Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Transcription & Writing > Writing: Freelancing

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 07:01 PM
Registered WAHM

Default The Non-Payers Lurk among Us

Despite all of the warnings you see on here and talk of non-paying clients, they still lurk among these forums. I just wanted to post this and remind everyone to take caution when taking writing work from those posting on here. Although I never normally take work unless the person has established themselves on the forums, I needed some extra income last weekend and someone luckily (for themselves) fed on that.

I was hired to write articles for someone on this board along with other members from here. There was a promise that payment was always made within 72 hours, but usually 24 hours as the person kept the money on hand and paid whether or not her client did. She requested a paid sample, I did it, was paid within seconds. I proceeded to do work for her, meeting deadlines last weekend and handling work for her. Throughout the weekend, the word was payment would be made on Monday for all writers. Now come to think of it, that was conveniently after all of the work was done. Needless to say Monday rolled around and the person never received payment from their client and subsequently could not pay her writers even though she stated she never waits on the client......more time rolls around and now the excuse is the client on Friday is paying her for previous work she did and she will pay everyone with that. Thursday and Friday more excuses and now no communication at all from the person.

This is just unacceptable in the writing world; however, it continues to happen. What these people don't realize is they are taking food from the mouths of babies, yet they don't care. It truly is sad. Oh well lesson learned.

Rant over.
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 09-13-2014, 08:02 PM
Super WAHM

Send a message via Skype™ to Robin Bull

Did you research that person before agreeing to work for them?
Old 09-13-2014, 08:05 PM
Grand WAHM

I am sorry this happened to you writing_gal. It's really not fair to do work and not get paid for it. Robin asks a good question. It really does pay to research opportunities.

I hope it all works out.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:40 PM
Registered WAHM

There really wasn't much to research on them other than their name and the name of their company. Upon a Google search, everything checked out. They have professional profiles places and write for some of the common companies mentioned throughout this forum. But I guess that truly doesn't mean much anymore these days.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:57 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by writing_gal View Post
There really wasn't much to research on them other than their name and the name of their company. Upon a Google search, everything checked out. They have professional profiles places and write for some of the common companies mentioned throughout this forum. But I guess that truly doesn't mean much anymore these days.
I was duped, too. She is lying. She has been active on a site that I write for. In fact, she was active the day she apparently left her husband because of domestic abuse, as well as on Friday and today! We need to report her!
Old 09-14-2014, 01:11 AM
WAHM Regular

Are you allowed to name and shame?
Old 09-14-2014, 05:43 AM
Super WAHM

That is why I am very leery of taking on writing assignments from people on this board. I have turned down several, just because of that reason.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4 View Post
I was duped, too. She is lying. She has been active on a site that I write for. In fact, she was active the day she apparently left her husband because of domestic abuse, as well as on Friday and today! We need to report her!
Just a reminder, to report threads/posts, please use the exclamation pointed triangle in the post heading menu. We cannot guarantee that action will be taken because there is always a he said/she said element to deal with so the most simple recourse is to just offer a warning to others on the job posting which resulted in work for no payment.

A reminder to others that unless you were the one who did work and didn't get paid, do not speculate publicly on who the member was who didn't pay.

Thank you.

P.S.
We've already reviewed this issue and there is no reason to report further.

This ad will disappear if you login

Closed Thread