Makes 4 Servings
- 1 tbsp. olive oil + 1 tbsp. butter
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Spanish onion, cut thinly into rings
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 8 cups of beef broth
- 2 tsp. of "Better Than Bouillon" beef base (or 2 beef bouillon cubes)
- 4 slices of toasted multigrain French bread, toasted
- 4 slices of mozzarella or Colby cheese (such as Sargento)
- Heat oil, butter and onions in a medium sized pot.
- Sprinkle onions with salt and pepper and allow to cook until soft and sweet.
- Sprinkle flour over surface of onions and gently stir to form a roux.
- Little by little, begin adding the beef broth, stirring as you go.
- Allow soup to simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Gently stir in beef bouillon until melted.
- Meanwhile turn oven to broil.
- Fill onion soup dishes with soup and top with pre-toasted bread.
- Cover top of bread with a slice of cheese and broil for 20-30 seconds until cheese is bubbly.
- Serve with toasted garlic bread for dipping.