Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Transcription & Writing > Writing: Freelancing

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:00 AM
Registered WAHM
Default Are Bidding Sites Worth the Time?

Are sites like Upwork worth the time? I had a client disappear on me and am in need of some money fairly quickly but am wondering if you can get a decent wage on sites like these.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2016, 02:07 PM
Grand WAHM

Competition can be pretty fierce, especially if you have any over seas bidders who bid pennies on the hour. At least that's some of the feedback I've seen.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:50 PM
WAHM Regular
Send a message via AIM to reese9905 Send a message via Yahoo to reese9905

I have found it beneficial. You have to have a killer proposal to get the client. I definitely don't bid cheap either. It is important to note that there is a 5 day hold on funds after they are released.
When you are down to nothing, remember God is up to something!
Old 07-14-2016, 09:14 PM
Registered WAHM

You're much better off pursuing your own writing clients directly. The high-paying clients are not on bidding sites, content mills or writer job boards - you have pursue them one-on-one. I use Linkedin, cold emailing and snail mailing to get most of my clients. I gave up on bidding sites and writing sites 3 years ago, and my income immediately soared thereafter! I charge 25 cents a word for basic writing tasks, and more for more involved work.

Create a writer website for yourself and start your own professional freelance writing business. That's what I did, and I've been making excellent money ever since (over $50,000 this year - and I only worked about 7 months of the year. The rest of time I spent traveling).

Hope this helps!

Kevin Casey
The Jet-setting Copywriter
Old 08-01-2016, 07:42 PM
Registered WAHM

I started writing 6+ years ago and my first job was off a job board that has now merged into Upwork. I still have that person as a regular client to this day. I couldn't believe my luck.

Having said that, if you're patient, you can find golden nuggets in Upwork and other sites. But finding private clients is generally more lucrative. I have a small handful of regulars and I get more from referrals, various forums I belong to, Google searches and Facebook. So don't only chase work in one place. The more you look, the better off you'll be.
Laurence. Writer, editor and proofreader. Ask if you need my help.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:47 PM
WAHM Regular

It is true that bidding sites can be worth the time. I think it is not wise to spend all your time there, but it can be good to spend some regular effort there. Another possibility is to do a bidding site concentration, but only for while you are prospecting for your own outside clients. Be sure to have comparable (or the same) rates if possible in the event that the clients you are prospecting to come across your bidding sites profile (don't be too cheap.)