt work on my computer and sterling couldnt geive me enough hours... i work very part time for cypher doing data entry and coding for extra money on the side.

------------------
Nell

igloochik
WAHM.com regular
posted January 16, 2003 01:16 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for igloochik   Click Here to Email igloochik     
Nell,

There's a lot of difference between a home business opportunity and a home job--and the home jobs are very few and far between, and normally require some kind of specialized skills. People who know computer programming are more likely to get a home job via the computer than anyone else--perhaps you could take classes or something?

Just a suggestion...I mean, in my search I looked for at least a couple of years for that elusive home job...before I decided to take the plunge into a home business. There simply wasn't anything out there that I was qualified for.

Good luck!

Kelly Sutton
Watkins Manager and
Personal Business Coach
Visit my site and receive FREE home business tips!

lighthouselady
New to WAHM.com
posted January 16, 2003 02:32 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for lighthouselady   Click Here to Email lighthouselady     
If you have a company that gives good support. A consumable product with mass appeal. An upline support team that is truly interested in your personal success and is willing to mentor and coach you through the learning process coupled with a duplicatable system anyone can succeed in network marketing. The main thing you have to remember is THE PRICE FOR SUCCESS IS PAID IN ADVANCE! It takes commitment and hard work to get to your goal, whether it be an extra $500 per month or $10,000 per month it can be done but it is up to you.

I can recommend a company that has over 6 years history that sells nearly $40,000,000. wholesale volume per month and operates in over 50 countries. They have paid over $800 Million dollars in commisions to their distributors since July of 1996 and have a 95% share of their market worldwide. Best of all it costs only $35.00 to be a distributor. The company is Tahitian Noni International, visit my husband and my web site at http://www.leskruse.com for more information or email me direct.

Ret

monahope
New to WAHM.com
posted January 17, 2003 10:50 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for monahope   Click Here to Email monahope     
Excellent advise!

Sounds like we have some very smart and experienced women posting here!

My only advise would be to do what you LOVE to do! If you have a passion for your work...it won't seem like work at all.

I have worked at home for over 10 years...and I love it! I can't wait to wake up and tackle the day sharing my product and business opportunity!

Do your homework, research each opportunity and follow your heart! The right business is out there waiting for you!

------------------
Mona Hope
http://www.monahope.com
Indepependent Distributor for Tahitian Noni International

shaystead
WAHM.com regular
posted January 17, 2003 11:18 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for shaystead   Click Here to Email shaystead     
Hi, Jess!

I know how you feel. I am totally unwilling to give my money to a company I've never heard of. I've tried a gazillion marketing programs, and they all stunk!

Then I was surfing the Web one night and found the Avon site. I thought, "I wonder if I could be an online Avon Rep." So I signed up, and within 2 days, my District Sales Manager called me.

The next Thursday, we met at a restaurant nearby. I asked a TON of questions - I wanted to make sure I wasn't losing anything. I liked what I heard, and after paying a $10 start-up fee, I was on my way!

When I paid the $10, I got a really cool planner called the "Success by Design" planner, catalogs for my customers, samples, and a bunch of other things. What's more, when I placed my first online order, I received a free full-size product, so I got my money back almost immediately.

Another thing that's nice is that you will be in business for yourself, not by yourself. Brenda, the DSM, has been really helpful. In fact, everyone at Avon is very supportive.

You can do your sales outside of your home or you can be an e-Representative and do the work from your computer. I do both, and I've done really well. You can also get into leadership, or recruiting, be a beauty advisor, or even open a kiosk in a mall! The possibilities are endless.

When I started in early December, my goal was to earn enough money to buy a pair of jeans for myself. Boy, did I blow that one away. Two weeks ago, I bought a new refrigerator with the money I earned with Avon. The best part is, I'm having fun and still have tons of time with my kids.

If any of this sounds appealing to you, please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] or go to www.youravon.com/shaystead and click on "sign up now." You won't be disappointed!

Sara

igloochik
WAHM.com regular
posted January 17, 2003 12:47 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for igloochik   Click Here to Email igloochik     
Ladies,

Let's really, really try hard not to just post here as an excuse to include an ad.

The purpose of this thread is to help people understand that there are many factors involved in deciding on a home business, that there are a lot of scams out there, how to figure out the difference, and the truths regarding home businesses.

We can give some helpful advice here, all of us--without just posting ads. One of the things we need to teach others considering home business is how to CONTRIBUTE to an online community...and not simply use them for ad dumping grounds.

Kelly Sutton

nellers
WAHM.com regular
posted January 19, 2003 12:07 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for nellers   Click Here to Email nellers     
Okay , first of all I have tried "businesses" before and they were a big ol waste of my time and money and , in my opinion , even harder to be succesful at then finding a job.

