Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Transcription & Writing > Writing: Freelancing

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:16 PM
WAHM Regular

Default how do you prioritize clients/organize time?

title says it all, really. How do you prioritize your clients and organize your time? I'm getting enough of the former and little enough of the latter that the old sticky-note method isn't working any more. I need something a bit more ... robust to let me know what it is I need to be working on at any given moment.

I'm doing this freelance gig full-time, though medical issues and whatnot preclude me from putting in full-time hours.
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 06-07-2014, 05:00 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Even after six years, it's still sometimes a struggle for me... Right now, I'm using my own version of the Bullet Journal method: The Bullet Journal Productivity Method Empowers Your Paper Notebook I include a weekly to-do section. Sometimes I'm just flying by the seat of my pants, though!
Old 06-07-2014, 04:25 PM
WAHM Regular

I use a combination of Trello and HabitRPG to keep things all sorted out. Trello is great for keeping things sorted and organized and get a broad view of what's going on while HabitRPG is a fun way to manage daily to-dos and routines.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:29 PM
WAHM Regular

interesting thoughts, thanks!

Bullet Journal looks good, if time-consuming hand-writing is slow for me, and tedious. Plus which I'd need more space on my desk. Which is coming soon, but is not here as of yet.

HabitRPG looks fun and interesting, but I play games in my down-time, so I don't need to confuse working with not-working any more than I already do. I use the same computer for both.

I already use Any.do for a personal to-do list, but that's getting clogged with to-dos that I ignore. So it looks like Trello might be a winner, since I can use it to separate personal to-dos from work ones ... Any.do has folders to do that, but as of right now they're poorly implemented.

I just hope Trello is available for PCs and Androids the video just showed Macs and iOS devices.

Thank you again!
Old 06-09-2014, 05:42 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Oh yeah, I've used Trello as well! I prefer handwriting a list rather than doing it on the computer, but I do like Trello. You can just go to Trello.com and set up a free account; I do it from my PC.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:02 AM
WAHM Regular

Yup Trello works great on Android. I prefer to enter tasks and cards on the PC, but do 99% of my actual board management on the Android interface! Good luck and hope it helps!
Old 06-09-2014, 09:00 AM
WAHM Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Robin Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jponorato View Post
title says it all, really. How do you prioritize your clients and organize your time? I'm getting enough of the former and little enough of the latter that the old sticky-note method isn't working any more. I need something a bit more ... robust to let me know what it is I need to be working on at any given moment.

I'm doing this freelance gig full-time, though medical issues and whatnot preclude me from putting in full-time hours.
I use producteev.com. It's free and has an app for both android and apple. It's project management software. I can schedule deadlines, tasks, etc. I set my Projects up as my client's name. Tasks are whatever I need to do for them. If I provide two articles a week for a particular client, then I set the task on repeat and give them deadlines to remind me what is due via email and through the app.

That's really helped me. I was using a paper calendar, but I like producteev.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:02 AM
WAHM Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Robin Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Even after six years, it's still sometimes a struggle for me... Right now, I'm using my own version of the Bullet Journal method: The Bullet Journal Productivity Method Empowers Your Paper Notebook I include a weekly to-do section. Sometimes I'm just flying by the seat of my pants, though!
I couldn't get into that...and I tried. It's just paper calendering. I spent more time writing things out than I did actually completing things...although I'm sure it works great for others!
Old 06-09-2014, 10:19 AM
WAHM Fanatic

I know what you mean. The way that I work, if it's not written down, I don't do it... and it really has to be in front of my face, on a notebook. Even the act of writing it down helps me to remember in a way that typing it out does not. Just the way my brain works, I guess! I put things on my list like "do laundry" and "call so and so," so it really functions as a to-do list for my whole life, not just work. I think that I have a touch of ADD, though I was never diagnosed, so it really helps me to have somewhere to jot down random ideas that come up so I don't fly off on a tangent (well, on a good day).
Old 06-09-2014, 10:38 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
I know what you mean. The way that I work, if it's not written down, I don't do it... and it really has to be in front of my face, on a notebook. Even the act of writing it down helps me to remember in a way that typing it out does not. Just the way my brain works, I guess! I put things on my list like "do laundry" and "call so and so," so it really functions as a to-do list for my whole life, not just work. I think that I have a touch of ADD, though I was never diagnosed, so it really helps me to have somewhere to jot down random ideas that come up so I don't fly off on a tangent (well, on a good day).
Yep, I was recently diagnosed ADD and I have to have a paper calendar/to-do list in front of my face or I can't function. I write down everything, including housework, phone calls to make, and of course which articles to write each day. My husband does not understand this and always wants me to switch to super techy to-do lists on my phone or computer, but I just never get around to using them. Maybe I should add that task to my paper list, lol.

This ad will disappear if you login

Tags
organizing, prioritizing, time