A work at home mom job is a great way to earn money from home while still caring for your children. Being a working mom means that you can support your family with income and simultaneously take care of your home (in a fun and functional melding of home and work). A high paying work at home mom (or WAHM) job can provide your family with rent, a car or even a vacation depending on what is needed. If you'd like to find a job which pays well and which can be done from home, here are some tips to get you started.
Consider Your Talents
Many work at home jobs are available, so you should look for one which suits your abilities. If you enjoy arts and crafts, you could open your own business supplying products such as custom clothing or jewelry. Someone with a talent for baking could sell delicious baked goods. If you are a good writer or if you're good at picking out errors, you could be a freelance writer or editor. Someone with a knowledge of computers and art could be a freelance graphics artist, and so on. Think about what you're good at and enjoy doing, and come up with a potential job based on your abilities.
Find a Market
There are nearly infinite at-home job opportunities to be found on the internet. Depending on the job you want to do, you might consider some of these websites to begin selling your work or services.
- FreelanceWritingGigs.com and FreelanceWriting.com (for writers and editors)
- iFreelance.com (for all sorts of freelance work)
- CraigsList (to look for gigs or post your own ads)
- eBay and Etsy (to sell your services or products)
These are only a few of the websites which are available to you to begin finding work.
Since working from home is so convenient, there is no shortage of talented freelancers willing to fill the available jobs. So, it is important that you stand out if you want to build a client base and sell your services or products successfully. There are a number of ways to advertise yourself, so you might consider doing any of the following:
- Start your own website and make sure it is optimized for search engines. Hiring a talented web designer who knows about SEO content is a good idea if you don't know how to build a website yourself.
- Build a portfolio of your work and get customer testimonials. If you sell products, high quality pictures of your offerings are very important, so it's a good idea to invest in a good camera. If you sell services, have work samples easily available to show off your talents.
- Advertise within your community with flyers in public places. Positive word of mouth can bring you plenty of local clients.
Part of finding a client base is building connections with people who might be interested in your talents. Depending on what your work at home job is, try joining relevant forums and making friends within that online community. By discreetly having your website linked in your signature, there's no need to blatantly advertise within your posts themselves; anyone who is interested can click through without feeling like you're too pushy.
Some forum sites you might consider are:
- DesignersTalk.com (for web designers)
- FreelanceWriting.com (for writers)
- PetLovers.com (for pet day care owners)
- ChefTalk.com (for bakers)
- MathForum.org (for math tutors)
- SewingForum.com (for seamstresses)
Networking within a community which has an interest in your products or services can be a great way to make new friends and earn customers.
By using the internet to ingratiate yourself into a job market of your choice, and by standing out in that market, it's possible to make very good income as either a full or part-time work at home mom.