Most entrepreneurs put their business, their household duties and their family before anything else – especially before taking care of themselves.
Work at home moms have it especially hard – they never get out of the house and get away from the laundry, the dishes, the dirty bathrooms, the piles of toys, the cooking and their work. But as hard as it is to get away from it all, it should be a priority.
Finding that time away from it all makes us a happier and healthier partner, mom, worker and woman! "Me Time" helps us to de-stress, unwind and rejuvenate. And it’s not something you should feel guilty about. It gives you the time to relax, recharge and refocus on the other important duties of your life.
Now, I’m not talking about hours away at a spa, but even finding just 15 minutes of uninterrupted, relaxing "Me Time" can be challenging. Taking just a few minutes each and every day for yourself means making your own health and happiness a priority in both your business and personal life.
Here are some ideas on how you can give yourself some personal time each and every day:
- Take a morning coffee break. Everyone who works a four-hour shift outside of the home gets a break, so why not you? Get in the habit of taking a 15-minute break to enjoy your favorite cup of coffee. Don’t drink coffee? Then take a break outside, away from the computer and phone, and perhaps have a healthy snack instead.
- Make a workout appointment. Set a fitness schedule and stick to it. Literally put it on your calendar. This means your workout is non-negotiable and can only be missed in an emergency. This way, you get some time alone and time to take care of your health all at once.
- Work regular business hours. The hardest part of working from home is that you are never away from the office. Don’t let your business suffer, but if you can work from 9 to 5 and take the weekends off. If that’s not possible, then maybe once in a while unplug for a weekend or one night a week and take the much needed break.
- Reward yourself. After you hit a big deadline, come under budget on a project, or land a new client, reward yourself. Perhaps it’s a massage, a lunch out with friends, a trip to the movies, or a weekend getaway with the family. Or maybe it’s as simple as a mid-day bubble bath with a good book.
- Monthly special. Mark your calendar to treat yourself to something special each and every month to help keep the momentum of your hard work going. For me it’s a pedicure. That one hour each month helps remind myself that those feet carry a lot of weight as a wife, maid, car-pooler and work at home mom.
Stop wishing you had more time to yourself, and commit to making it happen. You will be amazed at how a little bit of time to yourself can make a huge difference in helping you continue to be the super woman you are!