I too have seen that there are many jobs out there that are for skilled people...such as IT's. However , I have found many many more that are for moderatly skilled. I have skills and resent the notion that I have to go get training to get a job when you dont even know what I am skilled at!

I have years and year of sales , marketing , customer service , bookkeeping , admin. and management as well as data entry.

I have found a few jobs that are really great and that I was accepted to do however I have to have a full time income and thats what I'm having a hard time finding...not a job I am skilled at.

I dont think that people should get too upset about the notion that there are no good work at home jobs out there....becasue there are, It might take time to find and you might have to look and apply and be rejected often but they are out there.

I think more people get scammed by the notion that just anyone can open a business or be part of a business. Because most the time the anverage joe is going to sink a ton of money into it and not see proffit.

I'm glad that there are others out there that are in business and it worked for them , but thats not what I have found with all my sahm's and wahm's. As with anything there are ups and downs and some poeple will succeed and others will fail....but I know that there are good jobs out there to be worked from home... you have to just keep pushing to find it and not give up and have a great team of people to share and help you....like this place. I have found some of the most legit and best jobs here on this board...

So , anyway...not to come off as rude but I was offended that you read my post and somehow took out of that that I need to go get more skills.

------------------
Nell

nellers
WAHM.com regular
posted January 19, 2003 12:11 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for nellers   Click Here to Email nellers     
Also , I want to come to defense of the people here that offered info ont heir business....or jobs. I dont think that they used this topic as an excuse to place an ad , but rather that they wanted to share whats working well for them in hopes that it helps someone else who wants to start in business.

------------------
Nell

igloochik
WAHM.com regular
posted January 19, 2003 01:07 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for igloochik   Click Here to Email igloochik     
Nell,

I never said you didn't have good skills...I'm sure you do! Most of us do! We're trying to keep to the realities of the home business/home job market out there, and the reality is, unless you're doing some sort of specialized computer work, there aren't very many home jobs. Your skills may be great, and you may have years worth of experience--I know, I'm the same way!--but many people have spent months upon months of time (and who knows how much money) looking for these supposed home jobs out there that simply don't exist for most of us. For myself, instead of wasting any more of my time or money, I turned to a home business and did everything I could to make it work. For me, that worked. Everyone eventually finds their niche. If I hadn't STOPPED looking for these elusive jobs, I'd still be broke, still be searching, and wouldn't have anything to show for it. I'm MUCH further along and MUCH closer to working entirely from home now--(I'm almost there!)which was my goal, which is the goal a lot of women who come here are hopefully wishing to achieve.

All of us have something to offer the people who come here--this thread is a wealth of experience from many people who have "been there, done that".

I truly wish there were statistics somewhere that show how much money the average person loses on the "scam jobs" out there--the outdated or inaccurate "job lists" that people purchase, the start-up fees for pyramid and ponzi schemes, etc., the "send 5.00 to everyone on the list and then promote the heck out of it" scams, the "home clerical" jobs, etc. I would like to think that, with our posts here, that we can help the new people who come onto the web--the ones who are seeing all of these "make lots of money from home doing data entry" so-called jobs, the ones that are seeing the websites that promise a lot of money in a short period of time, that we can help those new people to avoid the scams, assess what skills they do have, and if the home jobs aren't out there, that to be careful even if they do decide on a business opportunity. We're trying to help people make good decisions on their quest to eventually work from home. I think we can all agree on that!

smiling_mom
WAHM.com regular
posted January 19, 2003 01:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for smiling_mom   Click Here to Email smiling_mom     
I think the issue between a home based business and a work from home job is this: JOB = MONEY NOW
BUSINESS = MONEY LATER.

If you need money NOW, you should be looking for a job. If you have some kind of financial support or income that can carry you through your first two to five years of starting a business, then a home-based business might be the way to go. The difference being this: Risk Level. The long-term advantages of running a business far outway the short-term advantages of a job.

Many out there have a job and also run a home-based business to fulfill any financial gaps and also to have something they can fall back on should the JOB let them down.

If you can find the right product, the right company, and the right fit for you, home-based business is the way to go "for the long run". Not to forget the tax advantages and the wonderful experience.

nellers
WAHM.com regular
posted January 19, 2003 03:08 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for nellers   Click Here to Email nellers     
I can see where you are coming from. WHen I first started my home job search I only found the NHCD's and Procards of the industry. But , recentyl I have been finding a ton more jobs that are a heck of a lot more legit. Yes , there will be a less chance of me getting a job like that but I will still try.

As far as long term , as I said earlier I have 3 programs I am with that will produce me at least 4,000 a month in about a year but I need 1500 a month now to quit my full time job....I dont want to wait another year if I dont have to and in all honesty , I may not have a year where I'm at as they have been downsizing through the whole company.

So , I do see the plus in a business and the plus in a job. If I didnt need money , if my man was the bread winner , I would quit now and just focus on the 3 programs....but I cant.

Now , as far as a good product...thats what I always have a hard time finding in a business....what would be considered a good product??? I am throwing out this good product/good business question so its okay to reply with your business and a little about it. I want to know.

Also , if anyone is still looking for a job , come down to the telecommuting moms forum on this site....we have a ton of job listings and many more to come. We really truly love to help one another out with our searches...as I think this is key. You have to have a group to support you and tell you if the job is a scam or a waste of time and money...also there are a bunch of great people on that forum who truly care about your search enough to send you jobs...

So , anyway. I see where your all coming from....I hope you see where I'm coming from.

------------------
Nell

lib2323
WAHM.com regular
posted January 19, 2003 03:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lib2323   Click Here to Email lib2323     
I have been sitting here and reading everyone's post. I do agree with some and disagree with others. Anything you do will require you to be active. I have a son and i can tell you somedays i feel like i can't do this, my job,my son, and housework. But then i think i have gone this far to getting myself a work at home job that i can do it just like everybody else. It's true as everybody knows there are some jobs that are legit but then there are others that are not and you just have to research ask questions and that's how i got here. owning my on biz. There are so many moms here that offer advice why not find one that has a job that you are interested in and ask her about it. That way you will have more answers than questions.

igloochik
WAHM.com regular
posted January 19, 2003 08:25 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for igloochik   Click Here to Email igloochik     
Ahh yes.. products (or services)...the things we sell. What makes them good to sell, or better to sell than something else?

I think first and foremost what constitutes a good product is one that excites YOU--because you're going to have to believe in the product enough to sell it, and if it excites you, you're going to like doing it, not avoid doing it. Whatever falls in line with your interests--that's why we seem to always be talking about "finding your passion".

Business-wise, looking at products to sell, I would think that the best things to sell are those that have a high reorder rate. That way, every time you sell to 100 customers, you don't necessarily have to go out and find 100 MORE customers.

Target-wise, I'd choose products that men and women would be interested in and use. If you choose products for only one half of the population, you cut down the number of people that would potentially be your customers.

Good quality products are important--they should be so good that YOU would use them. They need to be so good that you'd use them even if you DIDN'T sell them. (And if you're into selling anything, you SHOULD use the products you sell--you should be a "product of the product" so to speak). You wouldn't want to be telling everyone, "Yes, buy MY products...but I shop at Cheapie-Mart down the road." There has to be good reasons why you'd recommend the products you sell to others.

I'd steer away from "fad products"--ones that suddenly show up in the marketplace, because many of those fade away just as quickly as they show up. They may be good for a short-term, but normally they're not good to sell long-term. You can't build a successful business on fifteen minutes of fame, so to speak.

Then, I'd consider what people ARE buying, and why. Demographically, the population's largest segment is still the Baby Boomers--born from 1947 to 1964. These people as a group are getting older, and they don't like it. (I understand THAT!) They're also the segment of the population with the most money, too. If you've ever studied market trends with the Baby Boomers, this is the group that made Gerber baby food a success, that made McDonalds and Fisher Price toys the household names they are today.

What is this age group most interested in now? Feeling good and looking good, providing for their families after they're gone...

Anyone want to help me out here?

Kelly Sutton
Watkins Manager
Visit my site and get free home business tips!

nellers
WAHM.com regular
posted January 19, 2003 09:47 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for nellers   Click Here to Email nellers     
Kelly , thank you for the helpful info. I went to your site and filled out for more info on your business. Thank you for taking the time to talk to me.

------------------
Nell

deniseleigh
WAHM.com regular
posted January 21, 2003 04:24 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for deniseleigh   Click Here to Email deniseleigh     
BUMP!

athomeworker
WAHM.com regular
posted January 21, 2003 06:40 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for athomeworker   Click Here to Email athomeworker     
Nellers: I used to work in sales for the Knot, the bridal website. It is a base plus commission job with a 40 hour work week, and you work from home. Benefits too. Since you have a sales background, you should check them out. www.theknot.com they might have a job in your area. Me, I hated cold calling all day long - I know telesales is not for me. Many of the other bridal magazines (not modern bride, but the smaller regional ones, like I Do or Perfect Wedding Guide) also employ work from home salespeople.

alimom
WAHM.com regular
posted January 22, 2003 10:14 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for alimom   Click Here to Email alimom     
Anyone who has added to this wonderful thread, please see the 'Collaborate "Do Real Job Opportunities Exist"' thread started 1/22.

thanks,
Kathleen

Marg
WAHM.com regular
posted January 26, 2003 04:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Marg   Click Here to Email Marg     
Bump!

This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3 

All times are ET (US)

This is an ARCHIVED topic. You may not reply to it!
Hop to:

Contact Us | WAHM.com